Have us gun nuts forgotten how to save money?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Have us gun nuts forgotten how to save money?

Deadeye
    Member #

Have us gun nuts forgotten how to save money?

Hello, friends, Let me explain the title.

I have two handguns for sale on two websites.

I have had six (6) offers so far...all for trades. ZERO purchase offers.

Have us gun nuts bought so many guns now we don't have any money in the bank?
    I am not selling them because i need the money. I am just thinning the herd of some safe queens that I really like, but have not really shot all that much.
    I am also not asking some stupid amount for them either, but no one can even come up with the fair price i am asking.

I sympathize with the younger gun nuts who are struggling as we were all there at one time too. But you would think when someone is in their 50's they would have a little more discretionary $$$ in their pockets, but this does not seem to be the case.

In browsing through the ads on both sites i can see where people spent an inordinate amount of money on a new toy and now it has lost its luster, so they are trying to sell them for stupid amounts. Do you really need some super accurate track driver AR when in East Texas a 70 yard shot is long range?

If they don't sell, I will just put them back in the safe. I don't buy junk and only get good stuff.

I thought this " trade ya for _____ " is kind of a weird phenomenon though.

DISCLAIMER: I WILL trade either one for a Model 29, but heck, after the summer, I may just go buy one outright.

Thoughts? Am I being too harsh on our struggling brethren?
    cajun56, Travlin, turbobug and 6 others like this.
    Proud Old Phart Member #358
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Marlinitus is a disease it's been known to keep wallets empty. Mine currently is right when I stumbled onto a golden 39A for $349.

Wrangler
    Member #
    They may think they are gun nuts but are they certified? Keep in mind many of the people today “think” they need a cell phone. Everybody needs a cell phone right? Have to be connected. It is nothing more than an electronic leash. With that being said they not only need a cell phone but it has to be the latest model available for hundreds of dollars. What silliness.

Next is cable tv. Everybody has to have cable. So many channels you spend more time changing channels than watching. I admit there is some good programming but why have 300 channels and only watch a couple with no local news It seems big business has buffaloed the majority of the population into thinking they “need” this stuff.

The bottom line is more money is going for these so called “necessities” and less money for firearms or hobbies in general. When they do buy a firearm they go in debt tricking it out. When they need some cash they try to sell the toy for what they have in it. Usually by then it is on sale at billy bob’s gun shop for 3/4 of their asking price... I think certifiable gun nuts buy more firearms than they sell...

“Discretionary funds”, not a lot of that today. Save? What’s that mean My dear Grandmother used to say “ you should save your money for a rainy day”. Most young people would just grab an umbrella as they head out the door (if they have one)...

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Cash! I pay everything cash!

It's amazing like you said the amount of younger people with no cash!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Speaking for myself, I've gotten to where I REAAALLLY don't need anything and unless it's a steal of a deal, I'm not buyin' at this moment. I think a lot of younger people also feel that new is better than used, no matter what it is. That, coupled with coupled with the fact that the younger crowd is more in to plastic semi autos than walnut and steel, doesn't help!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by old wound View Post
    They may think they are gun nuts but are they certified? Keep in mind many of the people today “think” they need a cell phone. Everybody needs a cell phone right? Have to be connected. It is nothing more than an electronic leash. With that being said they not only need a cell phone but it has to be the latest model available for hundreds of dollars. What silliness.

Next is cable tv. Everybody has to have cable. So many channels you spend more time changing channels than watching. I admit there is some good programming but why have 300 channels and only watch a couple with no local news It seems big business has buffaloed the majority of the population into thinking they “need” this stuff.

The bottom line is more money is going for these so called “necessities” and less money for firearms or hobbies in general. When they do buy a firearm they go in debt tricking it out. When they need some cash they try to sell the toy for what they have in it. Usually by then it is on sale at billy bob’s gun shop for 3/4 of their asking price... I think certifiable gun nuts buy more firearms than they sell...

“Discretionary funds”, not a lot of that today. Save? What’s that mean My dear Grandmother used to say “ you should save your money for a rainy day”. Most young people would just grab an umbrella as they head out the door (if they have one)...

I saw examples of this on both websites I am selling my two on.

They will say CUSTOM blah, blah, blah which only means they customized it for themselves.
    Especially their favorite Lego rifle the AR.

RARE! Custom AR with ________________ (long list of crap they put on it) for only $1,600. RARE!
    Back in the 70's the buzz word was COLLECTOR'S ITEM. I always made it a habit to walk away the second i heard that word. It always meant a 30% increase in price.

Now the buzz words from the gun runners are RARE and CUSTOM.....but I treat those buzz words the same as I did with COLLECTOR'S ITEM back in the day. Just keep on walking or scrolling.
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Wrangler
    Member #
    cajun, I do just the opposite. I have found I can make a couple bucks with a credit card. I have only 2 credit cards, both “cash back”.
    I pay for everything with credit cards and get good cash back every billing cycle. The key is that I pay it off in full every month and carry NO balance. My wife even uses it for “milk, bread, and eggs. I bought a $5,600 quad with a credit card. The salesman was not happy as it cut into his profit but he wanted to make the sale. Works for me...

Deadeye
    Member #
    Personally, I think we as gun owners have reached a point of diminishing returns.

Nice deals now seem to be few and far in-between and I blame the internet gun runners for it.

Used to be, a guy could find a deal at a local pawn shop or gun shop, but now they are also selling on-line and therefore do not have to sell what the local economy can bear.

I comfort myself in the knowledge they are not getting those ridiculous prices they are asking.
    The two times I had a table at gun shows, I cleared the table of everything because i kept my prices fair.
    Those gun runners do not seem to care if they sell anything or not.
    I see the same overpriced crap on their tables that has not moved in years.
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I may take trades but only if I think it's something which I know what it is and I can turn around and sell for a good price. Even then - use the gun shop mantra..... Trade + cash... Why? Because why should I pay a premium for somebody else's problem.....

I generally turn down stuff I don't understand.... Especially any sort of kit or parts built deal...

The worst for thinking stuff has big value is do-it-yourself builds.... They are always worth less than the sum of the parts. It's usually a better deal to part them back out and sell them.... AR's are just like electric guitars in this regard.... A complete premium brand gun like a Colt sells for real money just like a genuine Gibson electric guitar... A parts-master on some $75.00 lower - not so much. You are lucky to get fifty cents on the dollar for the build.... Usually more like ten cents on the dollar for the build. Part it back out and you can usually get most of your money back. That's life in that world though...

And so it goes.....

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by old wound View Post
    cajun, I do just the opposite. I have found I can make a couple bucks with a credit card. I have only 2 credit cards, both “cash back”.
    I pay for everything with credit cards and get good cash back every billing cycle. The key is that I pay it off in full every month and carry NO balance. My wife even uses it for “milk, bread, and eggs. I bought a $5,600 quad with a credit card. The salesman was not happy as it cut into his profit but he wanted to make the sale. Works for me...
    Smart!

I have just one card and have no balance month to month. I pay it off five days before it's due. Now I just bought a used motor on ebay and used PayPal credit to pay for it shipped to me. Received $22 in cash bonus to be used on ebay at the end of the month. It's small things like ink for printer or what ever I need, I use it for. I will pay off the entire amount on first payment paypal credit sends to me.

ca'jun56
    marlinluvr likes this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links