A recent $500 lesson learned about EBay
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: A recent $500 lesson learned about EBay

Deadeye
    Member #

A recent $500 lesson learned about EBay

I made only two recent transactions on EBay. One for $50 and another for $23. Got both items and all is fine...or so I thought.

Turns out Last Wednesday, the day of the transactions, ( Wed June 12th ) someone named EDDANI, BRATH, or BRATH EDANNI took $500 out of my account in Arizona.

My credit card fraud office gave me a robot call about the two transactions, but did not even once mention the $500 unauthorized withdrawal that flagged my account in the first place.

This tells me EBay is not secure and someone is selling and others buying account information to steal money from old pharts.

I have every confidence the two sellers were on the up-and-up, but my account information on the EBay system has been compromised, and those tasked with warning me about such activity also dropped the ball too.

I am sure and hopeful on Monday i will get the money back eventually, but I am done with EBay.

It is funny how of all the transactions I have made with Amazon over the years, I have yet to have even one issue.

Those that cal it FleaBay are right! Old Pharts beware.
    Proud Old Phart Member #358
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Deadeye
    Member #
    I had an experience about 3 yrs ago with ebay. I had bought something, not big, it came without a hitch. Then I get a call one morning from
    my credit card company to verify a sale, in Italy for sound equipment. I assured I had not been to Italy ever. They did not make the purchase
    but ebay was the only time I had used my card in several months. So it stands to reason they or paypal had a breach in their system...
    It Ain't Over till It,s Over !

Deadeye
    Member #
    I don't have an eBay account anymore ,I've heard to many stories like these .
    "An elk don't know how many feet a horse has" - Bear Claw Chris Lapp
    Team 45-70 member #1209
    Team 444 member #614
    Team Mauser #15
    Team Browning #22

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I buy and sell on eBay. I could be wrong, but I believe most eBay seller's use "PayPal" for their transactions. Did you pay for the items via Paypal which is "linked" your credit card?
    If so, I would notify Paypal and your CC about the error.
    If you used Paypal, they can see your transactions (price of the item) on eBay. PayPal has the seller's name/info. I wonder if Eddani Brath is the seller's name (ebay & paypal would have the seller's name/info.) or maybe someone (Eddani Brath) did hack your CC account.
    jim716, cajun56, Golphin and 4 others like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I agree with maki00. I would be more inclined to look at Paypal, than E-bay.
    I had a problem a couple years back. E-bay contacted me almost immediately, and canceled the transaction, and refunded my money. I guess they can't catch them all.
    I do hope you get your money back.
    Golphin likes this.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Never had the problem you had! Some sellers are very deceitful! I already had to get ebay involved to get my money back for broke junk sold as perfect!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Contributing Member
    Member #
    My bet is your problem is a insecure connection or Paypal but not Ebay. I have bought and sold hundreds of items and never had a problems with Ebay or Paypal. I would be more suspect of computer security on your end then I would be of theirs.
    shawlerbrook, jim716 and OLSKOOL like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Do you have a good anti-virus installed on your computer/cell phone? Your computer may have been comprimised. Also be careful of "CC phone calls"...the crooks call and act like it's who they are.......and beware of emails from "your bank". They often are "spoofs" hoping youtype in your banking info...so they can then know it.
    shawlerbrook and Golphin like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

"Straight Outta Dixieland"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I keep one debit card account set up for online use. I only transfer enough money in to to cover the transaction made, or the one (s) I intend to make that day. That way if someone tries to rip me off, there is nothing there to take.

Understand your issue, been ripped off twice, but the bank did cover it, hence the trouble I go to these days.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    And this is why I use prepaid MC or Visa to conduct bidnes over the Internet. the "gift cards" insulate my bank account from the web.
    BubbaJon, graymustang and msharley like this.
    "Step by step they were led to things which dispose to vice, the lounge, the bath, the elegant banquet. All this in their ignorance they called civilization, when it was but a part of their servitude." ― Tacitus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links