Possum picked a bad place.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Possum picked a bad place.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Possum picked a bad place.

Oldest son (36) - who didn't get any hunting genes from me -- is engaged to a lady from Albany, New York. Great gal, just what he needs, etc. but very urban. They are living in Saratoga Springs.

She flew somewhere for the week, then came home and picked up her car from long-term parking and then met him for a short trip.

Started smelling something, but thought it was just something they drove by and kept on going, spent the night and headed home, still getting occasional whiff.

The next day he was in the garage and she was emptying the car and decided to open hood to see if they could find what was smelling.

Lifted hood and found most of a Possum in the engine compartment. Apparently it had crawled up into engine compartment while parked at airport.

She screamed, son came running with shovel to take care of problem.

She fled, leaving him to find way to disentangle poor ol' Possum and dispose of his mortal remains.

Meanwhile she was posting to friends what had happened.

And some of her friends, being properly reared Southern Girls, sent her their best family Possum recipe.

I asked son if he'd let their dogs help in the cleanup. He didn't think that was a good idea.

Car is a year old -- they are hoping the insurance adjuster either knows a good place to get it cleaned and any repairs made or will just total it. They're not sure it will ever be clean enough.
    flatnose, JohnD13, Judson and 14 others like this.
    Wild Turkey

Marlin 39A Mountie, 1960
    Marlin 336 TEXAN .35 Rem, 1960
    CMP Springfield Armory M1 Garand, 1943

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Once a long time ago as a smart alleck little brother, I put sardines on the top of the exhaust manifold of my brothers skylark that he and his new bride were going on a cross country trip for their honeymoon......................The first few years he was pretty dogone mad about it then after about 10 years it gave us something to discuss when consuming bourbon.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    could you share the recipes

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I had a semi-feral Siamese female cat. The best mouse killer I've ever seen. One night she climbed up in the engine compartment of the truck. When I started it next morning, her tail did a trip through the pulleys, and had a permanent kink in it for the rest of her life. Her name? Fan Belt, we called her Fanny.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    I had a semi-feral Siamese female cat. The best mouse killer I've ever seen. One night she climbed up in the engine compartment of the truck. When I started it next morning, her tail did a trip through the pulleys, and had a permanent kink in it for the rest of her life. Her name? Fan Belt, we called her Fanny.
    An old girlfriend (the one that pasted the pet prescription warning label on my suppressed Ruger - 'DO NOT USE ON CATS') would come home from her vet's job and say, "Had another 'fan-belt-kitty' today". Those serpentine belts are the worst!

AC

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Well, I grew up in Albany, it wasn't so urban then, used to ride my bike with a .22 across the handlebars to go shooting on the edge of town. Saratoga Springs is a pretty upscale place, but not far east, west or north of there, nobody gets excited about a possum! I'm glad the lady's girls friends had some recipes ready for her! Hope they can get the aroma out of the car, maybe steam cleaning the engine?
    miket156, cajun56 and gunscrewguy like this.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Just another reason why I hate those marsupial rats (even if they do eat ticks).
    gunscrewguy, miket156 and cajun56 like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    Once a long time ago as a smart alleck little brother, I put sardines on the top of the exhaust manifold of my brothers skylark that he and his new bride were going on a cross country trip for their honeymoon......................The first few years he was pretty dogone mad about it then after about 10 years it gave us something to discuss when consuming bourbon.
    lol - I did that one too!
    gunscrewguy, mrguvna and cajun56 like this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson View Post
    Just another reason why I hate those marsupial rats (even if they do eat ticks).
    lol - I dunno why anyone hates possums. You'd be hard pressed to find a more benign creature.
    I helped a couple of adolescents through the winter a couple years ago by leaving out catfood and water and a small shelter close to the foundation. My cat made friends through the glass door.
    The possums now run across the back fence and apparently keep rats out of the wood and compost piles - they're worth it for that alone plus it's a hoot watching them run the squirrels off.

Oh - and they eat the slugs and other bugs - keeps 'em off our 'maters. Snakes - they eat snakes.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I imagine the boas in the everglades have had many a possum sandwitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links