Never Do It This Way
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Never Do It This Way

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Never Do It This Way

I am old enough to know better than do a lot of things. So I do constant research on a book that once published will keep others from the pit of mistakes. I think my first chapter was at age 17 when a buddy and I were at Pizza Hut when it was a very large chain and the place to go for pizza. I got an entire fire branding triangle of cheese on the side of my face. The research has been in many fields and friends do contribute. I have two new chapters going into notes: Never put your right hand ring finger into your large hound's mouth when he is having an epileptic seizure. I got the end of my finger sawed off, four stitches and the ER doc saying this could be an big infection coming. I made it clear and Caleb visited his neurologist and got a tune up. Turned out fine. And tonight I learned that it is a bad idea to bit the hardened end off a tube of Crazy Glue. I was refurbishing a very old hacksaw and needed to fix the wooden handle before going further. I bit off the end and got it on lips, tongue and teeth. My wife is a retired trauma nurse, so I am semi protected from myself. Sometimes my flubs are just plain expensive; like when I burned the end of a curly maple rifle stock. The project turned from a full size black powder Vincent rifle to half stock. Still looks okay..... but.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I am 66. I have done many dumb things. I am delighted that none of them damaged me too much although the potential was there in some cases. Sometimes you can read things and not make the connection. Example, old VW Beetles are a bit tail heavy and when the tail comes around it is very difficult to get it back in line. I had read this any number of times but still went around a wet corner too fast and left the road. I observed a big oak tree getting much bigger during this event. Fortunately for me, the Beetle decided this was a good time for a course change (this had nothing to do with my driving skills) and we wound up in a ditch rather than wrapped around the tree. A buddy pulled me out and off I went.

I am very careful around firearms and tractors. I am especially careful when I chain the tractor to the trailer in order to transport it.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Bit on a tube of super glue? Damn, son.....been dropped on yer head or what?
    cajun56, Padraig, Judson and 7 others like this.
    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....
    - George Gobel

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I was looking at my hands the other day and wondering how I got to age 70 with all my digits intact.

Except for letting a table saw nibble on my left thumb (20 something stitches but no serious damage) I've spent my life around tractors, power tools and other sharp things with just a few scars to remind me of stupid moments.

Hoping that I hang around long enough to have grandchildren to amuse with stories of how not to do dumb things that leave strange marks on hands and arms!
    Wild Turkey

Marlin 39A Mountie, 1960
    Marlin 336 TEXAN .35 Rem, 1960
    CMP Springfield Armory M1 Garand, 1943

Deadeye
    Member #
    None "ag types" usually don't understand how dangerous a tractor can be. I do a fair amount of chain saw work also. I don't care how hot it is, I always wear complete safety equipment.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1956CJ5 View Post
    Bit on a tube of super glue? Damn, son.....been dropped on yer head or what?
    Not the whole tube. Just the little bit of hard stuff on the end. I assumed there was nothing in it but hardened glue. Dead wrong.
    cajun56, marlinluvr and 1956CJ5 like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Never super glue a beer glass to bar while she aint looking. Really p hers off. Oh well, another tavern down the road.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Risch View Post
    Not the whole tube. Just the little bit of hard stuff on the end. I assumed there was nothing in it but hardened glue. Dead wrong.
    Hey. Don't beat yourself up or let us beat you up too much. I don't think there's anybody here that hasn't done stoopud stuff--even as a full-fledged adult--in the heat of battle. It happens. We smack ourselves in the head and hopefully learn from it. If we're lucky, we just come away embarrassed and not minus a finger or a limb or something. I break out in a cold sweat when I think about some of the stupid cwap I've done and narrowly gotten away with.

Tim
    cajun56, Mark Risch and marlinluvr like this.

"The Cowboy Way"

I'm not really a cowboy but I still want to be one when I grow up.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Doubt many here could best me when it comes to do'n stupid stuff. .....
    Mark Risch, marlinluvr and 1956CJ5 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Now the big question is are you going to be able to yell for help to get all the keyboard tiles off your fingers...LOL.
    Mark Risch likes this.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links