Remember Slow Food? (Email from a friend) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Remember Slow Food? (Email from a friend)

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    . . . At school we got milk in pint glass bottles chocolate or white. . .
    I did, too. The switch to the little cubical cardboard cartons happened when I was young, though. So young, in fact, that I remember that teachers in the lunchroom had to show us all how to open them. In a similar vein, about 15 years later, I was coming back from a fishing trip in Manitoba and we stopped for lunch in northern Minnesota. This was my first encounter with a sofa pop can with a tab that DIDN'T pull off completely from the can. Wasn't sure how to open that, either.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    My grandson asked what cell phone I had when I was his age, and was dumbfounded when I told him that there wasn't such a thing as a cell phone in my youth...............

"How did you talk to you friends?" he asked in amazement
    The best time to shoot is just before you get there, and just after you leave !!!!

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    I'd put my Winchester in a soft guncase, and walk to the train station or bus stop, depending on where practice was. I got on the bus or train, and there were very few looks. Just another kid with a .22 going to shooting practice. Winchester/Western Super Speed or Super-X target loads(yellow box) were 25 cents through the Civil Air Patrol, or 50 cents in stores when we bought our own. I got a job working after school in Junior High to feed my gun and cheesesteak habit.

Now they'd call out the SWAT Team for me, and an ambulance to treat the heart-attack sufferers.
    I was 14! I would buy my .22s at a corner store!. the owner would say, going shooting today boys!. I rode on buses. trains etc with guns in sock cases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    All this makes me want a RC Cola and a MoonPie
    94win30wcf, Mop, Travlin and 1 others like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Carols club burger. ring dings the big ones. old london cheese doodles.
    Travlin likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I remember girls wore mini skirts!!!!!!!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by montezumaz View Post
    Someone asked the other day, "What was your favorite. fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'Home'," I explained!

"Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents never owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 19 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the kitchen and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. My brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6 a.m. every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
    No sir. We were the last before everything kind a went as backward
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever Jac View Post
    I remember girls wore mini skirts!!!!!!!
    dont forget the boots!
    Travlin and gunscrewguy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Anyone remember Biff Burger ?
    Travlin and gunscrewguy like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Wrangler
    Member #
    Anyone recall when if you got a paddling at school you didn't come home and tell your folks trying get the school in trouble for doing it because if your folks found out you were going to get a worse punishment at home like a switch or a belt.
    gunscrewguy and 94win30wcf like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links