308MXLR Loading Gate and Loading Gate Screw

Wrangler
    Member #

308MXLR Loading Gate and Loading Gate Screw

O.K. I have a confession: I Bubba'd my own gun. Here's the story. I bought a used 308MXLR. I test fired it and accuracy was fine. One thing I noticed is that someone had wiped the gun with what appeared to be grease. Some of it got under the forearm and into similar small openings and dried. I decided that only thing to do was completely dissasemble the gun, thoroughly clean it and reassemble it. I got it cleaned and while reassembling I overtightened the loading gate screw and snapped it. It broke off flush with the loading gate. This screw is extremely hard as so far I am unable to drill into it using my drill press. I am having doubts that I will be able to remove the broken screw from the loading gate. I am thinking it might be simpler to just buy a new loading gate along with the screw. Is the loading gate for the 1895GS the same one as for the 308MXLR? Midway USA has parts for the the 1895GS, but I can't find parts listed specifically for the 308MXLR. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #
    Do not buy parts for an 1895. Your XLR is a 336 with a smaller loading gate opening. If you have a dremel tool try taking a very small carbide bit and cut the screw til you can remove the loading gate. Make sure you secure your gun so you can hold your dremel with two hands, with your elbows braced for stability. Once removed you should be able to remove the screw from the gate. If you have the gate removed try soaking it for several days in some solvent then try removing it. Usually a little heat will go a long way.

A good gunsmith will remove that screw.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks for the reply Swany. Actually, the screw snapped clean. So I have the loading gate with the broken screw flush on both sides. I was going to try a brand new 1/16 inch drill bit. Otherwise, I know a good blacksmith. I will try soaking and heat. Also, I forgot about the dremel tool. You gave me some great ideas.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links