Who does color case hardening? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Who does color case hardening?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Doug Turnbull from NY. His will be the best and the most accurate for period of time for the firearm. I've held two of his completely restored shotguns from the 1920's. They are spot on from what I have seen from the originals. Turnbull is the absolute master of restoration and CCH.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I texted Turnbull. Sara texted me right back with a "ballpark" estimate of $500. That's more than I have invested in the rifle.
    I wrote her back and told her thanks ,but I had to pass. I know they do great work, I have met Doug and have seen his work, but....Still waiting to hear from Wyoming Armory.
    kah64 likes this.
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

NRA Endowment, TSRA life, ex NRA Hi-Power, and Palma...lost that fight to cataracts and glaucoma....

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Connecticut Shotgun Company did the case colors on my restored Model 1893 in 32/40:

I bought the rifle restored and couldn’t tell you what it cost for them to do the case colors but they may be worth calling reference the quote you got from Turnbull.
    kah64 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    there is a guy who advertises on gb as a Ballard restorer, mclarkandson in e haddam ct.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    You didn't mention your budget in the initial post. Nasty inconvenient things, budgets.

Realize though, that the case coloring is the easy part. You pack it in charcoal, and roast it for a time and then you're done.

The hard part is the prep and polishing. And supporting the action with various blocks to prevent warping while the whole shebang is cooking in the the oven. The support blocks may need to be fabricated if not available for your rifle.

After that, hopefully, it all goes back together and runs smoothly. If not, some machining is needed. And the pieces may then need to be heat treated back factory hardness.

I'm not an apologist for Turnbull. But I want to point out that the whole process is a lot more time consuming, complicated, and risky than just creating the color.

Hope you're able to get what you want done inside your budget.
    kah64 likes this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    You didn't mention your budget in the initial post. Nasty inconvenient things, budgets.

Realize though, that the case coloring is the easy part. You pack it in charcoal, and roast it for a time and then you're done.

The hard part is the prep and polishing. And supporting the action with various blocks to prevent warping while the whole shebang is cooking in the the oven. The support blocks may need to be fabricated if not available for your rifle.

After that, hopefully, it all goes back together and runs smoothly. If not, some machining is needed. And the pieces may then need to be heat treated back factory hardness.

I'm not an apologist for Turnbull. But I want to point out that the whole process is a lot more time consuming, complicated, and risky than just creating the color.

Hope you're able to get what you want done inside your budget.
    I was curious about that. I just visited Wyoming Armory site. They seem to be very professional and had some beautiful examples and listed pricing lower than Turnbull's quote, but the pricing was based on polished and disassembled parts ready for the furnace. Are they expecting barrel removal? I think I would also ask if the price includes hammers, levers and trigger plates on a lever action. It could start to add up quickly.

Keith
    Ray Newman likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    My understanding is that everything to be color hardened is packed into a stainless steel canister which is then packed full or charcoal. You are essentially renting the canister for a run through the furnace. Whatever will fit inside the can makes one run for one price.

According to how many parts are treated and need attention afterward may then affect the re-assembly price. I don't know whether the lever, hammer, trigger plate, end cap, etc are at risk for warping. There may be additional charge for re-fitting additional pieces.

Interesting, but I don't believe I've ever seen a round 336 or 1895 bolt color case hardened.
    kah64 likes this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My 1948 336A cost me $225 turnkey. Is it correct? no, but then again a casehardened 336 is not correct.
    If I could find the smith that did this work, we wouldn't be talking about this, but as well many of you know, there are many things that contribute to a failed business.
    Paul was a great gunsmith, wish I knew if he started up somewhere else....
    Attached Images Attached Images

NRA Endowment, TSRA life, ex NRA Hi-Power, and Palma...lost that fight to cataracts and glaucoma....

Sidewinder
    Member #
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1...nix-ashes.html

Another plug for my friends work...

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Got a response from Wyoming Armory.
    I like what I heard from them, and their work looks good on these pages. Price is very good.
    I'll drag this thread up when I have pics of the finished work. Thanks all, Mike
    kah64 and HIKayaker like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links