Removing tiny scratch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Removing tiny scratch

Wrangler
    Member #

Removing tiny scratch

Crud,. I put a tiny tiny thin little scratch on the top back of the stock with a barn wire today when I was out squirrel hunting. I am dismayed I was so clumsy...I even had the thought, "watch out and don't scratch it on the Barb wire.....it's a tiny thin little scratch and not deep......but I see it....any tips on how to address the damage ......all thoughts appreciated....
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I will speak for myself only, but someone told a story bout a man who bought a new truck and the first thing he did was put a scratch in the paint with the key so he would not have to worry about scratching his new truck.
    I thought this was genius.
    might try a small spot with 0000 steel wool or 1000 grit sandpaper or just polish with a buffing wheel and fine buffing compound, depending on how deep it is.
    buffing wheel is probably the best bet
    gunscrewguy and BubbaJon like this.

ere
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The scratch is in the wood ?

I would wipe it with Ballistol oil. That make it hardly noticeable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    That's a good argument for a low gloss linseed oil finish, or something similar. It's easily touched up with a bit more of the oil.

For yours, I'd also try an oil, linseed or an oil based furniture polish. If there's an obvious divot where the scratch is, I'd consider trying to taper the edges of the scratch with a very fine steel wool, to soften the contrast. Then polish and wax.

Good luck.

But you'll probably get better advice from someone who does a lot more wood work repair than I do.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    MinWax and possibly others make scratch repair sticks and pens for wood finishes. Go to home depot and match up what you need. I wouldn't carry the gun in with me but you could reomve the stock and take it with you.
    gunscrewguy and Cowboy23* like this.

My heroes’ have always been cowboy’s

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    No matter what you do, you will notice it.... Wear it with pride, give your grandkids something to talk about when they pass around the ol'marlin.
    gunscrewguy and drinva like this.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Wrangler
    Member #
    Memory mark. You’ll always remember when & where that one happened. My dad, who has been gone many years, was an avid quail hunter. He used his shotgun to push down the top wire of barb wire fences to cross them. His shotgun looked rough, but he kept it clean, and it operated well (semi-auto). I don’t like to scratch guns, but it happens. It used to really aggravate me, but with fewer years left on the planet, I try to forget small scratches on guns. My grandsons can worry with those....
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Super Moderator
    Member #
    A picture of your scratch would help in knowing what approach to recommend. I've hidden hairline scratches with Old English well enough and a couple, after treatment, I've forgotten where they were. Just lay it on with a cotton cloth and let dry, polish out with a furniture polish and done.

Jack
    Ret_Eng and Gareth Holland like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have hidden scratches by just rubbing a bit of Tru Oil on the scratch and letting it dry over night. I also have hidden a few by just dipping a tooth pick in the Tru Oil and "painting" just the affected area of the scratch with as little Tru Oil as I can. Don't rub it in for this application, and it will sink in all the little micro scratches and blend in with the color. It is sort of like those pens they sell to fix clear coat scratches on cars.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I use wax sticks I buy from a furniture maker. You can buy different shades. Warm first. The wax, not yourself.
    BubbaJon and Gareth Holland like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links