Stock Refinisher recommendation?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By tedtf
  • 1 Post By Scorpiusb
  • 1 Post By 1956CJ5

Thread: Stock Refinisher recommendation?

Contributing Member
    Member #

Stock Refinisher recommendation?

I've got an older 336CS with checkered stock and forend that has some really beautiful wood on it, but has some scratching and dings. I thought about refinishing myself, but also thought it'd be nice to get it done by someone who really knows what they are doing. Any recommendations on stock refinishers? Maybe from previous experirnce. Thanks
    Scorpiusb and alawrence like this.
    If you're going thru hell, keep going - WC

336CS 35 Rem x2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Check out some of the threads posted by rjtmac... He's a genius at refinishing...
    marlinluvr likes this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Isn't really hard. Just strip off the old finish, wash well with warm soapy water, rinse and dry it well, sand lightly as needed, then soak it down good with a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine, wiping off excess. Do a few coats. Some like to buff with 0000 steel wool when dry. That's what I do anyway.

If the checkering needs touching up or recutting, that's another story though. Requires special tools and patience I don't have.
    cajun56 likes this.
    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtf View Post
    I've got an older 336CS with checkered stock and forend that has some really beautiful wood on it, but has some scratching and dings. I thought about refinishing myself, but also thought it'd be nice to get it done by someone who really knows what they are doing. Any recommendations on stock refinishers? Maybe from previous experirnce. Thanks
    I refinished the majority of my rifle stocks. As has been previously stated, it's not a hard job, it just takes some time and patience.
    I like several coats of Tung Oil followed by Minwax paste wax. It gives a semi gloss finish that makes the woods character stand out. It usually takes me an hour to strip the wood and a day to let it dry. Then I apply the Tung Oil, 1 coat a day for several days or until I get the colorization I like. Once dry apply the wax and buff to a polish.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links