• 1 Post By 4Charlie
  • 6 Post By ChrisZ96
  • 2 Post By CWT
  • 1 Post By Lever Jac

Thread: My First Stock Refinishing Job

Sidewinder
    Member #

My First Stock Refinishing Job

First crack at refinishing a stock and I'm pretty happy with it. 1982 39A, had a slight gloss to the finish but it wasn't as nice as it could have been.
    IMG_5627.PNGIMG_5616.PNGIMG_5617.PNGIMG_5618.PNGIMG_5619.PNG

Original wood, you can see some dings and scratches. Those came out with a wet rag and an iron.
    IMG_5628.PNGIMG_5629.PNGIMG_5630.PNGIMG_5631.PNG

The foregrip came out a lot lighter than the buttstock, but it seemed like it was just like that from the factory. I used Krud cutter because I read that Citristrip was too corrosive and could damage the wood itself (Krud cutter suggested from IraqVeteran8888 on YouTube). Next time I'm just using the Citristrip because it took forever with the Krud cutter.

I sanded with 000 and 0000 steel wool, wiped with a tac cloth, and then with 800 grit sandpaper right before applying the Tru Oil. I read that using fine wood dust from finer grit sandpaper seals the pores better than just oil alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Deadeye
    Member #
    Chris,

Looks great. Excellent method to use steam to swell out dents and scratches before sanding. Also, using fine sand paper then leaving the dust before applying the first coat. Did you also work the first coat with the fine grit paper to fill the grain?
    ChrisZ96 and Lever Jac like this.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Looks real good to me...
    ChrisZ96 likes this.
    Team .30-30 # 390
    Old Pharts # 45
    Florida Marlin Owners
    Marlin 1973, & a 2003 .30-30's.
    Glenfield 1977, .30-30.
    If you come to take my guns, you better bring your own...

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    IMG_5621.PNGIMG_5622.PNGIMG_5623.PNGIMG_5624.PNGIMG_5626.PNG

And this is the finished result. I wanted a higher gloss finish so after the last coat I left it instead of a light rub with sandpaper or steel wool. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, I think I put 5 or 6 coats on over the course of about two weeks. I wanted to make sure each coat dried before applying the next one.

In hindsight I may have lightly stained the wood first; I like the color but I thought the Tru Oil would have added a little more tint to it. Still satisfied, I think it came out pretty good considering it's my first time working with wood like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrschutz View Post
    Chris,

Looks great. Excellent method to use steam to swell out dents and scratches before sanding. Also, using fine sand paper then leaving the dust before applying the first coat. Did you also work the first coat with the fine grit paper to fill the grain?
    Yes I did, the first two coats. I also diluted the first coat with mineral oil so it would penetrate the wood better and bring out the natural style of the wood.

It wouldn't let me upload all the pictures in one post so I had to make a second post with the final product.

CWT
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I think you done great! Welcome to the "refinishing world". Now you can look for rifles that are in need of a little work and bring them back to life! It's addictive.
    Lever Jac and ChrisZ96 like this.
    Thanks dad for taking me hunting.

"Those who cannot cleanly dispatch their game using a .30-30 are either shooting too far, hunting inappropriate (too large) game, or are simply incompetent." Mic McPherson

https://youtu.be/RdLCxnXmuEw

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Great job. Looks great.
    ChrisZ96 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CWT View Post
    I think you done great! Welcome to the "refinishing world". Now you can look for rifles that are in need of a little work and bring them back to life! It's addictive.
    I definitely agree that it's addictive, seeing the wood come to life after a dull finish made me want to do more. The wood really wasn't in bad shape but I felt like it had a lot more potential than the factory finish. My '48 336SC has a beautiful finish on it that I'd never touch but the '82 39A just seemed like a flat dull finish, and the wood grains didn't pop like they could have. I'm definitely pleased with the outcome and now that I know how to do this I can probably find some beat down guns for a great price and take them back to glory with materials I already have now

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links