300wm no go bang
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

300wm no go bang

I finally got to shoot a whole bunch of my reloads and it was awesome .my only problem I was shooting my 300wm tc encore. I'm using federal brass and Cci mag primers. I fired 10 rounds just to see if I could actually reload something that would shoot a group rather than just go bang. Well 2 of the rounds failed to fire the first when I opened it it looked like a very light strike to the primer so I just pointed it downing a pulled the trigger again it went bang. The 2nd round same thing but this time I reaimed and it hit right in the group. Is this cause by the primer being to hard or me doing something wrong in the reloading process. And by the way I was able to shoot a 5 round group that is the size of a silver dollar I'm so excited to start really working up because this was an entry level load and still showed great accuracy for a first shot at reloading
    Team 45-70 member 38

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: 300wm no go bang

CCI has a reputation of their primers being hard. Personally, i prefer Federal. Congrats on finding a load you like!
    -Paul

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to ventilate something..."

U.S. Army Jul2005-APR2011
    Team 45-70 #332

Oz
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Check the other empties that went off first time, do the primers have a normal or shallow strike? If they are normal you may need to pay more attention to properly seating your primers.

Mark.
    Love people and use things. NOT THE OPPOSITE.

Team ANZMO Member #00

Team 1894 Member # 214

Team Bikers Member#02

Team .375 Member #02

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

H-bomb and Oz have given you good counsel. CCI primers tend to have slightly thicker cups, and some versions are noticeably harder than other brands. Do you have any fired commercial rounds to compare the primer dents to? That should tell you if it's the primers, or some other issue.

I presume you're using once-fired brass for your reloads.............after you deprimed the brass, did you clean out the soot in the primer pocket? The residue can make it hard to fully seat the new primer, and the firing pin winds up using some of its inertia to push the primer deeper. When you seat new primers, they should be a hair below flush in the pocket, just enough to feel with a fingertip. High primers are a VBT (Very Bad Thing), level primers are okay, but primers seated about five thousandths below flush are what to strive for. Seating the primer fully helps stress the priming pellet a bit, making for more reliable and consistent ignition.

Hope this helps.
    "Any black kid from the projects available to shout 'how dare you' about six times in front of the UN? Maybe then these virtue-signaling, good-for-nothing, leftist politicians and celebrities will jump to fix the neighborhoods that have been devastated by their policies." —Candace Owens

Member #

Ok got to looking and I fired 3 factory rounds today just to see where mine came in compared to te factory fodder my gun likes. The dimples all appear very similar maybe just a little more pronounced on the factory rounds but my primers seem to be seated just ever so slightly below the base like you reccomend. So I think what ill do is change to a different brand primer for these mag loaded all my other primer in all other caliber are also cci but haven't had any issues with them. I just hope its the hard primer thing going on. I was being extremely anal when I loaded for this gun because its my baby and goto gun for hunting everything and I know I gotta be on my game to make loads that shoot as well as the factory ones do
    Team 45-70 member 38

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

I've never torn into an Encore, but I'd bet there's a way to increase the hammer spring tension, and give it a little more energy for stubborn primers. Beyond that I'd switch to Federal primers........they're about as soft as I've ever used.
    "Any black kid from the projects available to shout 'how dare you' about six times in front of the UN? Maybe then these virtue-signaling, good-for-nothing, leftist politicians and celebrities will jump to fix the neighborhoods that have been devastated by their policies." —Candace Owens

Deadeye
    Member #

Well I did some reading around the Encore, seems to have a reputation of light hammer strikes. Do you perhaps have an extension on your hammer? This (so I've read) can cause problems with weak strikes. I also read that with the extra power spring the hammer extension could be used with no problems. Hope this helps!

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=86
    -Paul

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to ventilate something..."

U.S. Army Jul2005-APR2011
    Team 45-70 #332

Member #

I was thinking the same thing maybe a combo of primer and lack of inertia due to the old school hammer fall but ill defiantly try the primer theory first before I tear my baby apart a 3 dollar tray of primer is better than a gun that I jacked up. I have another question ad well cause I know your the man to ask apron how many times can a mag rifle case like this be reloaded on average. And I lied they are winchester nickel cases not federal
    Team 45-70 member 38

Member #

Well yes... In a way it is the pro hunter swing hammer I'm sure its heavier that a standard hammer but not as heavy as an extension. I'll have to read your Link and see if I can do a spring by myself or go to the smith but don't care for the one here much
    Team 45-70 member 38

Member #

Haha guess they think I can do it by myself says right there. Should of opened the link before I posted. Guess between that and new primer I may not have any more problems
    Team 45-70 member 38

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links