Whatever Happened to Moly Coated Bullets? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Whatever Happened to Moly Coated Bullets?

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have several partial boxes of molly bullets. I don’t like them because they are all but impossible to clean out off bore.
    rob42049, Maineiac and gunscrewguy like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I tried them in my Browning B78 and 1886 .45-70. Never saw any improvement as the rifles shot the same sized groups. Cleaning was a bit more involved as it more solvent and patches were needed to attain a clean barrel.
    rob42049, Maineiac and gunscrewguy like this.
    In real life may you be the bad ass you claim to be on social media....

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    The custom rifle maker and BR shooter that taught me how to handload originally was a big time moly coat guy, but as time went on, started moving away from it. He found it really did nothing for him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have used molly coated bullets in a number of rifles for a long time. I am no expert but in my 22-250 Ackley I had to increase the Powder charge by 0.5gr to restore velocity. This is in a Douglas match grade barrel, did I notice an improvement in accuracy ? I am not a bench rest shooter but it certainly was no worse. What I did notice was I did NOT have to use a bore brush (phosphor bronze) 1/3 Kroil 2/3 shooters choice with a nylon brush saturate the bore and let soak for up too 2 hrs. Depending on the number of shots 1 or 2 on a nights foxing 20 mns would do then first swab with a wet patch till clean then dry. I degrease my S/S barrels with lighter fluid but leave my ordinary steel barrels damp with cleaner until required then degrease before use. This is being mindful of some reports that Molly under certain conditions can be corrosive on vanadium steel. What I DID notice was if a barrel was squeaky clean before using molly and was a good barrel with a clean bore it did not copper foul anywhere near the same if at all. just 2 cents from across the pond, Gar.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I found this info: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=10694
    Though it doesn't have a date on it. I've been handloading for over 30 years, and have never had an interest in moly-coated bullets. Through the years, I did read multiple articles about them. I figured that for the average handloading shooter, they were not worth the effort. I am a proponent of thoroughly and completely cleaning a rifle bore of any bit of copper/gilding metal fouling by using top-quality copper solvents (not Hoppes No.9) or foams and occasionally J-B Non-Embedding Bore Compound (bore paste) to make the bore metal a "ground zero" surface after every shooting session.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I keep seeing reference to "Kroil" What is this Kroil of which you speak?
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!
    NRA Endowment, TSRA life, ex NRA Hi-Power, and Palma.. ..Team Bolt Action Rimfire #191 1948 mod 336A .30-30 mod 375 SC straight grip mod95 .45/70 1948 mod 39A .22 mod 395 .22 XT22VR .22 mod75 .22 Marlin Ballard .22 Team Old Pharts #401

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper531 View Post
    I was told several years ago that moly coated bullets make the barrel very difficult to clean. I cannot comment on personal experience, just hearsay. There is a lot of better informed people here than me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    It is the opposite. The problem is that before you use moly coated bullets the barrel must be cleaned of all copper fouling first. Moly will allow the bullet to squeeze down the barrel easier and leave it much cleaner after your shooting session. When shooting moly from our Service Rifles we did notice a slight drop in velocity for a given load which is due to less pressure needed to push the bullet down the barrel. If your sight dope is set to a specific velocuty (like 2800 fps) then you may need to add a tad more powder to bring the speed back up so that your dope tables work correctly.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Kroil is a penetrating oil/lubricant. Comes in a bright orange can. Essentially a Hoppes #9 substitute.

It's used by many as a powder solvent for gun cleaning. Relatively inexpensive compared with the name brand barrel cleaners. Works well, inoffensive and doesn't harm rifle barrels. May offer some long term protection against rusting, not sure. Hasn't harmed any of my paint or finishes.

It's about all I use these days except for copper/lead solvents.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    How about moly lube for cast bullets?

AC
    wilecoyote likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    ...never tried, but VERRRY interested to read about that !!!
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    ...next thing you know they'll want your pistol and your tobacco...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links