Loaded my first ever batch of 45-70 today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Loaded my first ever batch of 45-70 today

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Loaded some .460 425-gr 45-70 today from GT Bullets, first time reloading for me. Loading charge was the longest part of the process, I weighed everything several times and took very detailed notes of primed brass weight empty and charged to make sure I was accurate as possible with the Lyman pocket digital scale. Let me know if these look right. They cycle easily in 1895 SBL. I loaded them at the top of trap door, bottom of lever action level. Shooting for mid-1300s to high 1400 fps. Somewhat worried about leading with plain base, so hopefully pressures are low enougj to avoid that issue. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TXLNevills; 03-14-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Congrats! They look good to me. When are you going to the range? You KNOW we expect a range report!
    Bearcat 74, Kendawg and Maineiac like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson View Post
    Congrats! They look good to me. When are you going to the range? You KNOW we expect a range report!
    As soon as I can, maybe tomorrow. I was in Cabela's last night picking up case-lube, and there were 40 people lined up to buy guns... One of the Cabela's guys said it had been non-stop for several days, so I bet the ranges are over-run with new shooters, which makes me nervous! 😉
    Judson, doubloon, Kendawg and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    I would think you should have no problem with lead in the barrel working with velocities listed. Also looking forward to the range report. Reloading is the way to go!
    Maineiac likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificpt View Post
    I would think you should have no problem with lead in the barrel working with velocities listed. Also looking forward to the range report. Reloading is the way to go!
    Thanks! I've done a lot of reading and I don't need a hot-rod load to kill OK/TX deer and hogs. That wide flat front should do a real number on anything I can shoot down here. I had a great time putting these together. All my reloading stuff has been acquired over the past two weeks and I'm easing into it. Lee Hand Press doesn't look sexy but it seems to work for my small volume needs right now. I'll upgrade to bigger/better when time is right. You can't buy factory bullets to your desired specs, so reloading just made sense to me. I wanted to shoot heavy cast bullets at moderate velocity.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLNevills View Post
    As soon as I can, maybe tomorrow. I was in Cabela's last night picking up case-lube, and there were 40 people lined up to buy guns... One of the Cabela's guys said it had been non-stop for several days, so I bet the ranges are over-run with new shooters, which makes me nervous! 😉
    Your rounds look good to me but I'm a 45-70 reloading noob too.

As far as those people buying guns showing up at the range goes I don't think they will. Just panic buyers, those guns will probably rust to pieces before they ever see a range.
    Maineiac, pacificpt and Travlin like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by doubloon View Post
    Your rounds look good to me but I'm a 45-70 reloading noob too.

As far as those people buying guns showing up at the range goes I don't think they will. Just panic buyers, those guns will probably rust to pieces before they ever see a range.
    You're probably right. I hope so just for tomorrow, then they can have it for a while!
    Maineiac and doubloon like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Loaded some .460 425-gr 45-70 today from GT Bullets, first time reloading for me. Loading charge was the longest part of the process, I weighed everything several times and took very detailed notes of primed brass weight empty and charged to make sure I was accurate as possible with the Lyman pocket digital scale. Let me know if these look right. They cycle easily in 1895 SBL. I loaded them at the top of trap door, bottom of lever action level. Shooting for mid-1300s to high 1400 fps. Somewhat worried about leading with plain base, so hopefully pressures are low enougj to avoid that issue. Thanks!
    TXLNevills, that looks really good. The only observation I might make is that it looks like a really heavy crimp. Since you are indicating that you are going for some milder loads, the brass may last a little longer (not worked as much each time) with a slightly lighter crimp. Happy shooting!
    Johnny_S, ddj1, pacificpt and 1 others like this.
    Your reputation is what men say about you on your tombstone, your character is what the angels proclaim about you before the throne of God!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Good luck with your first range test! Do you have a chronograph? Nice to have when you are tweaking the recipe.
    doubloon likes this.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73, Team Remington 700 #63, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135, Team Winchester #131, Team 1894 #515

Wrangler
    Member #
    TXL,
    I am with you on loading between TD and Lever data. I seem to get the best accuracy and not get beaten up in the process.
    I hear tell that BUFFALO got piled up like cord wood with those kind of loads.
    pacificpt likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links