Loaded my first ever batch of 45-70 today - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Loaded my first ever batch of 45-70 today

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    looks real good. leading sometimes becomes a problem above 1500 fps.
    doubloon likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GITU1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLNevills View Post
    Loaded some .460 425-gr 45-70 today from GT Bullets, first time reloading for me. Loading charge was the longest part of the process, I weighed everything several times and took very detailed notes of primed brass weight empty and charged to make sure I was accurate as possible with the Lyman pocket digital scale. Let me know if these look right. They cycle easily in 1895 SBL. I loaded them at the top of trap door, bottom of lever action level. Shooting for mid-1300s to high 1400 fps. Somewhat worried about leading with plain base, so hopefully pressures are low enougj to avoid that issue. Thanks!
    TXLNevills, that looks really good. The only observation I might make is that it looks like a really heavy crimp. Since you are indicating that you are going for some milder loads, the brass may last a little longer (not worked as much each time) with a slightly lighter crimp. Happy shooting!
    Thanks for crimp suggestion! I had wondered about that. Will make it lighter next batch.
    GITU1 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MUZZLEDUSTER View Post
    TXL,
    I am with you on loading between TD and Lever data. I seem to get the best accuracy and not get beaten up in the process.
    I hear tell that BUFFALO got piled up like cord wood with those kind of loads.
    My thought exactly Muzzleduster!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendawg View Post
    Good luck with your first range test! Do you have a chronograph? Nice to have when you are tweaking the recipe.
    Unfortunately I don't have one at this point. I loaded off the tables and am just looking for what groups best. The table velocities are for 24" test barrel and my SBL has 18.5" so I am for sure below tables by some. All my reloading stuff fits in a couple range boxes at this stage in my journey. That Lee Hand Press will make me appreciate a turret press one of these days! Although I must say, it seemed to do just fine and was fairly quick at sizing seating and crimping. I primed offline with Hornady prime tool and funneled powder after weighing with Lyman pocket digital scale. Their little pan has a cool funnel built in and it works great. The cost to get started kept me from reloading for years. Then I got a 45-70 and in reading history of the cartridge I decided maybe we had forgotten what we used to know. Everything factory ammo is smaller bullets moving as fast as possible. I wanted a big fat bullet moving at more modest velocity, so here I am, learning as much as I can from you guys and reading. I wish I had done this 10-years ago!!!
    Last edited by TXLNevills; 03-15-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Kendawg, Maineiac and pacificpt like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    doubloon likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Made it to the range today. All of the 18 hand loads went boom. Loaded starting with 39.5 gr Reloder 7 and stepped up on 0.5 grain increments to 42-grains. The 39.5 gr shot the best group at 50-yards. Loads 40 gr and 40.5 were acceptable. Loads 41; 41.5; and 42 got continually bigger. Happy to stick with 39.5 as it was much more pleasant to shoot than the 42 grain load. Have to admit I was a bit nervous dropping the hammer on my first ever hand-load, but it was a thrill after that. No evidence of leading from what I could see on quick inspection. Will look closer later tonight. Really happy overall with how the GT Bullet grouped. Any of the loads are "Minute of Deer" accurate. Thanks everybody!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Forgot to say about GT Bullets. I weighed around 25% of my order and all were right at 425 grain if not dead-on. Every one I checked was at .460 diameter per my order as well.
    Bearcat 74 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Dropped another order for this time GT Bullets 400 grain gas checks, brass, and couple pounds of RE7. This...is...addictive!!! 🙂
    Maineiac and pacificpt like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    You are smart taking extra cautions when charging the cases with powder. Never have a distraction when doing this step. Always look down in each case with a good light to make sure things look all the same. With faster powders like Unique that use small amounts for each load, it's easy to double charge. I was loading the other day during this "exile period" and right before I was seating the bullets, I did what I always do and checked each case for a double charge. Sure enough I found one....my first. This proves that good habits make for safe loading. I think my Marlin and/or myself would have been damaged with a double charge. Keep your bench clean as possible when loading and never have but one type of powder on it at a time....and check those loads before the bullet goes in!
    Maineiac and pacificpt like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If you want to have some fun & a little softer recoil, stuff a few shells with some 2f black powder (up to the base of the seated bullet + 1/16"). It will let you experience the way shooting these used to be!
    Love my Marlins!
    "First in last out"!
    I have never seen a headstone in a Cemetery that said: "Gee I wish that I had WORKED longer!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links