Vintage Press?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Vintage Press?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Vintage Press?

My reloading press is a Lyman multi stage T Press. I wondered what they cost now, so went to find out. The only one I found was online and for sale as 'Vintage'. I bought it new, over 40 years ago. Vintage? I had a very senior moment. (Like when I found a book on snipers in an antiquarian bookshop, written by a friend of mine).

Anyway, it seems to still turn out good reloads, anyone know if I should look at an update, or maybe they just last? Do they wear out and if so, how? I guess if it works, thats good enough.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Yep getting old ain't for sissy's.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I had a T press I bought new. I wore the bolt out that turns the torrent, twice! after the second one snapped I could never find another bolt as lyman quit making them. I use RCBS A2 and 2A presses made in the 50s and 60s I also have a pacific that was made in 60s-70s all still work good and will be here working long after I am gone,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    I had a T press I bought new. I wore the bolt out that turns the torrent, twice! after the second one snapped I could never find another bolt as lyman quit making them. I use RCBS A2 and 2A presses made in the 50s and 60s I also have a pacific that was made in 60s-70s all still work good and will be here working long after I am gone,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Can I ask, I see how if the bolt snapped that would be a clue, but how did you know the bolt was worn out?

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I've got one of those orange turret presses, had it for 25 years maybe, still works as good as new.
    since getting hornady LNLap i mainly just use it for working up loads and short runs of stuff like 25-35
    22 hornet and some others.
    gunscrewguy and tranteruk like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I use an old Herters Press. I made a shell holder adapter that takes most of the popular new shell holders.
    gunscrewguy and rob42049 like this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I use an early 70's vintage RCBS Rockchucker press that I got from an old friend of mine 25 years ago. I also have a 1980's vintage RCBS Rockchucker that I use as well. I have one (the 70's one) set up for large primers, and the other press set up for small primers. No fiddling with the auto primer feed. Also, if something goes wrong during a loading run, I have an extra press to use so I don't have to tear down the one I am loading on.

Hard to beat the RCBS presses.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I do wonder if the new presses offer any advantages over my old Lyman T press? I dont see how they would?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'm using my 1978 Rockchucker. It was starting to look ratty with the 60's 'ish turquoise wrinkle paint coming off. Took it apart and had it black Parkerized by a nearby Mil-Spec plating company with Manganese phosphate. I use it for sizing rifle cases and prepping brass (primer pocket swaging, etc.) and my 1984 Dillon 450 for mass production.The Dillon just seems too flimsy for the heavy sizing chores. The two presses get along well with each other on the bench and know their places.

Kept cleaned and lubed they'll be good to go for another 35-40 years.

AC
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    Can I ask, I see how if the bolt snapped that would be a clue, but how did you know the bolt was worn out?
    well when I say worn out I mean it snapped from fatigue. it happened twice and all at once both times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links