Cleaning Brass
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Cleaning Brass

Sidewinder
    Member #

Cleaning Brass

So, I had this box of various brass kicking around the basement for a couple of years. I finally decided to do something with it. It turns out to be a good amount of some 7mm & 300. Enough for me to clean and sell. I sorted it all out and threw it in the tumbler with some Lyman media. I left in for hours. When I checked it, it was still all tarnished and dirty looking. Hmm. I figure ill try and clean in my new sonic cleaner. I didn't have any of the brass cleaning solution so I went online to order some. While online I came across Cabela's corn cob media with polish. I also found that if I wanted to sonic clean I needed to de-prime all the brass. Well it was a rainy day yesterday so off to Cabela's we go. Went to the E. Hartford Ct. store. That was a big disappointment. They (Bass Pro) are driving that store onto the ground. No more Bargin Cave, Prices threw the roof on a lot of things, they even put in a toy area,really disappointing. Any way's back to the brass. I picked what I needed, some reloading components along with a box of the Cabela's corn cob media kit ( 15.99 ) and some sonic cleaner brass cleaner to have. As soon as I got home I loaded up the new media added the right amount of polish and loaded it with some brass. I let it run for about 2 hours. Well I have to say, I was impressed. The brass looked new. I don't know why the Lyman media didn't clean it this well. I even tried adding cleaners to the tumbler with the Lyman stuff. So if you are in need some new media, I highly recommend the Cabela's stuff.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Yes, Cabelas has changed and not for the better since Bass Pro took over. In the ultrasonic cleaner I use hot water, dish detergent and Lemi-Shine. And depriming first get you clean primer pockets.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Wrangler
    Member #
    If you want your brass to be bright and shiny new looking hard to be a wet tumbler with SS pins and lemishine. I've got a media tumbler from Frankfort Arsenal and use dry media plus Lyman polish and copper plated BB's. Works very well for me.
    Team 35 Rem #781 JM 336 in 35 Remington
    Team 30-30 #1438 JM 336 in 30-30
    Team 38-55 #27 Mdl 1893 in 38-55
    Team 1894 #586 JM 1894 in 44 mag
    Team 22 Mag #190 XT-22M
    Team Henry #146 Frontier 22LR
    Team Old Pharts #389
    Team Wheel Guns #131
    Team Semi-Auto #76

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I have a Lyman Media Tumbler that I use with SS pins, a drop of dawn, and a little Lemi-shine. I works wonderfully. I do ultrasonically clean once in a while too.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I cut a drier sheet into 1" strips and add to corn cob media to remove the fine's.
    Team 45-70 # 1808 - Marlin 1985GBL 45-70
    Team 444 # 776 - 444 Marlin
    Team 1894 # 555 - Marlin 1894 44 Mag / 44 Spl. & Marlin 1894 357 Mag / 38 Spl.
    Team 30-30 # 1361 - Marlin 336BL 30-30​ 2018

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Czy_Horse View Post
    I cut a drier sheet into 1" strips and add to corn cob media to remove the fine's.
    no effect on the brass? Im gonna try it. thanks.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I had a commercial small parts cleaner that had 6 pots with screen baskets in them. It was sonic and agitated as it automatically rotated. I got it to clean fishing reels when I was in bussiness. I cleaned brass in it with the consentrate used by HVac guys to clean AC coils and it did a good job of cleaning. The brass came out cleaner than a whistle but dull. I was shining it in vibrator but decided I didn't care if it had a shine on it and dropped that process. I sold it because it took up to much space. Now I use Birchwood case cleaner in the vibrator and it does just as well, no shine either.
    Travlin likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbowhunter43 View Post
    So, I had this box of various brass kicking around the basement for a couple of years. I finally decided to do something with it. It turns out to be a good amount of some 7mm & 300. Enough for me to clean and sell. I sorted it all out and threw it in the tumbler with some Lyman media. I left in for hours. When I checked it, it was still all tarnished and dirty looking. Hmm. I figure ill try and clean in my new sonic cleaner. I didn't have any of the brass cleaning solution so I went online to order some. While online I came across Cabela's corn cob media with polish. I also found that if I wanted to sonic clean I needed to de-prime all the brass. Well it was a rainy day yesterday so off to Cabela's we go. Went to the E. Hartford Ct. store. That was a big disappointment. They (Bass Pro) are driving that store onto the ground. No more Bargin Cave, Prices threw the roof on a lot of things, they even put in a toy area,really disappointing. Any way's back to the brass. I picked what I needed, some reloading components along with a box of the Cabela's corn cob media kit ( 15.99 ) and some sonic cleaner brass cleaner to have. As soon as I got home I loaded up the new media added the right amount of polish and loaded it with some brass. I let it run for about 2 hours. Well I have to say, I was impressed. The brass looked new. I don't know why the Lyman media didn't clean it this well. I even tried adding cleaners to the tumbler with the Lyman stuff. So if you are in need some new media, I highly recommend the Cabela's stuff.

If you would like to see how REALLY CLEAN and SHINY NEW they can get, pick up a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. You will never look back. I forgot how many pounds of brass it will effectively tumble, but know it is quite a lot.
    Just don't fall for the hype about a " drier " either. Just spread the brass out on a dry towel and it will all be bone dry in an hour or so. No spots.
    There is a big advantage to decapping your brass before tumbling. Those primer pockets come out looking unused. I ain't kidding.

Order a universal decapper die if you do not have one.
    Proud Old Phart Member #358
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by VSala View Post
    If you want your brass to be bright and shiny new looking hard to be a wet tumbler with SS pins and lemishine. I've got a media tumbler from Frankfort Arsenal and use dry media plus Lyman polish and copper plated BB's. Works very well for me.

Thanks. I am going to try the copper plated BB route next time. Those tiny stainless steel pins are a pain.
    CWT likes this.
    Proud Old Phart Member #358
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Another wet tumbler here with the SS media. Been doing that for about 10 years and am still using the same media.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links