30-30 PPU Brass problem
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: 30-30 PPU Brass problem

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

30-30 PPU Brass problem

Hi all I have hijacked part of this from my thread on hunting with the 30-30 only ( 336 Forum)

I have used a load, H335 36.5gr with Speer 130gr bullets for the best part of the 30 years with no problems for 2500fps with no problems. This is with Win, Rem and Norma brass same P O I no pressure signs smooth extraction.

A while back the only brass I could find this side of the pond (UK) was PPU. I neck resized with a Lee collet die, chamfered the inside and outside of the case neck, deburred the flash hole and uniformed the primer pocket as normal with new brass. The only 2 cases I do not clean the neck diameter up on are 30-30 and .22 H because they are thin to start with.

Next I had a real Einstein moment there are times when I can be dim on a sunny day and this was one of them. Well it was a middle of the road load for this powder 34 -38 grs listed, I have heard 40grs mentioned. Well I loaded 100 rds all would be ok would it not, just a change of brass. OoPs well no, I fired 2 round and had sticky to hard extraction they also printed 2" higher at 50yds.

I know I know I should have worked up when changing anything but it was a middle range load. Back to the drawing board, Same primers CCI 200, same powder H335 and same bullets Speer 130gr fp. I had used a Lee factory crimp die. What had gone wrong, as I am in the middle of the Roe buck cull I needed ammo. Back to the fired Win brass, which was prepared from new the same way. This was reloaded with the SAME components and shot fine original P O I smooth ejection.

Now I am a simple soul but even I could not come up with anything other than the brass, less case capacity, larger flash hole or thicker case neck were the 3 suspects I came up with. My initial finding was the PPU brass was 0.5 gr heavier, this proved incorrect. I found exact matches in weight, I checked the outside neck diameter and they were the same. OK it's the flash holes thinks Einstein, wrong both measured the same, a sliding friction fit with a 1.5mm drill bit this miked out at 1.49mm or 0.058659 th but they were the same. Next I come to pulling 98 rounds, the Speer bullets taper from the case mouth so that ruled out a collet puller, so that left the bullet hammer. Ok I have pulled a lot of bullets over the years, 2 or 3 good taps on a 6" round billet of steel 3" deep as an anvil. Wrong try 4 or 5 really hard whacks to shift them and I can use a hammer.

The problem all other things being equal I can only deduce it was a hugely increased neck tension. OK but what to do, I have 200 pieces of PPU brass. Reduce powder charge to say 33grs and work up. Pop the primers and anneal the case necks and again work up. Rather than waste 98 primers I am inclined to work up a new load and anneal the next time around. I anneal to fire form Ackley rounds so it is not a problem.

Now my question to you all is remembering I am not the sharpest tool in the box is have a missed any thing ??. I should say all powder charges were weighed and dispensed from a RCBS charge master and were spot on. When I say these rounds were hard to pull I mean they were real pigs to shift, my bullet puller handle developed a very small crack which got the supper glue treatment.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with PPU brass ?? Any ideas will be gratefully received and no binning 200 pieces of brass is not an option. Thank you in advance Gar.

PS all brass whether new or fired was trimmed to length.
    Last edited by Gareth Holland; 05-24-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    94win30wcf and GITU1 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'm thinking it's the brass. I've been burned by their .303 brass, case separations at the neck?!

I've had bad luck with PPU brass.. I now understand what the last 2 letters stand for. Does anyone know what the first 'P' means?

Just kidding about the first letter.

AC

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Gunscrew, it would appear all roads lead to Rome as in too hard a case neck, do you think it is worth annealing the brass. It is not easy to find 30-30 brass over here. thank Gar.
    gunscrewguy and Gohon like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I’ve had Winchester brass split necks new in the bag. About the only new brass I don’t anneal right out of the gate is Lapua.

I would anneal a few and see if it clears up the issue.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have had problems with factory loads using PPU in 30-30. My 93 sporting carbine would not extract the PPU's from the chamber after shooting. They would stick most of the time. I have no problem shooting my reloads or factory Remington core lokt out of the same rifle. What perplexed me was that I have a Marlin 1893 30-30 that loves the PPU ammo and shoots it without issue, so my my small stock of PPU will be relegated to this rifle.

I can not confirm, but will speculate that 30-30 PPU has a case dimension that maybe ever-so-slightly out of spec.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    When I see PPU brass on the ground I leave it there.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Were these new cases? You said they were neck sized with the Lee Collet die impling that the cases had been fired previously. Have you tried these cases full-length resized? That might make a difference. Neck sizing for a lever action is uncommon, and may be the problem with these cases.

I've only used PPU cases for the .303 Savage in a Savage 99, but haven't had any problem with those.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I recently had a problem reloading PPU brass in 243 Win, with too much pressure in what would be considered a mild load. There were flattened primers and hard bolt lift. I've had no issues with the same load in Winchester, Federal and Remington brass.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Yep. Another here who has discarded all PPU brass. I've had consistent difficulty ejecting/extracting their brass. Most having to be pounded out.

Tim

"The Cowboy Way"

I'm not really a cowboy but I still want to be one when I grow up.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Youper View Post
    Were these new cases? You said they were neck sized with the Lee Collet die impling that the cases had been fired previously. Have you tried these cases full-length resized? That might make a difference. Neck sizing for a lever action is uncommon, and may be the problem with these cases.

I've only used PPU cases for the .303 Savage in a Savage 99, but haven't had any problem with those.
    They were new cases, I neck resized to ensure the same neck tension as some new brass can have a dent or 2. Gar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links