30-30 PPU Brass problem - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: 30-30 PPU Brass problem

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Annealed the case necks and seated a couple of bullets in empty cases, used the Lee factory crimp die. 3 smart raps with the bullet hammer and bullet comes out, this is a vast change from 4 or 5 really hard smacks before annealing. when I get 5mns I will see how they shoot over the chronograph. Thanks to all Gareth.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Well I do got quit easily, after turning the case necks I then annealed them this reduced the neck tension. Wait for it still hard extraction ok back to the think tank. I then had an Einstein moment, I would anneal the case body below the shoulder, well I did 2 stopping the colour running 3/8 above the rim so as not to soften the web area. Well that should sort it right ? well no 1 was slightly easier to extract the other was not. Ok think again, necks are sorted at 10th internal case capacity is not the problem my normal load is 36.5g of H335. I will load 2 cartridges of 33, 34 & 35 grains and shoot them over my chronograph. Start with 33 gr (2348 fps), stiff extraction it should have fallen out ? Never mind the 34 gr load try the 35gr (2415 fps). Hard extraction, just as another check I divided the 2415 fps by 35gr and multiplied by my normal 36.5 gr charge giving me a theoretical velocity of 2518fps. The actual load runs at 2507fps. So the velocity obtained was in line with the powder charge ? at no time did any primer show any signs of excessive pressure.

Conclusion the brass is just to hard and does not shrink back after firing as it should, it will be going back to the supplier accompanied by Mr Grumpy.

Solution I have ordered 100 Nosler cases from Brownells UK, and have cleaned and primed my Norma brass to be loaded later tonight. The Winchester brass did very well but was getting well past its sell by date. If anybody has any ideas please chip in, Gar.
    Bearcat 74, Vooch and art6555 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away
    Member #
    My experience with PPU, S-B and nny brass has been that all of it is SOFT in the K-region of the body above the solid head, the L region where the lower portion of the case body transitions into the solid head, as well as in the critical M-region of the solid head itself adjacent to the primer pocket. In some calibers, notably the .303, it is also thicker-walled and heavier than US manufacture by R-P, W-W and FC.

In NATO military practice cartridge brass is manufactured using an extra "pre-pocketing" step to induce additional work hardening when the head is formed, generally in two additional strikes, then the case wall is drawn to length, usually in two draws, longer cases such as .30-'06 in three, before getting an inter-draw anneal before finish necking and pinch-trim. Final stress relief will show the familiar blueish anneal color as proof that the final stress relief was done.

In 5.56mm, 7.62mm and cal. .50 BMG ammunition the Vickers DPH measured in the K-L regions should be 180 to provide adequate strength to avoid tearing heads off when firing in machineguns.

Moderate pressure sporting cartridge brass such as the .30-30 usually will not be pre-pocketed and head hardness probably will be in the 170 range, which is also common for 9mm pistol, .357 Magnum and .38 Special +P+LE ammunition.

Low pressure brass such as used for non-magnum revolver ammunition such as standard-pressure and ordinary +P .38 Special and .45 ACP below 20,000 will usually be about 160 Vickers DPH.
    The ENEMY Is Listening
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    I might be able to help you Gareth, the next time you run out of brass......let me know. I will box up some Winchester brass and send it to you. Don't buy that PPU stuff no more. That had to be very frustrating.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by art6555 View Post
    I might be able to help you Gareth, the next time you run out of brass......let me know. I will box up some Winchester brass and send it to you. Don't buy that PPU stuff no more. That had to be very frustrating.
    Thank you Art, I have some good US brass on order from Brownells Gar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links