30-30 PPU Brass problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: 30-30 PPU Brass problem

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sdh56 View Post
    I recently had a problem reloading PPU brass in 243 Win, with too much pressure in what would be considered a mild load. There were flattened primers and hard bolt lift. I've had no issues with the same load in Winchester, Federal and Remington brass.
    Same as me, mild load no problems with Win, Rem or Norma brass. PPU hard extraction and printed 2" higher at 50yds than an identical load with win brass. Gar.
    94win30wcf and gunscrewguy like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by V1Rot8 View Post
    Yep. Another here who has discarded all PPU brass. I've had consistent difficulty ejecting/extracting their brass. Most having to be pounded out.

Tim
    Now it would appear to be a common denominator here, different guns, different brass, different calibres. The only thing in common is PPU brass now the question is what is it. It would appear the brass is just to hard, I will try annealing some and see what happens. Gar.
    V1Rot8, gunscrewguy and Lever Jac like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Not too much trouble here. Compared to Fiocchi brass, PPU is the best made. I think most of my .30-30 brass is Remington and Winchester.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Marlins: 1951 336RC .30-30 - 1951 39A "Peanut" - 1988 Model 60 (22" blued) - 1972 Glenfield Model 75 .22LR
    Bangin' Blackhawks Member #30 Team .22 Mag Member #69 Team 30-30 Member #1328 Team Rossi #77

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    I recently tried to convert some mixed .223 brass to 300 blackout and now have 40 pieces of the 250 that will not chamber in my rifle. After pulling them back apart, I found that the brass of the PPU cases is thicker by 0.003 to 0.005 and thereby increased the outside neck diameter enough that it would not chamber. Lesson learned. I decided it wasn't worth the effort to neck turn the brass to save $2 worth of primers.

I'd say, reduce the charge and work up. Then keep the PPU brass separate.
    Your reputation is what men say about you on your tombstone, your character is what the angels proclaim about you before the throne of God!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    GITU1, Matt my buddy who works with me on the weekends is a precision engineer, I ran it past him when we were toping up the Pheasant feeders only 90 sacks today. As the neck diameter of loaded cases was the same he reckoned cheap brass and the mix is to hard maybe to much nickel. As I have 200 of the dam things I will anneal a few, just seat a few bullets in empty cases and see what they are like to pull. If they are any easier (less neck tension) I will work up a new load. I will look again at neck thickness and make a call, I would sooner scrap the lot than turn 200 necks. I will update on how it turns out. Gar.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If PPU brass is thicker than other brands that equates to less case capacity thus higher pressure with a like load that is charged into thinner brass. Higher pressures with PPU would exacerbate brass neck sticking as well.

AC

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Instead of weighing the brass to find case capacity it would be much more accurate to to weigh the brass, fill it with water to a comparable measurement and compare to a brass that has been working for you. I suspect case capacity is the culprit. 30-30 is loaded to a higher pressure in European factory loads thus the thicker brass
    Vooch, GasGuzzler and gunscrewguy like this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Bryan, the PPU brass holds 6 more grains of water that the win brass. I am half way through turning the case necks, I measured the Win case necks.009 - .011 th, I am turning the PPU to .010 th, the thing is the PPU brass was NOT thicker than some of the win brass. I will then anneal and take it from there. I will say again I have never had any bullet in any calibre so hard to pull as the PPU cases. After annealing I am going to seat a couple of bullets and pull them without loading any powder or seating a primer just to see what neck tension I now have. Gareth.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Holland View Post
    Gunscrew, it would appear all roads lead to Rome as in too hard a case neck, do you think it is worth annealing the brass. It is not easy to find 30-30 brass over here. thank Gar.
    Read somewhere once that PPU brass was harder than most other brass. First thing I do with PPU brass whether new or once fired is anneal the necks. Can't say that is the cure but I've never had a problem with PPU brass after annealing.
    SI VIS PACEM--PARA BELLUM

WHAT WE THINK WE BECOME

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohon View Post
    Read somewhere once that PPU brass was harder than most other brass. First thing I do with PPU brass whether new or once fired is anneal the necks. Can't say that is the cure but I've never had a problem with PPU brass after annealing.
    Gohon, that I think that nails it, I will post with results after annealing thank you. Gareth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links