Overall length problem when loading .32-40 with old WCF cases
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Overall length problem when loading .32-40 with old WCF cases

Tinhorn
    Member #

Overall length problem when loading .32-40 with old WCF cases

Hi all,

I am starting reloading for an old M1893 Marlin .32-40. I have acquired some old production (yellow box) Winchester cases (new, unfired) and some once fired Winchester "John Wayne" nickel plated cases. The reloading manual said case overall length is 2.13 inches ith cartridge max overall length of 2.500 inches. I am using some Speer .321 diameter 170 grain softpoint jacketed bullets.

My problem is when the bullet is seated to the crimp line the overall length of the cartridge is way out of spec (like 2.68 inches!) When I try to seat the bullet deeper the case starts to
    bulge before the overall length is within spec. In this photo you can see the bulge in the casing. IMG-1268.JPGIMG-1255.JPG

Any thoughts on what the problem is here? Incorrect bullet? Case specifications are wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Alan
    94win30wcf and PoopDeckPappy like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I started to opine that your bullets were for the 8mm Mauser but see that they are .32 Spl bullets. Any chance of getting some 165 grain cast bullets. The you would be shorter.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    did you seat and crimp the bullet at the same time. yrs ago I loaded for the 32.40 with that bullet. different case. seat the bullet in one step. crimp with another step. do the rds function and chamber with the rifle.
    Travlin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    what case is in your picture? it not nickle plated.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    So either the case is too long or the cannalure is not correct for your cases. Do you have cases that fit? are they the same case length as the ones that don't fit. As a handloader, one of our functions to to make the cases fit the chamber, regardless (almost) what the book says. Your cases do not fit the bullet you are using. When you size the cases, make sure they are sized correctly, ie to fit your chamber. Do you have any that were fired in your chamber? If so, take some measurements and make sure it really is 32-40 in there and check shoulder lengths (or taper lengths). The cannalure on the case is preventing the bullet from seating deeper, so you need to run the expander plug deep enough to iron that out.

IF we were at your bench, this would be easy, but trying to second guess what is happening can be a struggle...good luck.
    94win30wcf and Travlin like this.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 94win30wcf View Post
    what case is in your picture? it not nickle plated.
    Yes, it is one of the brass WCF .32-40 casings which are new, unfired.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    So either the case is too long or the cannalure is not correct for your cases. Do you have cases that fit? are they the same case length as the ones that don't fit. As a handloader, one of our functions to to make the cases fit the chamber, regardless (almost) what the book says. Your cases do not fit the bullet you are using. When you size the cases, make sure they are sized correctly, ie to fit your chamber. Do you have any that were fired in your chamber? If so, take some measurements and make sure it really is 32-40 in there and check shoulder lengths (or taper lengths). The cannalure on the case is preventing the bullet from seating deeper, so you need to run the expander plug deep enough to iron that out.

IF we were at your bench, this would be easy, but trying to second guess what is happening can be a struggle...good luck.

Thanks Sweetwater! The die set I am using only comes with the resizing/de-priming die, and a seating die.

The nickel plated casings (which I have not tried to load yet) were fired in this rifle.

I am starting to think that I don't have the resizing die adjusted correctly . . .

Thanks,

Alan

Gunfighter
    Member #
    That's probably right, but it still won't help you with the cannelures on 32 Special bullets--they're in the wrong place for the 32-40. You can either get a tool (I think Lee makes them) to put a second cannelure on them, further up the bullet, or crimp with a Lee FCD, which doesn't require a bullet cannelure. The old Remington 32-40 bullets had 3 cannelures and a grease groove, even though they were jacketed, so you could crimp at the one closest to your chamber size; they were .320 diameter, and had flat points and a lot of exposed lead so as to expand correctly at 32-40 speeds. They were also used in the 32WS, though perhaps a bit undersized--no biggy! B22824 was Remington's designation for that bullet; it was 165gr. Watch for 'em on GB; they show up two or three times a year.
    windy
    sonny, whar i growed up "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter"!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks Windy for the input and history!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    That's probably right, but it still won't help you with the cannelures on 32 Special bullets--they're in the wrong place for the 32-40. You can either get a tool (I think Lee makes them) to put a second cannelure on them, further up the bullet, or crimp with a Lee FCD, which doesn't require a bullet cannelure. The old Remington 32-40 bullets had 3 cannelures and a grease groove, even though they were jacketed, so you could crimp at the one closest to your chamber size; they were .320 diameter, and had flat points and a lot of exposed lead so as to expand correctly at 32-40 speeds. They were also used in the 32WS, though perhaps a bit undersized--no biggy! B22824 was Remington's designation for that bullet; it was 165gr. Watch for 'em on GB; they show up two or three times a year.
    windy

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Hi all,

So I was looking at my reloading dies (from Lee Precision) and noticed that the resizing/decapping die and the seating die have different caliber markings on them. Do you folks think this might be part of the problem I am having?

Thanks,

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links