Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Overall length problem when loading .32-40 with old WCF cases

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Land Cruiser 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am starting reloading for an old M1893 Marlin .32-40. I have acquired some old production (yellow box) Winchester cases (new, unfired) and some once fired Winchester "John Wayne" nickel plated cases. The reloading manual said case overall length is 2.13 inches ith cartridge max overall length of 2.500 inches. I am using some Speer .321 diameter 170 grain softpoint jacketed bullets.

My problem is when the bullet is seated to the crimp line the overall length of the cartridge is way out of spec (like 2.68 inches!) When I try to seat the bullet deeper the case starts to
bulge before the overall length is within spec. In this photo you can see the bulge in the casing. Calipers Measuring instrument Gauge Metal
Technology Electronic device Electronic instrument

Any thoughts on what the problem is here? Incorrect bullet? Case specifications are wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Alan

See less See more
#2 ·
I started to opine that your bullets were for the 8mm Mauser but see that they are .32 Spl bullets. Any chance of getting some 165 grain cast bullets. The you would be shorter.

#5 ·
So either the case is too long or the cannalure is not correct for your cases. Do you have cases that fit? are they the same case length as the ones that don't fit. As a handloader, one of our functions to to make the cases fit the chamber, regardless (almost) what the book says. Your cases do not fit the bullet you are using. When you size the cases, make sure they are sized correctly, ie to fit your chamber. Do you have any that were fired in your chamber? If so, take some measurements and make sure it really is 32-40 in there and check shoulder lengths (or taper lengths). The cannalure on the case is preventing the bullet from seating deeper, so you need to run the expander plug deep enough to iron that out.

IF we were at your bench, this would be easy, but trying to second guess what is happening can be a struggle...good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks Sweetwater! The die set I am using only comes with the resizing/de-priming die, and a seating die.

The nickel plated casings (which I have not tried to load yet) were fired in this rifle.

I am starting to think that I don't have the resizing die adjusted correctly . . .

Thanks,

Alan

#8 ·
That's probably right, but it still won't help you with the cannelures on 32 Special bullets--they're in the wrong place for the 32-40. You can either get a tool (I think Lee makes them) to put a second cannelure on them, further up the bullet, or crimp with a Lee FCD, which doesn't require a bullet cannelure. The old Remington 32-40 bullets had 3 cannelures and a grease groove, even though they were jacketed, so you could crimp at the one closest to your chamber size; they were .320 diameter, and had flat points and a lot of exposed lead so as to expand correctly at 32-40 speeds. They were also used in the 32WS, though perhaps a bit undersized--no biggy! B22824 was Remington's designation for that bullet; it was 165gr. Watch for 'em on GB; they show up two or three times a year.
windy

#12 ·
The expander plug I mentioned should be in the sizing die. It would be keeping the decapping pin in place, as well. When the case is pushed into the die, the decapping pin knocks out the old primer and the sizer squeezes the neck down to undersize. When you pull the case out of the die the expander plug pushes the neck out to size.

The 32 Win SPl seating die will work with the 32-40, but the 32 Win Spl sizer die is all wrong. See if Lee will fix that for ya and get you a Lee Factory Crimp die. You may not find one for the 32=40, but the 32 Win SPl should work as they are the same nominal length and diamter. Try before you buy. Shoot me a pm with you address. I'll be back home in a week and will loan you mine. They can be pricey, though not always.

Reactions: rob42049
#13 ·
Does the die on the left say 32 Win SPL? If it does, its the wrong die for your rifle.

Reactions: rob42049
#16 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am starting reloading for an old M1893 Marlin .32-40. I have acquired some old production (yellow box) Winchester cases (new, unfired) and some once fired Winchester "John Wayne" nickel plated cases. The reloading manual said case overall length is 2.13 inches ith cartridge max overall length of 2.500 inches. I am using some Speer .321 diameter 170 grain softpoint jacketed bullets.

My problem is when the bullet is seated to the crimp line the overall length of the cartridge is way out of spec (like 2.68 inches!) When I try to seat the bullet deeper the case starts to
bulge before the overall length is within spec. In this photo you can see the bulge in the casing. View attachment 753539 View attachment 753541

Any thoughts on what the problem is here? Incorrect bullet? Case specifications are wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Alan

Alan,

I agree with others. You should try cast bullets. Plain Base for traditional loads and possibly Gas Check if you want/need more velocity.

The nose lenght on jacketed bullets is too long if your cases have the traditional ring that is intended to limit bullet seating depth.

The only other option would be to make your own cases from 38-55 brass. You can pick up some starline brass and use your 32-40 full lenght sizer die to form the 32-40. Your formed case will not have the bullet depth seating ring stop possibly allowing you to seat a little deeper.

If you go the option of forming your own, get the shorter 38-55 case version. It will stretch and still need triming to the correct lenght. Use a quality lube like Imperial wax and only size about 1/8 - 1/4" at a time turning your die down two turn each cycle until fully sized.

Good luck.

#19 ·
Hi all,

The nice folks at Lee Precision sent me a different bullet seater which allows using these .32 Special bullets and getting the correct OAL. I have also ordered some cast lead 165 grain bullets from Montana Bullet Works which should arrive this week.

Land Cruiser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.