25-20 reloaders - Page 117
Page 117 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1499
Like Tree340Likes

Thread: 25-20 reloaders

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Actually, your idea of too much capacity on the RCBS mold is what pushed me into having it modified. During testing and during NRA matches, I point the rifle up when levering and slowly bring it back to horizontal. I didn't realize that NOE was making a clone of these bullets. Did they change anything except for adding the gas check?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Thicker base band. Much shallower lube grooves 89 grains. See it on the NOE site.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    All looks good and sounds good to me. I did notice more base band on the GC version, the thin ones his other GC designs always bothered me. Sooo, how does it shoot compared to the bullets from the RCBS mold?
    Last edited by Irascible; 04-17-2015 at 11:58 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    That's what I'm figuring out now.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Regarding Remington 25-20 cases I recieved this reply back from them
    Mr. Neher,
    25-20 loaded ammunition is a highly seasonal item and is ran in small batches. Later in the year you will most likely see it come available. Components for 25-20 is a different story as components are dedicated first for loaded ammo and then whats left over is used for individual sale of components. At this time we do not have a time frame as to when new brass and the soft point projectiles will land on the market for 25-20.

Thank you and best regards,
    Remington Customer Services

I hope they make a larger run than they did last year.
    blackdog likes this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Sidewinder
    Member #
    While I can't give you a detailed report on this modified RCBS NOE bullet as cast yet.... I can on the gascheck version I hollow point for varmint hunting!

First, the original RCBS held WAY TOO MUCH lube! Black powder design. Even lube just in bottom groove is too much. The new NOE design is MUCH better as well as a stronger bullet.

I have a small bench lathe that I have bullet collets for. These collets have adjustable internal stops. So it is easy and fast for me to hollow point bullets accurately and quick. I put a LARGE HP in the gascheck version. (.100" x .450" deep) This was an 80gr finished bullet. My very accurate scoped Savage Model 23 loves this HP! Loves it with under minute of angle accuracy! My loads were "WHV" for the stronger bolt gun at 1800 fps.

We hunted ground squirrels last week. Even though an inch of snow was on the ground at 5000 feet elevation the squirrels were out! My friend and I helped the rancher eliminate over 100 of his pasture destroyers.

The NOE GC with hollow point performed both flawless and explosive! My life-long buddy summed it up best..... "I can't believe it! That cast bullet of yours hits like a .223 with a V-Max!"

2520WHV
    Steve_In and LtFrankDrebbin like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I'm a bit confused on what bullet you were reporting on. After reading the post a few times, I'm assuming that you are not reporting on NOE's version of the RCBS bullet, but rather the NOE copy of the Ranch Dog bullet?
    How about some loading info. Alloy, Powder charge and primers.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    I'm a bit confused on what bullet you were reporting on. After reading the post a few times, I'm assuming that you are not reporting on NOE's version of the RCBS bullet, but rather the NOE copy of the Ranch Dog bullet?
    How about some loading info. Alloy, Powder charge and primers.
    Sorry..... My report was on the NOE gaschecked version of the RCBS copy with improvements(NOE 260 89gr GC). I hollow pointed them for violent expansion. I have tested this bullet as cast in a .250-3000 with excellent results... just not in the .25-20 as of yet. It's a good bullet; way better than the 80gr one with that narrow band above gascheck as you mentioned! (NOE 260 80gr GC)

I cast soft (8.5bhn) and use small pistol primers. 1680 is a good powder.

2520WHV

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I had brain fade the other day and primed 50 cases with Fed 205m rather than Fed 100. So as not to waste them I decided to test some NOE GC versions of the RD bullet. 1/2 were lubed with LLA via the dip, dry, size re-dip method while the other 1/2 was lubed in my STAR with BAC. I cleaned the barrel with Ed's Red before and after the first lube trials. I ran a dry patch through and then fired 2 5 shot groups with the BAC lube. First shot 1/2" out of the group the next four within a 1" circle. Second group all within 1". Third group about 2". I'm starting to wonder if that bullet doesn't also have too much lube capacity? I then cleaned again and found lots of black greasy fouling. Then I fired 2 more groups with the LLA lubed bullets. The first shot was barely out of the 1" circle formed by the remaining 4. Second group all 5 within the 1" circle. Cleaning produced the same black greasy fouling.
    This was with the 1894 Classic, at 50yds, front bag only. receiver sight and blade front. This is the best I have gotten out of this bullet. The load was 6.2gr of IMR 4227.
    Last edited by Irascible; 05-10-2015 at 10:07 AM.
    blackdog likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I see absolutely no need for "dipping" the bullet twice, and furthermore the "dip" method of applying LLA has seemed to me to over apply it for what we're doing here even if it is "dipped" one time. The lube doesn't need to be slathered on a low velocity round, and simply contributes to lubrication problems.....as in too much. Dipping once is slathering it on......"dipping" it twice is double overkill. I don't see "dipping" as a viable way of applying LLA but rather an exercise in detrimental excess.

Dump them into a container, add a small amount of lube, and shake until LIGHTLY coated. Then spread on wax paper to dry and load them. The NOE bullet has skinny bands and large lube grooves and yep, probably too much lube capacity. Less lube means less flyers and less sensitivity to bore condition from overlubrication.

If the bullet must be sized the pre sizing application of lube should be VERY light, only enough to prevent the sizer from leading. There should be no appreciable buildup of lube in grooves or you're lubing too much. Then the reapplication of lube should be VERY light after sizing. Filling lube grooves with LLA is missing the point of the lube.....it is a tumble lube, key word tumble, and is not intended to fill lube grooves, especially non tumble lube bullets. The emphasis is on tumble, lightly, not "dip." There is no way to "dip" lube without overapplying LLA for this purpose.
    Last edited by 35remington; 05-10-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links