safety of vintage brass?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By papajohn

Thread: safety of vintage brass?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

safety of vintage brass?

I have a chance to purchase Up to 1000 rounds of new, but vintage, unprimed, unfired Remington cases in .44 Rem. Mag. at a very good price.
    They are in the original factory boxes which are orange and green (they remind me of the kitchen on The Brady Bunch circa 1972) and are not marked with a UPC barcode.
    Yes, they ARE in boxes with styrofoam inserts just like factory new loads, and not in bags. I went ahead and brought a few home, and the cases are clean inside and out.
    Considered opinions please - are these safe for standard velocity handloads? For re-loading as well?
    Besides the normal safeguards (checking for damaged cases, etc.) are there any special concerns I should have? Or should I just go ahead and buy all he has and shoot away!?!?
    Thanks in advance for the feedback...
    Tim

Wrangler
    Member #
    Brass is brass, as long as the cases clean up / look good I see no problems. I will defer to those w more knowledge but essentially once it cleans up should be fine IMO. The 70's ain't that long ago
    Push the button Max!

Lifetime Member NRA

1999 Sportster 1200, slammed & bobbed, FTW (Forever Two Wheels)

'I'm workin, you just can't see it' Nevada Smith, Steeve McQueen

Sidewinder
    Out in the woods, between Detroit and Buffalo
    Member #
    You lucked out. Old brass is good brass. Safe to shoot in every way. I stumble across it occasionally, and buy every bag that I see at the gunshows.

stewbud

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I appreciate the input. I'm fairly new to handloading, and last weekend I loaded 100 rounds of new Winchester brass, and had to deburr the case mouths and primer pockets on each round prior to loading.
    These 'vintage' Rem. cases needed no prep at all - they were smooth as silk on both ends and proved it going through my Lee Pro1000 press. Ran up about 20 rounds each of Hornady 180gr and 240gr XTP's and will let you know in a day or two how they shoot.
    Thanks again...
    Tim

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I'd keep an eye on them until you see how they handle the loads. Brass can get brittle with age, and if you start getting neck and body splits you might want to anneal them.
    MidBigWest and 308/338 like this.
    We're at the point where Hamas are freedom fighters and the NRA is a terrorist organization. —Twitter satirist @hale_razor

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Well, I ran 5 rounds each of the Hornady 180XTP's and 240XTP's at the starting loads recommended for Win296 through my Ruger SBH and Marlin 1894.
    All 20 rounds went boom, but upon inspection -one- of the 180 grain rounds in the levergun had a split about 3/8" long toward the primer end of the round. NOT a good thing. I think a lot had to do with the est. 2100fps+ velocity of this round in the rifle (according to the Win spec sheet). The other 19 empty cases looked fine.
    And papajohn, Remington agreed with you when they finally wrote back. They said that brass can soften or get brittle with age and could not recommend using this brass.
    That said, I just ordered a bunch of Starline brass from Midway and will be back on this same Bat Channel in a few days with my inquiries on a 'softer' plinking load with the Hornady bullets which I love.
    Thanks to all for your input - and be careful out there!
    Tim

Tinhorn
    Toledo, Ohio, but hoping to return to San Diego, SoCal sooner or later.
    Member #
    I've loaded and fired .38 S&W Cases that were 1920's vintage and had Balloon Head primer pockets with no problems at all. A few of them have cracked after firing once or twice, but I just be careful and keep an eye on them before I load them and have had no problems.
    Mark
    USN 1989-1993
    VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, SoCal.

El Kabong
    Member #
    I ahve 10,000 1969-1972 LC cases, shoot the ship out of them. Really hot loads.
    Ive got cases going back to 1906-1950s that I shoot the ship out off.

Fire at will
    “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    If you have any reservations about them, just send them to me. I'll use em!
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links