What's the best case prep tools approach for a new to reloading guy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What's the best case prep tools approach for a new to reloading guy?

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Economy reloading here for the last 44 years. I use the Lee handheld trimmer chucked in my cordless drill,and the Lee inside/outside neck chamfer tool. Primer pockets get cleaned with a small screwdriver. No complaints.
    I am very careful about case length,checking every time after sizing without fail. Consistent length makes consistent crimp,one of the contributing factors to ballistic uniformity.

Rob
    MarlinManCB45/70 and msharley like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I've been reloading almost 50 years. Originally I went with the Lee prep tools and I'm still using them.

Like others, I chuck the case holder base in a light portable drill for the case trimmer. Then I spin it against the inside/outside chamfer tool. I have the RCBS tool, but it chatters against my 45-70 brass. The Lee one does not.

I use the RCBS primer pocket swager for military crimped primer pockets. It irons them out nicely, and I think it's easier than using a reamer. I have two carbide primer pocket reamers, but I only use those for my varmint caliber cases. I don't bother with handgun cases or my larger rifle brass. I also have a flash hole uniformer for the varmint brass. These are operations that only need to be done once, and only if you're obsessive compulsive about your brass. I do it once on my new brass for first loading.

A lot depends upon how much you will be loading and shooting. Straight wall cases will "grow/stretch" very little. Bottle neck cases more so. Magnum belted cases, will need trimmed every 2-3 loadings.

If I were loading .223 I wouldn't bother. I would only load those 2-4 times then toss them. They're common pickups for free at most ranges.

Over all, I prep my brass--primer pocket, flash hole, trim length, inside/outside chamfer only on my .22 hornet, 22-250, .222 Rem, 7x57mm, and .308. My new 45-70 cases get flash hole and length trims. Handgun brass gets nothing.

Unless you are loading a ton of bottle neck cases/year, hand tools are sufficient. You really don't need to do it all that often. Not for every loading, certainly.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Lee tools. By hand or use the cordless drill if my arthritis is acting up. Minimal expense and effort. Easy to feel results.
    rob42049, Estacado and REM1875 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven M. View Post
    I have the Hornady bench mounted manual case trimmer.
    I have no complaints about it.
    I don't feel a need for a powered one.
    I was thinking about starting with hand trimmers and later also get some brand/typr of powered case prep tool/s like the Lyman station,preferably with a sealed electric motor. (are they made this way?)

That way I'd have powered to use, but also, in cases where no power was available (society meltdown) I could continue to reload as to be able to hunt/eat.

Never hurts to plan ahead for the worst.........just in case....
    Last edited by MarlinManCB45/70; 01-29-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Steven M. likes this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtoSkeet View Post
    Lee tools. By hand or use the cordless drill if my arthritis is acting up. Minimal expense and effort. Easy to feel results.
    I just have reservations of using hand drills/cordless drills on a reloading bench.....both are ventilated to the atmosphere, and create a constant (yet small) "shower" of sparks while operating them. (unless they have sealed motors)...I see it as an accident waiting to happen with gunpowder close by.

Just have a look up into the ventilating slots and hold the trigger down on a hand drill.......any electric motor used in proximity to gunpowder should be a "sealed" electric motor IMO.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinManCB45/70 View Post
    I just have reservations of using hand drills/cordless drills on a reloading bench.....both are ventilated to the atmosphere, and create a constant (yet small) "shower" of sparks while operating them. (unless they have sealed motors)...I see it as an accident waiting to happen with gunpowder close by.

Just have a look up into the ventilating slots and hold the trigger down on a hand drill.......any electric motor used in proximity to gunpowder should be a "sealed" electric motor IMO.
    I generally keep the powder in a wooden cabinet 3 feet from my reloading bench until I am ready to charge the cases.

However, you make a very valid point and I will change "generally" to "always" when using my cordless drill.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    I've been reloading almost 50 years. Originally I went with the Lee prep tools and I'm still using them.

Like others, I chuck the case holder base in a light portable drill for the case trimmer. Then I spin it against the inside/outside chamfer tool. I have the RCBS tool, but it chatters against my 45-70 brass. The Lee one does not.

I use the RCBS primer pocket swager for military crimped primer pockets. It irons them out nicely, and I think it's easier than using a reamer. I have two carbide primer pocket reamers, but I only use those for my varmint caliber cases. I don't bother with handgun cases or my larger rifle brass. I also have a flash hole uniformer for the varmint brass. These are operations that only need to be done once, and only if you're obsessive compulsive about your brass. I do it once on my new brass for first loading.

A lot depends upon how much you will be loading and shooting. Straight wall cases will "grow/stretch" very little. Bottle neck cases more so. Magnum belted cases, will need trimmed every 2-3 loadings.

If I were loading .223 I wouldn't bother. I would only load those 2-4 times then toss them. They're common pickups for free at most ranges.

Over all, I prep my brass--primer pocket, flash hole, trim length, inside/outside chamfer only on my .22 hornet, 22-250, .222 Rem, 7x57mm, and .308. My new 45-70 cases get flash hole and length trims. Handgun brass gets nothing.

Unless you are loading a ton of bottle neck cases/year, hand tools are sufficient. You really don't need to do it all that often. Not for every loading, certainly.
    I plan to reload enough to have and keep at least 500 to 1000 rds. for any and all firearms i own (currently and new firearms later on)

Currently these include British .303, 30-30, 45-70 for my 1895 CB , 7.93 (8MM).45 acp for handguns and later a semi auto thompson "machine gun" and later 30.06 .308. and perhaps a few more later on.

I already have the reloading dies for these and more, except 7.92mm IIRC.

9. 01-29-2017, 02:31 PM

Marlin Marksman

Reason
    double post... per poster

me
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    I can't know... bought mine near 40 yr ago and they still work good.

Battery operated stuff is cool as long as you got batteries ( I bought a scale that uses watch batteries and they seem to last a year) bought to confirm my RCBS scale is accurate.

Electric would be fine for triming cases... but I don't do a lot.

I like my RCBS manual trimer as it is basic and I don't know better as I have only used it

I bought a Flash hole tool and a primer seat reimer....both are easy to use with fingers... but I use the Primer seat tool in a drill (somebody mentioned carpel tunnel).

NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT... my tumbler is vibrator and medium is walnut. (I don't do this much as I should I suppose).

I have lost brass for not aneiling it as I should ... this is my weak spot.

Straight cases need trimed less than shouldered.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40
    Hey All... do the right thing and read the rules

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links