Safe load?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WxGuyKML

Thread: Safe load?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Safe load?

Hi guys,

I just bought a Marlin 1895GBL and a Lee classic loader kit. Just finished my first fifty rounds last night. I was hoping someone could take a look at my load data and confirm that this is a safe load. Regarding components, I just pulled whatever they had off the shelf for 45-70 as there was not much selection.

Barry's 350 gr round shoulder, plated
    31 grains IMR4198
    WLR primers
    New Winchester brass

I did some research and based on some other posts I read on this forum I learned that Barry's recommends using cast load data, and some posts said start with trapdoor data to be on the safe side if you are having issues with cartridge length. I'm still waiting for the case trimmer guage and so I did not trim the brass. Some of them were slightly over the max case length at 2.106. There was no data for this combination so I used the next heaviest cast data for 385 grains (page 483 Lee 2nd edition). That's where I got the 31 grains of IMR4198 from. Also, in order to reach the min OAL I had to seat the bulit with the canteleur above the case. I did crimp with the factory reloading die.

So just to recap,

1. is this a safe load?
    2. Is there an issue with slightly longer cases?
    3. Do I need a wad?
    4. Is there a danger of undercharged over-pressure that I've read about?
    5. Is there a problem with seating the bullits as described above?
    6. What's the safest max load for this combination?
    7. What's the lowest load that can be used safely? (Just to establish a range, not that I would go lower from where I'm at currently.)

Many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UncleJimmy; 07-15-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Though I am not as expert as many on the forum, that recipe is perfectly safe in a Marlin. Is a trap door level load for bullet weight.
    Only concern is you crimped a bit hard and low in my opinion, normally want them in the crimp groove for good cycling and with plated the groove gives the crimp a bit more grip.
    Don't worry so much about total length or published OAL, main thing is will it cycle and headspace properly. Being a bit short is better than being too long, if the bullet rests on the rifling the lever may not lock properly.
    I have been loading 300gr LFNGC with 35-40gr I4198 with excellent (2") groupings at 100yds lately. Tried 400gr Berry's plated with 35gr I4198 and the groups opened up to 4" at 100yds, still trying to find the sweet spot for those.

Did you try cycling these through the Marlin? A good habit is to set the dies with 1 or 2 powder free cartridges and test cycling before loading too many.
    UncleJimmy likes this.
    USN Retired
    1942 Mosin-Nagant
    Marlin 1895 Classic
    Marlin 1894c
    Marlin 1894 45C
    Springfield Arms Range Officer .45acp
    Springfield Arms XDS .45acp
    Ruger Redhawk 45C/45acp
    Ruger Vaquero .45C
    Ruger GP100 4" 357 mag
    Savage Axis 30-06
    Walther PPQ 9mm
    Walther PPQ 45acp
    Ruger LCP

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WxGuyKML View Post
    Though I am not as expert as many on the forum, that recipe is perfectly safe in a Marlin. Is a trap door level load for bullet weight.
    Only concern is you crimped a bit hard and low in my opinion, normally want them in the crimp groove for good cycling and with plated the groove gives the crimp a bit more grip.
    Don't worry so much about total length or published OAL, main thing is will it cycle and headspace properly. Being a bit short is better than being too long, if the bullet rests on the rifling the lever may not lock properly.
    I have been loading 300gr LFNGC with 35-40gr I4198 with excellent (2") groupings at 100yds lately. Tried 400gr Berry's plated with 35gr I4198 and the groups opened up to 4" at 100yds, still trying to find the sweet spot for those.

Did you try cycling these through the Marlin? A good habit is to set the dies with 1 or 2 powder free cartridges and test cycling before loading too many.
    Thanks for the reply; I really appreciate it. I may go shooting tomorrow so I wanted to have that peace of mind.

I will take a closer look at the crimp die and maybe back it off a tad. I did look at some of the bullets I pulled with this crimp, and the plating was good. Seems this one is thicker than their standard.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about which way do I choose: do I seat the bullet at the cantaleur and be below min OAL or just not worry about it. It seems then from what you are saying that it's probably better to go ahead and seat it lower but safe to shoot as is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Enjoy the reloading! Sometimes I feel like I'm shooting just so I can roll my own. The guys here will be very good at helping you out.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigMeade View Post
    Enjoy the reloading! Sometimes I feel like I'm shooting just so I can roll my own. The guys here will be very good at helping you out.
    Thank you, Craig; I'm looking forward to it as well!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links