Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By RangerPointPrecision
  • 1 Post By Scorpiusb
  • 2 Post By RangerPointPrecision

Thread: What's that? Another teaser!

Supporting Vendor
    Member #

What's that? Another teaser!

No sooner than the Gold Standard trigger kits went hot through the gates, I started work on this. Still in testing, but looking good so far. What do y'all think?
    .35 scout.jpg
    AD
    cajun56, jml and Buffalo Jake like this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - We design and manufacture performance firearm parts for Marlin Firearms, Henry Repeating Arms, Winchester, Steyr Arms pistols (Polymer stocks, trigger kits, medium loop levers and takedown screws, peep and fiber optic sights, Marlin 1894 extractors, picatinny scope mounts, dovetail fillers, flyweight loading gates, mag followers and more). rangerpointprecision.com Our new motorcycle parts division can be found at rppmoto.com

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Rear sight dovetail and barrel band mounting? More pics please...
    cajun56 likes this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    That is the only pic I have, but I'll be happy to shed more light on the design. First, I'll admit that I've been reluctant to build a scout rail. My bias is toward traditional scopes, and I just wasn't sure there was enough of a market to justify the R&D. But we have been bombarded with requests for a scout rail, so the kernel of an idea moved steadily toward the fore-pan of my brain.

Having built a lot of custom Marlins, I am keenly aware of what works and what doesn't, and those of you who have an RPP custom, or who know me at all, know that I am an accuracy fanatic. For me, a gun must be accurate. No excuses.

Because of my experience building sub MOA Marlins, I started advising my customers a few years ago NOT to install a certain well known scout rail. While the quality of the part was just fine, the engineering displayed a lack of understanding regarding accurate rifles. Problem is, when you tie the receiver and the barrel together anywhere but the barrel tenon, you will invariably experience a fall-off in accuracy. I experienced this in first hand testing of the product that now comes standard on some Marlin models, like the SBL. In fact, the results of my testing were so decisive that we started retracting our MOA guarantee if a customer insisted on having the that particular rail system installed. At that time I had no intention of designing my own scout rail.

But here we are, years into being pestered about a new scout rail design, and it's become apparent that I am not the only one who is dissatisfied with the existing option. So of course accuracy is at the core of my design philosophy, and that's why our rail mounts at the rear sight dovetail and front barrel band and does not touch the receiver. Truth is, a barrel-only mounted optic is the ultimate in accuracy, because the optic is ALWAYS pointed in the same direction as the barrel, regardless of its relationship with the receiver, which can vary more than a little.

The trick though, is that the barrel mounted optic has to be SOLID. So my design incorporates an entirely new, CNC machined barrel band (forend cap models to come) with its own secondary mounting point. The primary mounting point--and recoil lug--is in the rear sight dovetail. Our custom barrel band incorporates two extra anchors to keep it from shifting (just visible in the photo). We're very early in testing, but so far a full box of .35 Rem has failed to disturb the mounts in any measurable way. I'm optimistic.

In addition to accuracy, I'm big on functionality, robustness, and light weight. My design offers a an extra 3 inches of forward mounting space, which, combined with our matched receiver rail, gives a full 15" of mounting options. Because I also noticed that some LER scopes couldn't be mounted far forward enough on our competitor's rail. I also had my robots remove every extra gram of material from the rail, making it exceptionally light--cuz who needs extra weight over the barrel?

Bonus feature: that square lug on the bottom of the new barrel band will accept either a standard sling stud or a short picatinny rail (RPP designed) for attaching a flashlight.

Again, we're early in testing, but the first box of ammo, fired offhand at 50yds, had no misses on a 12" plate at 50yds, and I'm no Marine. Disassembly revealed no loose fasteners or shifting. Accuracy testing will get far more stringent. Only the best for you guys.
    AD
    Last edited by RangerPointPrecision; 06-01-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    cajun56 and Buffalo Jake like this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - We design and manufacture performance firearm parts for Marlin Firearms, Henry Repeating Arms, Winchester, Steyr Arms pistols (Polymer stocks, trigger kits, medium loop levers and takedown screws, peep and fiber optic sights, Marlin 1894 extractors, picatinny scope mounts, dovetail fillers, flyweight loading gates, mag followers and more). rangerpointprecision.com Our new motorcycle parts division can be found at rppmoto.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    looks good but personally I am not a fan of scout rail setups. Good to see a good product for those that want them though

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links