45/70 425gr seating/chambering question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 45/70 425gr seating/chambering question

Wrangler
    Member #

45/70 425gr seating/chambering question

Marlin 1895GBL (Remlin). My bore is slug measured at .458

I seated my .460 Sized GC'd RD TLC.460-425 (air cooled) to the crimp ring with Wheel Weight + Solder Alloy (3% 3% 94%) and at the range today I noticed some issues when chambering the rounds. Many but not all of the lead bullets rode hard against the chamber close to where I crimped with a standard roll crimp when I chambered the round.
    The bullets were roll lubed in Alox and left over night with any lube on the exposed lead cleaned off with a strong shop-cloth. COAL = 2.51"

Am I taking the buulets from the mould to soon or compressing them when seating them?
    Should I try seating to the minimum depth next time?

I'll be sure to check the dia of the exposed lead next time and maybe lighten up on the crimp or seat and crimp in 2 steps instead of one, I think that's probably where the problem is. Until now I've only loaded hard cast and jacketed commercial bullets.

Any advice or opinions?
    Cheers,

JBL

Wrangler
    Member #
    I measured a couple dozen cast, lubed & sized bullets and there is some variation on the diameter of the area directly ahead of the crimp-ring - between .459 and .460.
    I checked one slug that I had chambered and then removed and it is .460 so it looks like I'm going to get a .459 sizer or maybe water drop my next bunch to see how much they shrink.

me
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    I don't have much of a opinion... If your able to cycle them and eject them (check the Oal) if it moves that would be a problem. Sometimes when I dont know the bullet I will black it with a felt marker... that shows things like pinching bullet in the lands...If you color down the brass you can see how much more rub you get with the .460 bullet than the norm I ain't been much a cast shooter... I had a problem in my hand gun with oversize jacketed bullets. (sold the bullets.).
    JimmyBigLoop likes this.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40
    Hey All... do the right thing and read the rules

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks me - the bullet is being pinched in the lands.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBigLoop View Post
    Thanks me - the bullet is being pinched in the lands.
    JBL – that’s easy, just seat the bullet a bit deeper.
    I just measured some of my loads that I did for last year’s postal match… 425gr Ranch Dog bullets for my GBL – COL 2.497”.
    me likes this.
    Danny

Wrangler
    Member #
    Rowdy, Me,

I did some measuring, decided to order a smaller sizer die, but then realized that I should also try to seat deeper (to the Min COAL.) On the bullet I checked the deformation marks were .025 across and I'm seating at 2.51 - but going 25 thou puts me under min COAL by a bit more than a smidge BUT depending on the mechanical deformation, up to half of that 25 thou could have been squeezed foreward - so, even though I have a smaller die coming in (who can have too much equipment, eh?) I'm going to see if seating to the minimum of 2.495" resolves the problem.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Seating deeper doesn't seem to be the whole answer for me. I set up a dummy round and had to seat it to 2.456 before it would chamber properly which is a lot deeper than I'm comfortable with (40 thou under min) unless I'm shooting *really* light loads. I read somewhere a broad rule of thumb was subtract 1/2gr per 10 thou under but I can't see that being at all accurate - doesn't take surface area or burn rate into consideration...?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey Jimmy, that’s a bummer.
    Hope the .459” sizing die works. Another option would be a finish reamer to clean up the throat/leade.
    JimmyBigLoop likes this.
    Danny

Wrangler
    Member #
    Hey Rowdy, I guess it might be time for me to fire up the ole lathe, never thought of making my own reamer. I'll have to scrounge some round steel stock from somewhere now!

Wrangler
    Member #
    Here is the image from Ranch Dog's site. From where the marks are showing on seated bullets I am coming into contact at the step - I must have a steeper step or shorter chamber than they planned for.
    I sent a message to Ranch Dog just to let them know - I'm not one for throwing blame around or being a dick about this stuff but it's probably a Remlin problem. If I do have a short chamber I'm gonna give Remington a call and offer up a piece of my mind, free of charge. Now, how to I measure my damned chamber?
    4570chamber01.gif

Edit: There's something odd with these dimensions. The Base is 0.200" and the Base to Neck is 1.830" right where the step is placed ahead of the mouth of the cartridge - this is wrong.
    Gonna have to get back to RD.
    Last edited by JimmyBigLoop; 03-15-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links