What RD molds would you like to see available ??????? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LT
    Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: What RD molds would you like to see available ???????

Quote Originally Posted by dogg
    I have been away for a good time and having found out that RD is designing and bringing molds out again, was just wondering what the may be in store for the future.

I would like to see a mid weight (375-425gr) 45/70.
    and maybe a heavy 45lc (300-350gr)
    and maybe a .357 in the (175-190gr)

I'm sure something like this has already been done but I wasn't lucky enough to be around when they were.

What molds would you like to see, list em up!
    Dolly Parton
    Team 35 Member #3

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Michael, thanks for the explanation and lesson in bullet design. It certainly leads one to an understanding of why your bullets shoot so well.
    Team 444 Member #249 / Team .35 Member #79 Marlins since 1975
    Canadian Shooting Sports Association Life Member - CSSA Rocks!
    I support Canada's troops. Always caring, always Canadian, never defeated!

Site Sponsor/Site Contributor Gun Wizard
    Member #

The 357 Mag is one that I need to explore, I don't have a clue as to what the weight will be until have the Marlin rifles have been rounded up, chamber casts been made and the dimensions have been sent through the design software. My design philosophy is to provide cast bullets that perform as well or better than jacketed bullets. The only way to do this at 42.0K PSI is with a gas check so that is what can be expected. There is already an endless list of plain base bullets that supply the needs of the 357 Mag.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Ranch Dog, thank you for the education. I do not know why, but I seem to learn better with my foot in my mouth.
    Oh...Give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and antelope play.

Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog
    This is a tough time of the year for me as I run short on "forum" time but here I am.

To answer your question dogg, my recommendations for the 45-70 Govt is based on if you are hunting open country or timber. For open country where your shots are beyond 75-yards, the TLC460-350-RF. For dark timber country, the TLC460-425-RF. What I would suggest is that you setup your 1895 with the 350-grain bullet sighted in with a low power scope, 4X, at 100-yards (funny how 4X is low power nowadays), and use the 45 Colt for the heavy, dark timber stuff.

For your 1894, I will be introducing a new bullet, the TLC454-290-RF. It is simply my original 45 Colt bullet gas checked for so that you can push it to the same pressures that 1894s chambered in 41 and 44 Mag are using (42.0KPSI NMP and 48.0KPSI Pmax).

RD, will you be making something like the TLC454-290-RF in 460 diameter? I would like to get a 300 grain bullet for my 450 Marlin. Do you think something like that would work good in 450 Marlin? The two reasons why I want something like that is to save lead and reduce recoil. The game I might hunt around here is small. I use a 444 with a 265 grain for hunting, and it has been very successful. All the deer I have shot have been under 20 yards in heavy brush, but it would be nice it hit a target accurately @ 150-200 yards with a scope on my 450.

As democracy is perfected, the office (of President) represents,... the inner soul of the people... On some great and glorious day the plain folks... will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron-Mencken

Member #

Hello Michael,

I am glad to read that you've decided to work on a 357 bullet. Need any particulars before starting that work? My 357 CB has a very short throat so the 180 gr. cast bullets I shoot have to be seated deeply. Although I have never done one, I would be happy to provide a chamber cast for you, along with sample dummy cartridges and bullets to examine. Maybe you could borrow my rifle for bullet development.

Other 357 CB owners can shoot an overall length much longer than mine so there must be a wide variation in these chambers. Good luck getting it right whenever your work starts.

Steelbanger, NRA Life
    Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter
    RD, will you be making something like the TLC454-290-RF in 460 diameter? I would like to get a 300 grain bullet for my 450 Marlin. Do you think something like that would work good in 450 Marlin? The two reasons why I want something like that is to save lead and reduce recoil. The game I might hunt around here is small. I use a 444 with a 265 grain for hunting, and it has been very successful. All the deer I have shot have been under 20 yards in heavy brush, but it would be nice it hit a target accurately @ 150-200 yards with a scope on my 450.
    Nope, I wouldn't put my money in it. Please read my design comments above, I make big game bullets and a 300-grain bullet in a 450 Marlin is going to be a poor shooter. You cannot compare a 450 to a 444 Marlin, absolutely nothing in common other than the Marlin name. The 444 Marlin's throat, step, and leade was cut to match the 44 Mag so that it could use the same bullets. A 265-grain lead bullet in the 444 Marlin is absolutely optimum. Because of the fit and the available case capacity, you can put the wood to it.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbanger
    Hello Michael,

I am glad to read that you've decided to work on a 357 bullet. Need any particulars before starting that work? My 357 CB has a very short throat so the 180 gr. cast bullets I shoot have to be seated deeply. Although I have never done one, I would be happy to provide a chamber cast for you, along with sample dummy cartridges and bullets to examine. Maybe you could borrow my rifle for bullet development.

Other 357 CB owners can shoot an overall length much longer than mine so there must be a wide variation in these chambers. Good luck getting it right whenever your work starts.
    Steelbanger, I will take you up on this down the road. I've got to get past my grand "reopening" first and then will work on this. I spent all day trying to get past some "coding" issues with on my site but I'm getting there. I will buy a 1894C and with your Cowboy should get the bases covered.

Sidewinder
    Member #

That's great to hear that your reopening your store . Be prepared to clean all the nose and finger prints off the front window, because I will definetly be taking a peek at your wares. I will even come into the store if I see something I like.

Member #

Ranch Dog, I have two 1894Cs and can provide you with chamber casts.

I too would like to see a TLC358-175ish mould, probably with a flat nose on it.

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links