Cleaning old moulds ulrtrasonically?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Chickenthief
  • 1 Post By rclint

Thread: Cleaning old moulds ulrtrasonically?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

CAN THIS MOVE TOO BOOLIT CASTING?>Cleaning old molds ultrasonically?

I've got a few molds that the vent lines have gotten a little dirty.

So other than the regular methods, has anyone tried the sonic cleaners that some use for brass and various
    gun parts.
    Are there any detrimental effects that could be caused by the ultrasonic cleaning method or would it shine the molds back up?
    I'm new to mold use and care and this could be a nonquestion, just wanted to see before I tried.. Thanks
    BTW these are all aluminum molds of various makers
    Last edited by lipripper; 02-23-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: tried to move out of Ranch Dog subforum. couldn't but maybe a mod will. thanks
    always remembered,KGW.thanks for the good times
    Team 35 #217
    Team 30/30 #799
    336 30/30
    336 35 Rem
    Camp 9
    1894C 357
    Model 60
    All JM
    Marlin League of Endangered Gun Owners #`138

Deadeye
    Member #
    Lipripper
    I have been cleaning my molds in my ultrasonic cleaner for years. My Ultra Sonic cleaner is an older H.F. Industrial model and has a 2 Liter SS tank and outer case. For aluminum molds I have used distilled water and dawn, mineral spirits and acetone. Be extremely careful with the flammable solvents! If I am using flammable solvents, I do it outside on a concrete surface or my steel welding table placed away from anything that could be burned! Having covered the safety aspect, I have never had a fire (yet). I also have a 16 gauge steel plate that covers the top of my cleaner.
    I completely disassemble my molds as far as possible. All of the solvents do a good job of removing oil and grease making casting easier. For old well used molds the burned on stains don't always come off, but the molds cast well after cleaning. The down side is that sometimes molds need to be broke-in again after cleaning.

Gary

Deadeye
    Member #
    I'm at a loss here gents help me out!
    What would gunk up the vent lines?

I'm no expert, has only been casting for 30+ years and no more than 9½-10k from the same single shot mould amongst many others. But i have yet to get my vent lines clogged up from anything.

So what did you do?

I pour lead alloy in mine and if i'm spastic and don't hold the halves properly together i get a slight finning. But the lead that came off brushes right off with a small brass brush.

So?
    Travlin and moofy07 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    OK Chickenthief, maybe I can help you with your loss.
    What would gunk up vent lines? Honestly I'm not really sure as I've only began casting this year. But maybe the same lead alloy that you get spastic with might gunk em up? You desire to use a small brass brush to clean the inexplicable gunked up vent lines. Why would you use a brush on it if over the last 30 years casting you've never got your vent lines clogged??( read your own post about the 10k in one mold without clogging up vent lines??)
    You'll have to pardon me as I've only had a few molds and two of them were not cheap ( as in " I thought casting yer own would cost less " type of questions from the other half...............

Now back to the original question...... Cleaning old molds,that have got a little dirty, as in bought off of ebay or yardsale, and who knows what has been in there and the bullets don't drop quite like they should ( mainly wrinkles, which, after having done extensive reading in the Lyman Cast book, castboolits.com, this forum, SIXGUNS by Elmer Keith even has a section in it about wrinkled bullets-dirty moulds, etc).. with a different method.

I just happen to have an ultrasonic cleaner and was wondering if anyone has tried one on a mold. Simple question, yes or no answer was all I was looking for.
    I do understand the meaning of a "seasoned" mold and not to mess with them if they are dropping good. Unfortunately I bought some "seasoned"?? molds that don't get the job done.

Take no disrespect in my long reply,please, just understand there are people out there that don't have your 30 yrs expert casting experience ( such as myself) and I thought I would ask the question. This forum is light years ahead of others in the "respecting" department and that's what keeps me coming back.

Not to take this reply into book length, but since posting the question months ago, a wood bee used one of my Lee alum 6 cav molds as a nice place to build nests and larvae actually filled all 6 of the cavities. That got gunky, but brake cleaner did the trick.

SO So what dude you answered nothing
    Last edited by lipripper; 09-06-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    always remembered,KGW.thanks for the good times
    Team 35 #217
    Team 30/30 #799
    336 30/30
    336 35 Rem
    Camp 9
    1894C 357
    Model 60
    All JM
    Marlin League of Endangered Gun Owners #`138

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but have not used it to clean molds with... even old rust molds that are decades old... old old old LOL, I used comet and like the gentleman above a brass, and nylon brush along with comet soaking in hot water. The hot water along with dawn overnight soak in 2 minutes dish detergent cleans molds OUTSTANDING. For rusty molds I have cleaned them with the above brushes, and also the evaporust.. make sure to get evaporust or do your research if you decide to use something like this for rusty molds, some of the rust converters can etch the substrate.

I have etched the substrate using ultrasonic cleaner using some solutions, but it was the acid that done so, and steel will flash rust fast when you strip the oils off. I have not had any problems wiping the oil from molds then just casting until I get good boolits, it does not take many most of the time once the pot gets up to temp.

Not trying to pile on you, but the gentleman commented, and took time from his day above in order to help you. His experience is worth noting.. I have not been casting long at all, but with the help of forum members here, and at castboolits forum the information I gained really made getting into casting very easy, and very affordable for me. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is worth a lot of money, and time, not to mention frustration if you were doing the trial, and error method
    Last edited by rclint; 09-02-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Travlin likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links