Make your 39A Golden as smooth as a Henry Golden Boy
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By Benchsite

Thread: Make your 39A Golden as smooth as a Henry Golden Boy

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Make your 39A Golden as smooth as a Henry Golden Boy

Every were I look on the internet comparing the 39A with the Henry Golden Boy I see that the biggest thing people liked about the Henry was the smooth action. I decided to do some simple gunsmithing that anyone can do with some common tools to get your 39A just a smooth as the Henry. You will need a small file, dremel tool with polishing pad and rouge and a fine whetstone. The Yellow arrows in the pictures are the flat surfaces to polish and the red arrows are the edges to round and polish. Everything is done on a very small scale…it doesn’t take much.

1. Polish the trigger on the 3 faces to shinny smooth.I have also rounded out the edges on the same planes.

2. Bolt: Round the corners on the back bottom of the bolt where the firing pin end is. I also did the corner of the very end of the bolt bottom and the edge where that leads forward. Then I polished those edges plus along the bottom of the bolt. You can tell how far to polish as your hammer has worn the bolt in this area. With a fine whetstone hone the entire bottom of the bolt. The pictures show where to polish other surfaces and smooth the edges

3. Round the bottom corner of the end of the firing pin and polish. This is actually the first contact with the hammer when you cycle a round.

4. Round the edges on the charging arm especially the very end of it.Polish the edge facing the carrier assembly, the end surface and the channel on the back side (remove the charging handle for all of this.be careful re-installing as there is a tension spring that rides on the bottom part).

5. Polish the button edge on the carrier assembly where it faces the charging handle.You may have to file the edge round as well.On my 39A the edge rounded nicely when I polished it.

6. Receiver: hone the top of the receiver with the whetstone and get it as smooth as possible. Then give it a good polish job. If you want at this time you can also smooth out and polish the side of the receiver where you can see the charging handle has had contact. I didn’t need this on mine as everything else made the action incredibly smooth.

7. One last step I do on all my rifles is to remove the wood furniture and coat the insides with some Birchwood/Casey Tru-Oil in order to seal it.This keeps oil from creeping under your nice finish over time.

Last edited by Benchsite; 01-23-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Get the pictures into the post correctly
    packard, curan, Vooch and 4 others like this.

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #
    you may want to consider reposting as all of the main pics are the same pic.
    TO ARMS!!
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    "The only chance you get to do it right....is the first time."

There are Rules...Read Them!! CYA.....Cover your ass!
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks mr fixit...had to leave earlier before I could figure how it liked the URL's. Hope this helps new 39A owners along with my post on fixing FTF and FTE's.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links