Bluing YOur Marlin Rifle Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Bluing YOur Marlin Rifle Parts

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Bluing YOur Marlin Rifle Parts

I am working on a project rifle, 39A Golden, Take Down. Its a shooter so its got some rust, bluing is thin in a lot of places, and the stock will need refinishing.

Right now its disassembled and I am thinking of using a Bluing product called "Wonder Blue A or Wonder Black A. I have looked at the Birchwood Casey product, but they look cheese.

My question, has any one reblued their 336 with the Wonder Blue products? Were the results better than expected? What is the consensus on the forum for a Bluing Product to remove rust and provide a better than Factory finish on the rifle parts?

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." –

Thomas Jefferson

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    DP, i don't have an answer to your question about wonder blue, and at the risk of taking off on a rabbit trail, maybe you will find this of interest...

I read an article on Beartooth Bullets about blueing with potassium nitrate found in commercial stump remover... I have not tried it, but the pictures of the results are intriguing... the bit about the bluing is down about halfway in the article...

here is the link to the article...

https://beartoothbullets.com/tech_no...h_notes.htm/58
    rono, SignalG and Deadwood Pike like this.
    David

Marlin League of Endangered Gun Owners #131
    Team 30-30 # 847
    Team Old Pharts #258
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #15

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks PV,

Now all I have to do is find a pan long enough to put barrels in it.
    papa vid likes this.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." –

Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    DP.. how about a chafing dish... if my figuring is correct... should be able to fit up to a 24" barrel sans receiver.. but it's early and my figurer may not be up to snuff...

here's a link to a relatively inexpensive one... Chafing Dish | 8 Qt. Economy Stainless Steel Chafer
    David

Marlin League of Endangered Gun Owners #131
    Team 30-30 # 847
    Team Old Pharts #258
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #15

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood Pike View Post
    Thanks PV,

Now all I have to do is find a pan long enough to put barrels in it.
    Would a wallpaper pan work? The one you put water in and soak your wallpaper before installation.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by papa vid View Post
    DP.. how about a chafing dish... if my figuring is correct... should be able to fit up to a 24" barrel sans receiver.. but it's early and my figurer may not be up to snuff...

here's a link to a relatively inexpensive one... Chafing Dish | 8 Qt. Economy Stainless Steel Chafer
    Do you think the ethanol gel would melt the nitre or would another heat source be needed? I have a project rifle to work on and this site has provided answers to every question I've had so far.

Marlinstigator Marlin Fanatic
    Minnesota ------------The Great White North--Marliniologist----La'i-be'eeldoh
    Member #
    Nitre bluing is meant to be used on smaller parts like screws. It wont hold up long on the whole gun.

Here is a link explaining the different types of bluing. Ron?s Gun Shop. Gun bluing and gun metal finishes for antique and custom guns.

As to the Wonder Blue, I bought some but haven't used it yet. On my last project I used Brownels Oxy-Blue. Looks pretty good, a lot better than the Burch-wood Casey's Super Blue.

The stuff I want to try, and would have bought already, if I had remembered to go back to his table at the last gun show, is Van's bluing. They had a better price at the show.
    I tried rubbing off with steel wool, and I couldn't touch it. But it can be ordered on line.
    Gun Bluing Made Easy With Van's Instant Gun Blue!
    sleecjr, jml, GrumpyBear and 2 others like this.
    La'i-be'eeldoh=(many guns)-NRA Life - Marlin league #16, Minnesota MarlinOwners--Team's= Marlin Express, Levermatic, 35 Rem #68, 32 Special #4, 45-70 #28, 1894 #94,30-30 #131, 39 #39, 38-55 #39, X7 #47, 60 #120, Shotgun #3, 366-44 #2, 44-40 #37, 22 Mag #006, 356 #?, MR7 #3 pending-Finally an Updated Marlin Dates and Production sheets.-Marlin Model 32-38 Pump Project-LEVERMATIC Catalog pages 1955-69 -This is how I converted a Marlin pump 22, to new type mag tube.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoolee View Post
    The stuff I want to try, and would have bought already, if I had remembered to go back to his table at the last gun show, is Van's bluing. They had a better price at the show.
    I tried rubbing off with steel wool, and I couldn't touch it. But it can be ordered on line.
    Gun Bluing Made Easy With Van's Instant Gun Blue!
    That looks like even I could do a decent job with it. I may give that a try. Thanks for the link.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I, too, did a consumers research into home bluing. I decided upon Art's Belgian Blue from Midway. Larry Potterfield has a Youtube video on it and I was impressed. As for a pan, I used a 10' gutter cut down to 4' and used JB Weld to secure end caps in place. Total cost was less than $10. Worked great.Barrel suspended in tank.JPG I then used my wife's stove for a heat source, sans grates:Boiiling the barrel.JPG The results were astounding! Here is a before/after of my blued barrel:Model 80 Barrel Rust - Before.JPG Model 80 Barrel rust - After.JPG Blued Barrel 1.JPG I believe the excellent result is all in the preparation of the barrel. I stropped it with 400 and then 600 grit paper. A thorough degreasing with denatured alcohol (non-petroleum product) is essential. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Blackbarry; 05-07-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Misspelling/additional information

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Excellent Link to Nitre Bluing for Home Gunsmiths. Great Info.
    Here's a Link to a Very Informative Evaluation/Test of 6 Cold Bluing Solutions Readily Available Today:
    evaluation of several cold bluing products (w/pics) | Mossberg Owners
    Looks like Nu-Blu from the Stock Doc PRODUCTS Was the Best.
    & Brownell's Dichropan T-4 http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-bluing-chemicals/dicropan-t-4--prod1085.aspx Came in 2nd.
    Quite an Extensive Evaluation.
    UncleSarge58
    Last edited by unclesarge58; 05-07-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    jml likes this.
    It Seems to Me that A Fully Loaded Lever Gun w/ a Short Barrel & Heavy Boolits Will Be Very Handy when the Fecal Matter Hits the Rotary Air Moving Device.
    US Army SGT 76-80 & USAR Drill SGT 87-91
    74, 336RC : .30-30AI / JM / MG / Weaver 3-9 X 40 w/ 17.5in. Barrel & Muleman Hunter Loop.
    84, 1894CS : .357Mag / JM / MG / Weaver 1-3 X 20 w/ Safety Delete & Custom Mule Loop.
    97, MR-7 : .270WIN / JM / 6G / Vortex 4-12 X 44 / NRA Medallion / Fancy Walnut Stock w/ Matte Finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links