Marauder Restyle Part Duex
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Marauder Restyle Part Duex

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Marauder Restyle Part Duex

After acquiring a 1967 RC with perfect bore but busted stock busted sight and surface rust on the outside......Marauder Time again.
    A change up from the first project.....barrel will finish out the same 17"ish length so as not to be confused with a real Marauder but I'll place the barrel band close to the muzzle and the barrel sight to the rear of the band, just like the original Marauders.
    Here we go....
    Cut about 3" off the end of the barrel and then use a piloted face cutter to square the end of the barrel to the bore...

As you can see, a perfectly smooth and square face to start the crown from, plenty accurate, good as new on a bore with sharp, crisp undamaged rifling.

Switch to the smaller 11 degree target crown cutter and make the recess to protect the rifling at the muzzle from the inevitable dings and dents, preserving the accuracy for a long time to come.

The finished crown. With good cutters, piloted and a steady hand and a bit of oil, no final polish needed. Smooth as a babies butt and it'll crap bullets with satisfying accuracy all day long.

I usually cut off the back of the mag tube....I'm goin full Marauder look this time, so off comes the unsightly and unneeded barrel band screw slot as I cut off the front end. This will allow me to restyle the gun, band forward, sight back and no ugly cut out showing midway between the barrel band and forend. Just a little detail, but its a good look/right look/workmanship to strive for.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    How much to shorten the mag spring? I never shorten it initially more than the 3" I cut from the mag tube....leaves me a plenty stiff mag spring, and should finish up with a final capacity of 5 170g loads in the mag and 1 in the pipe for a true Six Shooter....more than sufficient to stack up 6 late evening does w/o reload on the food plot.
    Measure, and, Clip.

The factory forend is too ugly long for the 20" barrel...so, off comes its snout for the new 17"ish barrel....leave about 1/8" or so of wood beyond the barrel band and square it up later during the refinish. Good walnut on this marlin forend, too bad the stock is broken...but I should be able to reuse the buttplate and hopefully, the undamaged bullseye in the belly of the stock.

For reference, initial reassembly to check the look. Also, to the right, the parts removed from the snout to make a 336 into a world class fast Bush Stalker and deadly accurate 150m cornfield sniper...

A look at the barrel assembly, lacking a bit of fitting of the band and cross bolt and I'll add the front sight groove soon....

A nice look, just over half the forend is wood and the rest is blued steel...pretty. Now, when the straight grip stock gets here I'll convert the lower tang from pistol grip to straight configuration and coax that silly bent lever into proper straight shape. Marlin was smart in 63 and 64. They copied the Win 94 grip and lever shape for the Marauder! That's funny there, Winchester shape on a Marlin Lever. Maybe I can sneak a Win part into this conversion too, just like the last one!
    msharley and gunscrewguy like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Select a location for the front sight dovetail, behind the location of the barrel/tube band...just like the original Marauders.
    Install a 3/8 dovetail cutter and approach with confidence or hire out the job but ya gotta level the jig to the action, clamp the jig and cut the barrel dovetail with a hacksaw and files. Off we go, its level or I ain't worth a damn.

No going back, I carved out as much metal as possible with the hacksaw, hardened jig makes the blade sing when I hit the bottom....keeps it from being too deep or too wide...its gonna be perfect and straight.

Clean up the floor of the dovetail and the undercuts, jig in place with files....when they sing, ye've bottomed out.

Checking the fit and position with a try sight...see, dead nuts straight up and down...its perfect and I am Justin Wilson, Hoo Weee, that's Hot!
    msharley and gunscrewguy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The deer end...straight sight, good crown, deadly combo...

Pretty good this way too.

Looks fine from here too..

And there, close as I can make it w/o shortening up the wood any further, a Marauder styled front end....It'll fool ya but not a collector... length, etc, all close for the look but no way it'll pass the Serial number test or barrel length, etc....a Marauder Styled Carbine and ya can shoot it instead of collecting it. A much better place to be.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Sharps40, that's a darn good job so far, keep it up. Looking forward to seeing the finished product all dressed up and polished. Be sure to post a few pictures and then a range report.

Jack
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    That's looking very, very nice! Great detailed instructions and pics as well, however, a man has to know his limitations, and I know mine. I would have to farm all of that out, but many here can follow your steps and have a great lil carbine when done. I would wind up with a Rossi Ranch Hand wearing a crooked sight, muzzle and half the forearm. Thanks for sharing your project, I love seeing projects like this take place! DP
    oldmanofthesea likes this.
    TEAM 444 #187, Team 35 #7, Two Marlin 1894Cs, Remlin 1894C, 1894-44mag, 1966 Texan 30-30. Two Glenfield 36G's & two 30A's 30-30, 30-30 XLR, , five- 35rem. 1951 SC, 1952 SC, 1957, 1975 and 2008, 38-55 CB, M-375, 308 MX, 338MXLR, 444P, 444SS, , XS-7 22-250, XS-7 7mm-08 AI,

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Lookin good!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks all. Hopefully pickin up an SC for rescue on Fri/Sat. Looks decent from the pics but sawed off to 16", sights removed and a shotgun bead installed. We'll see, if it can be had and how to move it back a bit closer to original fit and finish. Right now its seems to be languishing in Truck Rifle Hell.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes, and invest in a good Wilton vise. They're worth their weight in gold.

Great work!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I havn't had a vice in almost 25 years. Never found a use for one after the first one got lost in a move and after so many years without, I've not built any benches with dedicated vice area. Course, I havn't crushed or mangled parts since loosing the vice either so I spect its a win win for me and the guns!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links