Marauder Restyle Part Duex - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Marauder Restyle Part Duex

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I'm super jealous. Im about to straighten the stock on my Marauder conversion. Cant wait to see some pics of the lever straightening.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Lever straightnin is easy but not for the faint hearted. Movement ain't much distance wise, 1/4 inch or so, one leg follows the other so cold forging is fine. Supplies needed are concrete floor, steel plate, couple big flat wrenches to transfer blows, medium SmasherWacker and patience. A few taps from the SmasherWacker and its usually forged straight in 3 to 5 minutes. Then a bit of shapin the inside and outside of the lever to clean up any marks/smooth a surface and HA, Its Done!
    steinimal and gunscrewguy like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Buttstock is on the way....won't be long and I can do a rough fit and test fire!!!!!
    gunscrewguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Oh yeah, Win 1886 rear sight installed...looks awesome, full buckhorn and make this Ol Marlin look proudly at the target!
    dpe.ahoy and gunscrewguy like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Finally, parts and supplies have arrived so I can dive into the Marauder Part Deux and get started on that TC Renegade Refinish!
    Here we go...Winchester 1886 on a Marlin 336...straight grip conversion coming so this Marlin will emulate the perfection of the Win 94 both in sighting and in handling, one day soon.

New walnut, straight grain for strength with some lovely golds, reds and greens...gonna look darn fine when hand rubbed to satin perfection.

This is what I like to see, interference fit from the word go...room to fit it snug and no glass bedding should be needed...we'll even have to drill it for the tang screw.

Yeah baby, gonna look sweet and shoot sweet and handle sweet and be way better than it was from the factory....back to 1963.
    savage99nc likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Going well...stock is rough fitted. Want this one to come along to a point where I'm refinishing wood so I can simultaneously fit metal parts on the separate Renegade project and then polish both for simultaneous bluing. But it may or may not happen that way. In any event, no hurry on either of these projects.
    This is a well done preinlet stock for the marlin. The only fitting was a whisker here and there inside the inletting and shaping the wood tangs that fit inside the action panels...and a lil recess down low in the rear to clearance the mainspring shaft.

Here I've scribed the line on the lower tang where metal will be removed to facilitate the straight grip conversion. This effectively reproduces the marlin Texan tang. There will be no loss of thread for the stock screw.

The factory inletting leaves a very slight gap at the action panels, no worries, its at least as tight as the factory Marlin fit, so I'm pretty happy with the fit and the look will be as folks expect on a factory gun.

Upper tang fits nicely, just a tiny gap at the rear, normal. The stock will be on and off about 40 more times in the fitting and finishing process, so this might even close up a bit more...its still pretty snuggy tight at this point.

Lower tang also looks much the same. The fit is good and both upper and lower tang make full contact with all clamping surfaces of the inletting.

None of my Marlin buttplates are worthy of reuse...most are old enough to have been ground to odd shapes in former refinishes. So, just centering up and adding the old style single slot screws for now. I may get another marlin buttplate and I may make a nice steel buttplate and rust blue it with the rifle or ......

So, assembled for now, this is the drivers side view.

And here is the Wrong Handed Drivers Side View...No apologies, Sister is a leftie so I can pick scabs if I wanna.....
    quake, savage99nc, eluxton and 2 others like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Super Sweet Project! That rifle looks great so far.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Credo Quia Absurdum!
    1895G
    336 T
    336 TS
    336 TK

Wrangler
    Member #
    There is nothing better than a short straight stalked Marlin lever. No matter how many times you look at one or another it never gets old. Keep up the wonderful work.
    Team 450 #31 1895m ported Thanks to a great friend
    Team 1894 #80 44-40
    Team 336 #724 30-30
    Team 336 #431 35 Rem.
    Team 44-40 #18

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Great work. Looking fwd to finished rifle and the range report.

Rob
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks, we'll get it there. Just back from hunting the SC Low Country...2 does and a buck in the freezer...used a Win 70 7mm Mauser and a Win 1886 45-70 for the job. Workin on a Thompson Renagade this weekend and I'll be getting back to the Marlin. Figured I'd order a large size marlin reproduction buttplate and keep this marlin lookin marlin all over. A steel buttplate would be very nice but not in line with the Marauder theme of the gun.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links