A 35-30/30 Project - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: A 35-30/30 Project

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Gotta love that LBT mold! Veral does very nice work most of the time. We were "almost neighbors" for a while a few years ago. Never visited as he does not give time to visits, but we exchanged a lot of emails over a 35 year period. John Taylor is getting a lot of good press. I may have to be looking him up one of these days.

City Slicker - wish yours was a straight stock - we'd be talking! See you in a couple months. Vacation is scheduled for the week after the 4th of July. We will be in Potosi on the 3rd or the 4th.

Jeff
    MidBigWest likes this.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Gun Wizard
    Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away
    Member #
    Another mold I've had good results with is the Accurate 36-245D. I use this one mostly for small game and plinking loads with 8-9 grains of Bullseye for about 1000-1100 fps. Cast 1:40 it rivets and expands some if large bones are hit, and even at subsonic velocity its penetration is astounding. This gives me an alternate bullet which is very accurate at lower subsonic velocities for low noise, and is distinctively different from the heavier 260-grain LBT bullet I use for "full charge" hunting loads.

The huge, ample grease groove ensures adequate lube capacity for use with LPG lube and Goex black powder without "fouling out" over long strings of fire.

If anyone needs to ask "Why would I want to shoot black powder?" The answer is Because I wanted to see what it did and I can!

36-245D-D.png
    The ENEMY Is Listening
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Member #
    This has really been a great thread! I followed up the visit with Cityslicker and subsequent range time with his 35x30-30 with an offer to purchase, which he accepted and we made the deal a year later, upon my return to visit the relatives nearby. Remember the "straight grip" comment a few posts back? With a little input, and a spare straight stock, it is now a straight grip rifle and I am in LOVE! I haven't had much time with it as we have moved twice and a lot has been put on hold. Moving again this summer, returning to North Idaho to retire to our mountaintop home on 21 acres. I see a home shooting range in my future.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Interesting thread. I have some interest in this as I have an 1893 Marlin I am thinking of using for a 35/30 project. My gunsmith friend is checking into getting the barrel rebored and I can get a new die set from Redding. Thanks for posting for all the updates.
    Sweetwater likes this.

Member #
    BH - it's probably in this thread somewhere, but mine came from City SLicker. It is a Marlin SC model rebored by JES in Oregon. Great job and like City Slicker, I did not buy dies for it. I neck size with the 357mag carbide sizer and seat and crimp with the 35Rem dies.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Interesting thread and I'm not sure how I missed it until now. I would be interested to hear abut reloading for that gun and how it performs at the range. Any more photos? Also curious what the overall build set you back if you don't mind my asking. I have done a few custom guns and the prices can really get up there when you add it all up, especially when you get into NFA builds.
    Maineiac likes this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    BH - it's probably in this thread somewhere, but mine came from City SLicker. It is a Marlin SC model rebored by JES in Oregon. Great job and like City Slicker, I did not buy dies for it. I neck size with the 357mag carbide sizer and seat and crimp with the 35Rem dies.
    Sweetwater,
    Even after City Slicker sent that rifle home with you he still kept up hounding me to do one myself. I still get an email from him about once every two months with a link to a bargain 30-30 rifle to send to JES. He is an enabler with the 35-30.

I think your rifle is the one he used when I watched him down a big whitetail in W Nebraska. It looked like a mulie whitetail cross. Hope it is still serving you well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Don't worry 'bout the mule, just load the wagon." Unknown

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    This thread got me thinking about taking a 336SS and turning it into an SC variation in 35 rem. Need to finish off my 44-40 project first though.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Member #
    BFPGW - you are correct! He even sent me his left over 180's - jacketed stuff - the IDEA! I told him he should have stuffed it with them Saeco 245's, but his comfort zone was with the 180gr Jacketed bullets. They obviously got the job done, with just a little less cool factor, but still in the freezer! It is a great rifle. I made it a straight stock, gave him back the pistol grip he carved. It was beautiful, but I'm a straight stock kind of guy. It'll be my North Idaho Tractor/Truck Gun. Whitetail and Elk on the property. Saw some bear sign. Need a gamecam to see what's shaking. About a half mile from thousands of acres of state and timber company lands. Great playground...shooting range off the deck!

Retiring in July - moving up to North Idaho, Naples to be exact. Waiting on weather and paperwork to sign on the dotted line for a 21 acre spread on a mountain with a 1800 sq ft house built in 2009. Headed for Maine in late July to be there 2nd week of August for 50th High School reunion. Hope to get a stopover in Potosi one way or the other. Maybe get another day with you and City Slicker, maybe even SparkyCivil! I see him, his dad, and his son at Cheyenne a couple times now. Last year, his son stole the whole show! What a performance! Over 1200 yards!! DING! This is the rifle as I bought it. Funny I don't have a pic of it in straight stock form. I'll have to remedy that!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sweetwater; 04-09-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    savage99nc1, BFPGW and cstan like this.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Pretty neat conversion. Nice job!
    Life/Endowment member NRA--New York State Rifle and Pistol Association Member
    Semper Fi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links