Firearms Photos - good/interesting photos
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1145Likes

Thread: Firearms Photos - good/interesting photos

Contributing Member
    Member #

Firearms Photos - good/interesting photos

Today, anyone can just snap a photo of their gun & post it, but do you ever try to get a good photo of one of your firearms? Shotgun, rifle, handgun, whatever... Time to time I'll try to take a better than average photo of one or more of my firearms. Sometimes at home, sometimes in camp or in the field. Marlin Owners has LOTS of firearms photos on it, but I'd love to see the ones you've taken, that you made an effort at, or that came out unexpectedly well. I'll start with a couple of mine that I like, these were actually taken with my android cell phone, nothing fancy:

11.7mm Danish Rolling block (very similar to a 45-70) with the sword-bayonet for that rifle and a grizzly skull. The dark background is a bear rug here at the house. I took just a few moments to set up the shot, and thought it came out pretty well:

22 Savage Hi-Power, 1913 build, displayed with a couple of older boxes of ammo, and a wolf skull, on a coyote rug. I think I could have done a lot better on this photo, but I gave it a try. I like that it's posed with wolf & coyote, for which the 22 Savage would be appropriate:

Had the rolling block rifle at the range one cloudy & damp day, set it down on the weathered table and thought, "Huh, that looks kinda cool." So propped up a cartridge on it, and snapped with the cell phone. It's okay, way more interesting than on the floor with my socks in the photo.

I'll toss in a few more later, with some thoughts on what I thought made it a more interesting photo.

Looking forward to yours. Guy

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Ha - I just went upstairs and created a photo with a lot of mistakes - all of which detract. We're trying to show off the rifle. Hey, it's only a Glenfield but I like it.

What you don't want to see are: my socks, the carpet, my dog, the camera strap hanging down into the photo... And the flash overwhelms the rifle. Also, trying to get the entire rifle into the photo isn't usually necessary. This is NOT a good way to show off our rifles:

Guy

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    Guy, I really like that Danish rolling block. I'm going thru the motions right now trying to decide between a vintage Remington RB in 45/70 or a clean 1879 trapdoor. Got the spg holy black compression die smoke cloud itch.

I try to get a good picture of my guns, but I usually fall short. I never have the right lighting I guess.
    image1 (4).jpeg
    cajun56, Ret_Eng, M700 and 14 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Rifles and shotguns, even short-barreled versions, are pretty long. Difficult to get the whole rifle into a good photo. So, don't show the whole rifle in the photo! In the first post with three photos of the rolling block and the Savage, none show the entire rifle. It's not normally necessary. And think about angling the rifle, not just diagonally across the photo, but perhaps angling it up or down, away from the photographer...

Here are three shots of my 375 H&H Ruger Number One at the gun club. I took a moment to shoot a few photos. They could have been better set up or posed, but, they show the difference between showing the whole rifle, then closer, and closer still. I should have gotten rid of that green water bladder, peeking out from under the pack flap!

The whole rifle. Good points about the photo are that it shows the grain in the buttstock, and also that I'm shooting at 300 yards, not at typical handgun distances:

A little closer, and that obnoxious blue plastic ammo box is out of the picture:

Finally, real close, and a cartridge is added. Perhaps my hand shouldn't have been, and to me the plastic water bladder peeking out from the pack flap detracts too, but there's good detail on the rifle action & scope mount:

It was just a brief pause in my rifle practice, and I didn't put much into the photos, but they're "decent" in my opinion, far better than on the floor with my socks!

Guy

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Nice rifles.
    hawkeyesatx and Sambane like this.
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Instead of trying to make everyone change for you, maybe you should make a change for yourself.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I wish I had skill with a camera and could take really GOOD pics. Great photos guys! I am always in a rush and the resulting pic always seems to reflect that............
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Travis - I like the revolver photo - and it's obvious you made an effort to set it up. Including cool stuff somehow related to the gun makes it interesting to me. You've got ammo, the bullet mold, the powder you use, a cool sign, and the whole thing is set on a nice background. Lighting is okay.

A second photo, closer in on the revolver, with the other stuff moved out of the way, but on the same background, would be great.

Guy

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Travis - I like the revolver photo - and it's obvious you made an effort to set it up. Including cool stuff somehow related to the gun makes it interesting to me. You've got ammo, the bullet mold, the powder you use, a cool sign, and the whole thing is set on a nice background. Lighting is okay.

A second photo, closer in on the revolver, with the other stuff moved out of the way, but on the same background, would be great.

Guy
    My OCD always tells me I have to get the WHOLE gun into the picture, but looking at your photos you are definitely right! You don't have to display the whole thing. I'm going to play around with it today using your suggestions.
    M700, Kendawg, hawkeyesatx and 3 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    This is the only rifle I own with "nice" wood - it's a 375 H&H Winchester Model 70. Sunlight usually does a nice job of bringing out the wood grain. I took this photo at the range, and was trying to show off the buttstock.

The rest of the rifle isn't shown well, and that didn't matter, because I was only after the buttstock.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Never should have sold this rifle, my JM stamped Marlin 1895. Took the photo years ago on a sunny bear hunt. Again, the sunshine brings out the wood grain.

At the time I was messing around with the crossbolt safety, getting used to carrying a lever action loaded, one in the chamber, safety on. After all, I was bear hunting. Set the rifle on the pack, found a decent angle, and snapped the photo while taking a break from the hunting. No, I didn't get a bear.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links