Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By dstegjas
  • 2 Post By HIKayaker
  • 2 Post By dstegjas

Thread: Sometime you just have to scratch that itch

Wrangler
    Member #

Sometime you just have to scratch that itch

We have been going to the Outer Banks on vacation for several years now. I have really enjoyed going up into the 4X4 area and taking pictures of the wild horses. I have a lot of other pictures but the horses have always kept my interest.

Jim
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 1894C 357 Magnum
    Marlin 1894 44 Magnum (x2)
    Marlin 336 35 Rem.
    Marlin 1895GS 45-70

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Nice photo. I love the horses. Which island was that?

But you didn't get that pic today.

I'm sitting just behind Harkers Island, and we've been getting 30-40mph winds all day and gusts to 60 mph. And no blue sky.

We've got several herds of wild horses nearby, on Shackleford Banks, Carrot Island, and Cedar Island. Okracoke also has a well known herd of horses and they all survived the most recent hurricane, Dorian.

Interesting story after hurricane Dorian in September. Okracoke had a very large storm surge which made the news. Cedar Island (where the ferry leaves for Okracoke) also had a large surge and they, unfortunately, lost 29 from their herd of 57 horses. One drowned cow washed up on the beach a few days later and 3 other cows went missing, and were also presumed to have drowned.

In October someone reported seeing a cow on Core Banks--the next barrier island beneath Okracoke. (There are normally no cows or horses on Core Banks.) When it was finally investigated, they found that cow and 2 more from Cedar Island. That's 2 1/2 miles across open water--in a hurricane, no less! Very tough cows!

The cows will be returned to Cedar Island.
    Judson and 256WinMag like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Wrangler
    Member #
    This picture was taken a few years ago above Corolla in the 4X4 area. We have stayed as far north as Corolla where we had to drive 7 miles down the beach to get to the house. Lately we have been staying in the Pine Knoll Shores area. I do have several pictures of the horses on Shackleford Banks too. I enjoyed being dropped off on the island and walking around looking for them. My wife's dad was stationed at Cherry Point and she was born in New Bern and lived there for several year.My wife and I have enjoyed going back to that area over the years. In fact we just got back home last Tuesday.

Jim
    HIKayaker and Judson like this.
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 1894C 357 Magnum
    Marlin 1894 44 Magnum (x2)
    Marlin 336 35 Rem.
    Marlin 1895GS 45-70

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Great pic.
    HIKayaker, the coast of NC is sorta like the mountains. We both get weather, but luckily in a day or so it is gone, My wife and I were at the Coast before, during and after Dorian. Luckily not at Okracoke. Then the Blizzard of '93 was no cake walk here in the mountains.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links