Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Light Houses in Maine & NH

2K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  redhawk0 
#1 ·
The Mrs. has been on the boat with me lately and brings her camera along for the ride. The following snaps are of some light houses in the area we frequent in Maine and New Hampshire.

Lighthouse Beacon Tower Light Sky

Nubble Light, Cape Neddick, York, ME. Moon rise. (Not shot from the boat).

Tower Lighthouse Landmark Beacon Sea

Whaleback Light, Kittery, ME/Portsmouth Harbor, NH
The border of NH and ME runs right down the middle of the channel.

Lighthouse Tower Beacon Sea Promontory

White Island Light, Isles of Shoals, Rye, NH.

Sky Water Natural landscape Nature Reflection

Whaleback Light, Portsmouth Harbor, NH. Sunrise.

See less See more
#4 ·
It is a beautiful coastline. I’ve taken my boat from Portsmouth, NH to the mouth of the Kennebec and then up that to a friends place in Richmond. What a beautiful ride.

Here’s another of Portsmouth Light at Fort Constitution, NeW Castle, NH.

Lighthouse Tower Beacon Landmark Sea

#5 ·
Those are beautiful photo's. I'm in southern Maine.
I'm only three mile's from the Nubble lighthouse. I'm also into costal photography.
The coast here is very beautiful. The crowd's are starting to thin out a bit.
Ill be heading down to the lighthouse this morning to click a few photo's.
Perkin's cove will be my second stop there is a cliff walk called Marginal way that is beautiful.,
Lot's of wildlife , breaking surf to photograph. Just beautiful country then come's winter!!!!!

#6 ·
Beautiful pics Ken!

Dont forget the camera and to post up some pics too jog!

Reactions: Kendawg
#9 ·
The Great Lakes are beautiful and so full of American History. I stayed on Mackinac Island for a few days. Just gorgeous. No cars allowed, rode bikes and horses! Very cool place and lots of Light House’s on the lakes.

Reactions: mikom
#11 ·
This is Boon Island Light, about 11 miles out from Cape Neddick, York ME. It stands about 130ft. Above sea level. Sits on a small island of barren rocks. There used to be two light keepers houses on the Island in the late 1800’s. During a nasty Nor’Easter the keepers had to take to the lamp room of the light house for shelter, the entire island was awash. Shortly after that they automated the light house. There is a WWII freighter wrecked near by on Boon island ledge that I scuba dive on.

Lighthouse Tower Beacon Landmark Sea

#12 ·
Nice photographs of some great throwbacks to navigation in the days of sextant & compass!
No GPS back in '76 & my schooner had kerosene running lights & stove.
In later years, i have navigated very slowly through the thick fog down Some Sound to anchor near West End by GPS.

#15 ·
That schooner sounds nice, very nostalgic! I still keep a paper chart, dividers, parallel rule, and a hand compass on board in case the electronics die. I have an installed compass as well. We can get fog in an instant during the summer months, especially off the coast of Maine.

Reactions: vt4ster and jog
#14 ·
Cool I never heard about the empire knight wreck. Just got back from the nubble light.
Very windy down there, Took a few photo's nothing good kind of a grey day.
I stopped by the Kittery Trading Post afterword's. I put some money down on a mint Winchester model 70 westerner.22 inch barrel in 30-06.
I always wanted one! It has a Redfield 3 by 9 by 40 on it. I cant wait to pick it up and put a box or two thru it!
Enjoy your Sunday!
P.S. I live in Cape Neddick

#17 · (Edited)
Yea, to many firearm's in that place. I go in for 10 min come out 2 hrs later.
They had a 1951 marlin 336 in 35 cal. with old cheap tasco scope for $365.00.
There was no blueing what so ever. Very odd, At first I thought it was stainless.
My next marlin has to be a 336 Texan at least 1960s or 1970s. 30-30 or 35 cal. I love the straight stock's.
Sooner or later one will walk in the trading post. I must have some patience.

#18 ·
Kendawg,
You won't believe it, but I built that Stay sail Schooner in downtown Denver in '74-'75. Melted down 6,500 pounds of scrap lead to make the ballast keel.
Trucked it down to Galveston in the Spring of '76 where I launched it & did some shake down sails. Then it was off across the Gulf of Mexico for a week out of sight of land. The sextant put me right on the Dry Tortugas (a few hundred yards in diameter) where Fort Jefferson sits about 75 miles SW of Key West.
Spent a couple of fine years gunkholing around the Caribbean!

Reactions: Kendawg and vt4ster
#19 ·
That’s awesome, what an experience! If you have any pictures you can post, put them up right here, would love to see them.

#21 ·
Kendawg, I particularly like the photo of the Nubble Light. I bought a painting of it many years ago at an art show in Santa Barbara of all places. It has hung in a prominent place in my home wherever I've lived since then. I've had a thing for lighthouses since I was a kid growing up in New England. I spent almost half of my adult life on the West Coast so when I got into photography, lighthouses became some of my favorite subjects. Here are a some images.

Cape Flattery Lighthouse (WA)

Cape Disappointment Lighthouse (WA)

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse (OR)

Hecata Head Lighthouse (OR)

Yaquina Head Lighthouse (OR)

Cape Meares Lighthouse

Point Arena Lighthouse (CA)

Point Cabrillo Lighthouse (CA)

Battery Point Light Station (CA)

Point San Luis Obispo Lighthouse

#22 ·
Bluzman,

Those are some stunning photos! Thanks for putting them up! I love the Battery Point Light Station with its big Fresnel lens and fog horns coming out the roof! Many of the light houses around here have had those beautiful lens’ removed and replaced with blinkers.
That’s a good story about your Nubble Light painting! It is one of the most photographed light houses on the east coast.

Reactions: bluzman
#23 ·
#24 ·
My wife Ann went to the sea coast tonight to photograph the full “worm” moon. These images are of Whaleback Light House, marking the entrance to Portsmouth Harbor, New Hampshire. Whaleback casts its light onto the North Atlantic Ocean and has guided our boat back to home port many times and is welcome sight each time. The channel into Portsmouth splits the border of Maine and New Hampshire, Whaleback lies on the Maine side, she photographed it from the New Hampshire side.

Sky Full moon Light Moon Celestial event
Full moon Sky Moon Light Beacon

#25 · (Edited)
Having spent my USCG time doing SAR and drug interdiction up and down the west coast, I am familiar with the California lighthouses. Thanks for the tour! My FIL was a Naval Surgeon and after retirement he collected lighthouse sculpture. Has some really nice ones of famous lights.

Edit/Add: The Cape Disappointment light is on the north side of the Columbia River bar and Cape D is also the home of the USCG Motor Lifeboat Training School. Pretty rough waters up there and the Class A School puts out some pretty salty sailors.

#29 · (Edited)
My wife and I enjoy going to see Nubble at Christmas time. I love the Christmas lights decorating the outline of all the buildings.

We have spent about 15 of our 31 anniversaries up in Ogunquit at the Meadowmere resort...We're planning to go again in June this year. It's just a short walk to the North entrance to Marginal Way Walk from the resort and It is NEVER a disappointment....even if its foggy, it's beautiful. When we get to the end at Perkins Cove...we have lunch at the Oarweed Restaurant. They have a great Crab melt. It's a wonderful time for sure.

redhawk

#30 ·
Rehawk-
We enjoy the Marginal way and Perkins cove as well, very pretty area. My wife is going to take a photo of the Milky Way from Marginal way when she gets a wider angle lens. For those of you that aren’t familiar with the Marginal Way it is a small paved foot path that meanders along the rocky Maine coastline between a sand beach and a very picturesque small quaint harbor. Highly recommended if you are in the area.

#31 ·
They "rebuilt" several parts of the MWW over the past 5 years or so. It really looks nice with the stone pavers and new Benefactor benches that line the 1.5 miles. My wife and I have even been on it in the winter. It's so quiet and peaceful when there aren't a thousand walkers on it...the only downside is, most of Perkins Cove is closed in the Winter months.

When we go in June, we buy Christmas ornaments at the Christmas Store (next to the Oarweed restaurant). It feels strange to go in that shop in June to Christmas shop.

We first fell in love with Nubble Lighthouse on an anniversary trip. There are boat trips out of Perkin's Cove that go down to the LH island and back. It's a very pleasant trip when the water is calm.

I agree...anyone visiting Ogunquit should visit the Marginal Way Walk and Perkins Cove.

redhawk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.