A Thread for Our Pets That Are Still With Us - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree377Likes

Thread: A Thread for Our Pets That Are Still With Us

Distinguished Master
    In an old beaver swamp in upstate New York
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    Rattlesnakes are safe if not near camp. Other snakes are welcome as they too keep the vermin in control but don't endanger the hounds. Porcupines are the dumbest creatures you have ever seen but with those sharp hooked quills I guess they don't need to be smart. Never feel good about shooting them but after pulling quills out of a dog a few times I will not have them around camp. They also like to chew on axe, shovel handles etc.

Padraig
    The toilet seat in the outhouse to.
    Padraig likes this.
    Supporter of USA Olympic shooting Team
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Mingo getting her sea legs today on the river
    By 11:30 the wind blew us off the river today, those little white caps turned into almost 2 footer's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by no primers View Post
    Mingo getting her sea legs today on the river
    By 11:30 the wind blew us off the river today, those little white caps turned into almost 2 footer's
    What river are you on

Padraig

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by no primers View Post
    The toilet seat in the outhouse to.
    LOL. Also make sure there is not one inside!

Padraig
    no primers and RJF22553 like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    What river are you on

Padraig
    Hudson river , the stripers/ Bass come up the river every spring to spawn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Looks like fun. Waiting for parts for my boat.

Padraig
    no primers likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    During her eight years and two days with us on this farm, my Fi only spent one night away: with friends at their lake house, with us. They wanted Fi to chase away the Canada Geese that were crapping all over their back yard and "beach". She was fine with them with no interest in chasing. No surprise to me...But it was her first encounter with cows (neighbor's), with an electric fence between us. Fi had never seen cows before (horses and deer, yes). She was as intrigued with them as they were of her - trying to figure out what she was...It was all a very nice experience, with all the calves coming over to see their fellow black buddy, of about the same height.

Fi did her typical adrenalin-tooth-chatter, kept me between her and the calves, but urged me forward so she could get closer. To say she was "animated" afterwards would be a great understatement.... Yet another wonderful encounter for her. And me!
    no primers likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    At our place on the lake, the ducks and geese are allowed in the lake but not the yard. The Wolfhounds run them off quite happily.

This coming Sunday my six month old Irish Wolfhound is competing in her first show. Wish us
    Padraig
    RJF22553 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Two formerly feral barn rescue cats; now tripping hazards. They hang out in my shop with me during the day. Hate the monthly flea/tick application, but forgive me (come back to me) after an hour or two. Usually... Food helps!

My wife and I are at the stage of worrying about them outlasting us, and who cares for them. My nephew will arrange for that, as he is still in the Army. But still, we worry for our critters. Cats and two horses. Our elder horse is why we're even here at the farm, he's 29, and the math would suggest we'll out-live him; but then again, he hasn't had two heart attacks or has prostate cancer... But for the other, relatively young, we just don't know. When my nephew retires from the Army, it is unlikely he'll retire to our farm, so our younger horse will likely go to our vet, with a "trust" of sorts. Should our elder horse outlast us, the two of them would go to our vet, together, in a "trust". My nephew will cover that, we are sure.

Nonetheless, we're at a time where realities are that our "pets" may outlast us. Will need to trust our neighbors to care for the two kitties...My nephew is allergic to cats...

Troubling sometimes...Keeps us awake, which also keeps us wanting to outlive them, despite the pain of saying "till later"...
    Padraig and no primers like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I may - or may not - have mentioned my beloved Fi still answers my requests/concerns, six+ years hence.

This morning, I lamented to her that the two rabbits that frequent our front yard in the morning did not seem to be around. They had been a daily occurrence for several weeks, but stopped showing up several days ago. I was concerned that a local fox might have taken them out. I walked out into the front yard looking for them, with no luck, lamented to Fi my concerns, then walked back onto the porch. As I turned around, there was one of the rabbits! It wasn't there ten seconds earlier!

My Fi has done this more often than I can cite. Once or twice I could chalk it up to coincidence, but I have experienced something like this hundreds of times since her commencement to eternal life over six years ago - all soon after I lamented to her my concerns for rabbits, squirrels, deer, hummingbirds, and our barn cats.

It is certainly endorphin-producing knowing she is still with us, listening to us, and doing her love-thingy.

My wife has experienced similar things, and is now a believer that our Fi is listening (or God is eavesdropping).

We've never experienced anything like this before. It is ALMOST as good as when she was with us physically. Perhaps better, depending on your beliefs...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links