A Thread for Our Pets That Are Still With Us - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree377Likes

Thread: A Thread for Our Pets That Are Still With Us

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Bassetman, thank you. I was not a horse person before my betrothed (23 years ago yesterday). Horses were her always-denied life-long dream and I couldn't be happier than to see her joy in fulfilling that dream. I only rode our Mac four times. Twice I came off gracefully...First ungraceful "coming off" (my first time on him) broke a rib along the back side and bruised my liver. Suffered with that for almost a year, but I got back on him and rode him to the stables that day (then cried like a baby). Second time was at our farm: no injuries - I just slid off his side slowly after mounting. He was a perfect gentleman both times and hovered over me, concerned. I have never ridden Hawk, and my riding days are probably over.

The funny thing was my Fi (120lbs) was very wary of the horses and kept her distance except when they were running. Then she was too close and in danger of a playful kick. So we discouraged her from that, and often locked her out of the pasture when they were running. They had both gotten to be about 1,200lbs by then, so they were 10X Fi's weight. Scruffy, on the other hand, was 12lbs and ruled the farm and the horses. She would eat their feed while they were eating without any fear and would walk among them, snarling when necessary to assert her dominance. Powers of ten...

Our two barn cats are probably between 10-12lbs. They keep their distance from the horses but aren't terrified of them. I've learned that horses and cats are similar in some respects: if they're really pissed off, both will "lace" their ears back and swish their tails. Happens never these days, but there were times early on...

So my wife and I live out our remaining days with Mac and Hawk and Spooky and Smokey. Unless God provides us with another dog or two, we'll be satisfied with those four, and worry about their care should they survive us. Our greatest fear when Fi was with us was not being able to lift her into the SUV to get her to a vet should the unimaginable happen: adrenaline aside, we could have never lifted her. We fortunately never faced that fear.

Fi is still with us in spirit, and lets me know that every single day.

We are blessed.

Give your puppies an extra long hug. Their time with you is precious. And be patient: you will be with them again, in a world more spectacular than we could ever imagine.

I know, because my Fi showed me, briefly. Kind of a "Trailer"...
    bassetman1974 likes this.

2. 05-18-2019, 01:35 PM

Supporting Vendor

Reason
    photos won't post

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Rebel Daniel II

My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bgavin View Post
    One of my chinchillas came up blind in one eye yesterday.
    I figure he must have run into something in the cage.
    Vet will see him tomorrow.

2019.05.15-Jackie.4481.sfw.jpg
    We lost him today.
    The vet said he had a tumor behind his eye... vet told us putting him down was the most kind thing we could do for him.
    14 years, 15 days we had him from birth to passing.
    RJF22553 and Texas Shooter like this.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Stoeger coach gun

5. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinManCB45/70 View Post
    Rebel Daniel II

sooo what have you got look!
    Texas Shooter likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    bgavin, I can't say as I've ever had the pleasure of a chinchilla, but I love pretty much all of God's creatures. I'm sorry for your loss. There is a far better place awaiting us and our loved ones, so take some comfort in the fact that your pal will be awaiting you. Of this I know.
    KG and bgavin like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My Fi continues to amaze me! I lamented to her two days ago there were no rabbits about the farm (they were in abundance when she was with us). Yesterday, TWO were enjoying our spring grass in front of our house - first I've seen in quite a while...

Horses and kitties are still lovers. Canada Geese have decided our grass is good stuff!
    Last edited by RJF22553; 05-20-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Years ago, I had the "night shift" in terms of caring for our horses. Night-time was when the toads and tree frogs came out, and I was always greated by toads and occasionally tree-frogs for my nighttime duties. Cats left them alone, and they always gave me a smile. Then last year, our "duties" changed and I did breakfast and lunch; my wife evening chores. No more toads for me. I miss them, and my wife's pictures of them in the evening reaffirm that. We're back to driving slowly on our driveways in the near-dark to shoo those toads out of the way.

Snakes, too. Saw my first black rat snake yesterday - a beautiful sight!. We love them all, even Copperheads, but I must sadly dispatch those as they are a real danger to our cats and horses.

Have two Carolina Wrens that have set up a nest inside our screened-in porch. Access through two holes chewed open by squirrels. They have two broods a year and we just had our first. It is wonderful watching those babies hop around and find their way out. My Fi and Scruffy would have been ecstatic!

They're all pets as far as I'm concerned: God has entrusted us to their care and protection and joy. We are truly blessed!

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Yes at our Pennsylvania Mountain camp we have rattlesnakes and porcupines. They are not tolerated because of our dogs.

Padraig
    RJF22553 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Padraig, can't say as I've ever seen any porkies around here. In our particular region, Copperheads are the only venomous snakes about. At least they give a chance to get to a vet in needed. Have only needed to dispatch less than a handful in the 14+ years we've lived here. Necessary, but not desired.

Some neighbors view any snake as a lethal threat. It's a shame. We rejoice at seeing black rat snakes about, although we're not keen on their chomping down on bird eggs...I always have a picture of a true Copperhead available so I can do a verification ID. some rat-snakes look similar. Don't want to get close enough to verify eyes and snout...

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Rattlesnakes are safe if not near camp. Other snakes are welcome as they too keep the vermin in control but don't endanger the hounds. Porcupines are the dumbest creatures you have ever seen but with those sharp hooked quills I guess they don't need to be smart. Never feel good about shooting them but after pulling quills out of a dog a few times I will not have them around camp. They also like to chew on axe, shovel handles etc.

Padraig
    RJF22553 and Texas Shooter like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links