Member #
    work sucks.jpg
    Work Sucks

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    When I lost my 17 yr old kitty last year,I told my girlfriend “no more cats”.I get too attached.And it is a heart ache to say goodbye.
    Well I lasted a few months mourning my beloved kitty.
    In early Jan 2019,my girlfriend and I took her pit mix to get his yearly vaccinations.The Dr’s wife runs a cat rescue.Of course she asked me to look at some kittens.She knows I’m an easy mark.
    I was determined not to get another cat.But,this little white Manx would not have it.He insisted to come home.And he made me take along his little rag doll girlfriend too.What a con man!
    They were around 3 mo old then.Around 7 mo old now.I still miss my old kitty.But,these two are awesome.But,they are the last 2 cats I will ever own.No more!

DA86B27E-94FD-4CEE-8325-6FE5D92231BE.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boobarzo; 04-23-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Add pics
    RJF22553, kraynky, Golphin and 4 others like this.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Folks, great photos and pets. I neglected to provide any from my original post.

Our elder horse Mac had been a police horse for a while - with the Charleston, WV Mounted Police: until they shut it down. He was donated to them from his original owner's widow, who could no longer handle him. Foaled in 1999, so he's 30 now. When the Charleston PD shut down the Mounted police department, he was offered back to the widow but she found him a new home: the Quantico Marine Corps Base stables - as a government horse for lessons and trail rides for their recreation program. For a number of reasons, that did not work out well and - after being shut down in their efforts to put him down - he was auctioned off as "dangerous and un-trainable". My wife, volunteering at the stables, was the only one who could handle him and also the only one who would care for him: groom, pick feet, change water, etc. We bid $800 in a sealed bid on a Friday, with the bids opened on Monday. I knew she really wanted him (as did I) and offered to up the bid over the weekend. But she said "No: if God means for us to have him, $800 is enough". I had never seen such faith in my life!

Well, God did intend, and that Monday - while at work - I got a call informing me we were "horse owners". That was in 1998: he was nine years old; my wife 50. It was the fulfillment of a life-long dream for her, and I couldn't be happier for her; and me: he was our first (and only) pet together. When she first indicated she wanted Mac and I said great, she opined that having a horse will change our lives forever. I said fine. Little did I know, and all those changes were for the good!

So here are two pics of our Mac: one when he was an "officer" with the Charleston PD (center), and one with my wife jumping him at the Quantico stables a bit after we got him. My wife was known at the stables as the "one who jumps bareback"...
    Officer Napoleon - 1995.jpgMac-Jumping.JPG
    Last edited by RJF22553; 04-23-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Our Mac loved being the sole recipient of a sole person, rather than cared for by whomever was assigned. We was truly a one-person horse. But it was a tough transition of about a year for both him and my wife. Things turned out well eventually, and he particularly enjoyed my presence since I never made him do anything...except accept my loving on him.

My wife's first attempts at jumping him in the stables' arena weren't particularly fruitful: he refused to jump over even the smallest jump. I watched for a bit and recalled he followed me around like a lost puppy dog, do I went out into the arena, petted him a bit, and then started walking the course of jumps. He followed me but wouldn't go over the jumps.

Until I did.

He followed me through all the jumps; much to the enjoyment of not only me and my wife, but also of the dozen or so other horse owners watching. We got to be an attraction!

For trail rides, sometimes he wasn't "in the mood" and would refuse to go down the hill to the trails.

Until I did. Then he followed me and we had some wonderful trail rides: me on foot, my wife mounted on Mac. He would follow me like a lost puppy, stop when I would and speed up when I would. Once or twice, I broke into a sprint, with him right behind me, his breath coming down my neck. It was great until I realized that were I to trip, I would have been toast. So we changed our entertainment to hide-and-seek: while he was enjoying some grass, I would hide behind a tree down the trail a ways and then call him. Great fun! He was my 1,100 pound dog...

We did this for several years but one day early in 2004, the MWR leadership decided the stables would close: both sides (private owners and government horses). We private owners lobbied for retaining the private-owner side as a COOP. We were eventually successful for a period of time, but my wife saw the handwriting on the wall and asked if I would be open to her finding a farm for us to move to.

I agreed and she began looking.

She found a place - 25 acres with three fenced-in pastures and a four-stall barn, with a 3,200SF home. I signed the contract - sight unseen - while caring for my terminally ill Father. In January of 2005, we "bought the farm"...

But horses are herd animals: they need a companion. So we got Hawk: ½ Percheron, ½ Andalusian. About the same size as Mac, and for far more than the $800 we paid for Mac. At first sight, they became "locked at the hip" and inseparable.

The two of them joined us at the farm in April 2005, less than a month after we moved in. My wife and I labored well into that night finishing up Hawk's stall - in the middle of a terrible rain/wind storm. At about midnight, we finally had it done and presented it to Hawk and went to bed. The next morning, they were both in Mac's stall and there was no sign Hawk had ever gone into his stall...

While Hawk was our second "pet" together, he did not join us until after my two most beloved dogs: Fi and Scruffy joined us - our first night together, and our first night at the farm.

Mac and Hawk are still with us, now separated with an electric line as Hawk takes over as the alpha male (he wasn't as magnanimous as Mac in being the aplha). Nonetheless, if one goes out on a trail ride, the remaining one gets just as much exercise running around the dry lot.

But here they are together, before that electric wire...Mac and Hawk.JPG

And Hawk in all his glory...Hawk.JPG
    Golphin, Dansken, Arky73 and 3 others like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    After a tuff winter/ spring i'm back on the track again:
    Was looking for a new dog after my Red Heeler Echo passed away. Had to go through surgery and a few "minor adjustments" myself.
    Out of the blue comes Meryl Moonshine aka "Humla" (Humla is a Bumble Bee in Swedish) into my Life. Humla is an 8 year (turned 8 Three Days ago) Working Cocker Spaniel. The most adoring Little dog in the World. She is a "divorse dog" whose previous owner i got in Contact with on a Swedish gun/ hunting forum on the internet.
    Hope we will get a few good years ahead of us hunting phesants/ pidgins/ Crows or whatever- or just keeping each others Company

Golphin, Arky73, OLSKOOL and 6 others like this.
    Wish i didn't know now what i didn't know then.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

A Thread for Our Pets That Are Still With Us

Nice!
    KG and Blaine like this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    DSCF7252 (1).jpg_MG_4737.JPG

Lucy, my fox hound. I found her at a gas station as a pup, skinny, cold and begging for food. well she is doing pretty good now,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Dansken, RJF22553, Stalker and 6 others like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    DSCN0198.jpg

My squirrel dogs, Buddy and Addie....
    also my best friends in the world.
    OLSKOOL, RJF22553, Dansken and 5 others like this.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links