When to put a dog down
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

When to put a dog down

This is probably not the right place to post this but I am always on this site and have had a lot sleepless nights stewing about what to do with the family dog. He is a beagle mix that I got from the pound in 1998 and they guessed that he was 1-2 years old at the time. He has had a persistant skin problem since we got him. different foods different meds, different state from Ca to CT. two years ago he got cancer in the nose. It swelled up like a golf ball. He had surgery on it and the doctor recommended radiation and chemo. He also said that he has had dogs that have come in several times to have it removed. Well its back and as bad as it was before. For the past couple years he has been pretty lethargic and would rather hold up in his dog house than play with the kids.
    Since his cancer has returned and seeing his general condition I have been thinking seriously about putting him to sleep. This has caused me to procastinate and he is not getting better. Any tips on how to come to grips with this would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian
    formerly the)Last hunter on my block.

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

When to put a dog down

I had to put down my Choc lab a couple years ago. He was 13 years old and I had him since he was 6 weeks. I don't think I will ever have another dog as good as he was. He had been having problems and started getting sores all over. I had him to the vet a few times and nothing really seemed to work. The day before Easter he just looked at me like he had had enough. It killed me, but I did it for him. I wanted so bad to back out right before the vet put him down, but as bad as it hurt I knew it was only fair to him to help him out.

I really miss him, but I have no regrets about doing the right thing for him. I just knew it was time. You will know when, and as much as it hurts think about your dog, and how much suffering he will endure if you don't do what needs to be done.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

When to put a dog down

I'm tempted to be frank, but that wouldn't be appropriate with someone dealing with something like this. There are practical things to consider, and your feelings. The dog needs to benefit, and I'm guessing that its a squamous cell carcinoma. Treating cancer tends to alienate our pets, and we loose a little bit of them every time we do it. I'm not against it, but wouldn't do it for my own pet unless its got better chances than what i usually see.

Many vets these days take advantage of a situation and put you into a position most don't need or want. (feeling guilty) Keeping him going is going to benefit who? The dog, if he's avoiding you, is suffering. He isn't himself. Don't try to humanize him.

Make a decision based on how he reacted the first time. They didn't get it all, so the procedure if repeated, needs to be more extensive.

Much of the time some of these treatment regimens are total B.S.

This is what I do for a living. I'm not euthanasia happy. I'm practical. Thd dog is suffering. Any treatment is at best palliative. Put him to sleep. Don't waste another day. He's lived a priviledged life, and has been lucky. Don't make him suffer his last days. That's the human way...

Thats my 2 cents worth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

When to put a dog down

Kind and sensible words, Dr. A

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

When to put a dog down

Brian,

David and Alan put it correctly. It is a hard thing but you might think about it this way. When would YOU want to give it up? When would YOU direct no life support for yourself? That is the way I decide but we are all different in our make up.

Try hard to be at peace with your decision bro.

Dave
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Sidewinder
    Member #

When to put a dog down

Thank You very much Dr.A, I had the tumor removed the first time but decided not to $pend the who knows how much on the other treatments. He thought that he got it out but here it is again. Just removed my head from my ass and I'll take care of what needs to be done. Again I really appreciated the reponses.
    Brian
    formerly the)Last hunter on my block.

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

When to put a dog down

Emotions are really hard to seperate from rational thought at times.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Platinum Poster
    Member #

When to put a dog down

Animals are part of the family.. Thank God we can treat them way more humane that we do people..
    It's hard but Animals don't show pain.. it's a sign of weakness and sure death in the wild, they carry that over as pets also.

You have to put your feelings aside, and I know it's damn hard to do, But it's the right thing to do.. I just had to do one 2 months ago..

I have two new ones I got from PAWS.. not replacements,, but just helping unwanted finding good homes..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

When to put a dog down

Quote Originally Posted by 260Brian
    Just removed my head from my ass and I'll take care of what needs to be done.
    Brian
    Brian,
    I think your head is in the right place, thinking about your dog. This is one of those cases where there is no easy answer. this one has to come from your heart, and even the right thing does not come without pain. Don't second guess your self which ever way you go.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

When to put a dog down

This is always very hard. I have had to make this decision several times with my dogs. My first dog actually died of old age, in her sleep, without any warning. In the last 30+ years I have had to make the decision.

Here is my reasoning:
    1. Dogs are family, but they are not humans.
    2. Dogs are totally dependent on us for their care and comfort throughout life.
    3. Dogs give us so much that we need to return the favor by insuring they do not suffer.
    4. Much of my hesitation in putting down a dog has to do with the pain I will feel at losing them.
    5. I need to be strong enough to accept that pain and do the right thing at the right time.
    6. The basis for decision making should always be, "What is best for the dog?"

Listen to your heart. You will know when it's time.
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links