RD 170 in the 30-06
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By nobade
  • 1 Post By janott

Thread: RD 170 in the 30-06

Sidewinder
    Member #

RD 170 in the 30-06

Yesterday I shot a bunch of RD's 170FN bullets in my 30-06 at 2850 fps with reasonable accuracy (held about 3 MOA) out to 300M. Sized to .303", patched back to .309", lubed with Rooster Jacket. Loaded over 53gr. W760 and lit by a Fed 215 primer. I have found the ball powder works as its own filler and protects the bullet base compared to stick powder, and allows this to work. I didn't try any for expansion, but as soft as they are (air cooled wheelweights then annealed in the oven) the effect on game should be impressive. Anybody else out there been playing with PP bullets recently?
    janott and Glen Roamer like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    nobade, I see this is an old post but well worth looking in to for those who like to cast and those who cast bullets should look in to PPB's. I too have the same bullet mold and have used it paper patched with the 300WM, accuracy was there but I had other things needed done at the time and dropped the load for another time. I have a 30-06 model 70 that will get tested with it soon. I have also used this same bullet paper patched for the 30-30 and I'm very impressed with the accuracy and infact my daughter will shoot a buffalo with it in January but I'm working her up to it first.
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The .30 caliber PPB may be the most important one out there: it could bridge the gap between PPB's being something for buffalo reinactors and PPB's being something for Johny .30-06 deer hunter to bring home meat (or even defend the home) with. I think the 45-70 ppb is much more forgiving/easier. When it gets into the 30 calibers (30-06, 308, 30-30, 300 mag, etc) they seem to be more complicated (accuracy, expansion, diameter, etc). Does RD still sell these molds, if so, could y'all tell me where?
    Gun Control is a Liberal Hate Crimes against Good Ole Boys.
    Introduce a kid or neighbor to hunting or shooting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Hi, Ranch Dog has quit selling moulds, but NOE is licensed to make his designs so they will be the place to get them from now on. Tom @ Accurate has some designs that are very similar and would do about the same thing, and both those guys make top notch moulds.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I have done well with Lee molds and they will custom make the diameter you want and this makes patching up to the desired size much easier with known paper thicknesses. I also have the Lee push through bullet lubricating and sizing kits for finished uniformity, for the .308 I use a .311 for finished size.
    I still use my Lyman sizing 450 press but the Lee is very easy to use for PPB's.
    Glen Roamer likes this.
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links