PP and BP for cowboy silhouette
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By nobade

Thread: PP and BP for cowboy silhouette

Sidewinder
    Member #

PP and BP for cowboy silhouette

Recently I have been playing with a duplex loaded black powder load for my 1895CB to use in silhouette matches. I have a Pedersoli mould made for the Gibbs rifle that throws a .451" bullet having very small grease grooves. Originally it was about 540 grains, but I cut a bunch off the top of it and now it throws a bullet just under 400 grains. I patch those with 15# green bar paper and size to .459" so end up with .460" after springback. .7cc IMR 4759 and 3.4cc FFg black, and a lube cookie consisting of a card wad, 1/8" lube, and another card. Bullets are hand seated and lightly taper crimped, no resizing done to the cases.

Since the silhouette matches are under a tight time limit, I don't have time to wipe - so the duplex load. I have found I can shoot this as long as I like (or my shoulder holds up) with no fouling build up or difficulties. So far it's extremely accurate, certainly as good as anything else I have tried in it, and today I fired a whole match with no uncalled misses.

The Marlin has such a short throat the patch barely sticks out of the case, so doesn't get damaged during feeding. So far I can't find a downside to loading like this - never any leading, the bore is getting better looking the more I shoot it, accuracy is wonderful, and no fouling issues to deal with. Sure does knock those targets down in a hurry too!
    FredBuddy and Herrschutz like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nobade View Post
    Recently I have been playing with a duplex loaded black powder load for my 1895CB to use in silhouette matches. I have a Pedersoli mould made for the Gibbs rifle that throws a .451" bullet having very small grease grooves. Originally it was about 540 grains, but I cut a bunch off the top of it and now it throws a bullet just under 400 grains. I patch those with 15# green bar paper and size to .459" so end up with .460" after springback. .7cc IMR 4759 and 3.4cc FFg black, and a lube cookie consisting of a card wad, 1/8" lube, and another card. Bullets are hand seated and lightly taper crimped, no resizing done to the cases.

Since the silhouette matches are under a tight time limit, I don't have time to wipe - so the duplex load. I have found I can shoot this as long as I like (or my shoulder holds up) with no fouling build up or difficulties. So far it's extremely accurate, certainly as good as anything else I have tried in it, and today I fired a whole match with no uncalled misses.

The Marlin has such a short throat the patch barely sticks out of the case, so doesn't get damaged during feeding. So far I can't find a downside to loading like this - never any leading, the bore is getting better looking the more I shoot it, accuracy is wonderful, and no fouling issues to deal with. Sure does knock those targets down in a hurry too!
    nobade,

Wow, 4 years and first reply. I have used duplex loads in 45-100 and 32-40. I use 5% of the full BP charge weight for the smokeless primer charge with IMR-4227 or AA-Rel#7. I want to try AA-5744 next. I also have a few pounds of 5749 left. However, I have a load for the 32-40 that I save that stuff for. Also, I reduce the original full BP charge weight by the same weight as the smokeless charge. No grease cookie, just a soft coconut oil/bees wax grease.

Oh, Fg seems to be the best performer and highest velocity of the BP options with a large pistol match primer of choice.

Like you, I can shoot as long as I want or can without wipes between shots with duplex loads. The biggest cleanup job are the cases, not the rifle.

My favorite 45-70 lever silhouette load is a Paper Patch bullet as well. However, on the opposite end of the weight options. I use a 45 Colt 230 gr .452" plain base bullet wrapped with three layers of trace paper and 14 gr of Unique. She gets out the barrel at around 1,600 fps and rolls all targets over without issue. The recoil of a 410 shotgun and quicker lock time has really helped my scores.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links