Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Trailhiker II Pants ...

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  miket156 
#1 ·
I never thought I'd write a product review on pants :hmmmm: but I finally found something that I consider good enough to share my experience about. Here is the link to Cabela's for the pants ... Cabela's Unlined Trailhiker II Pants : Cabela's

Lets get the cons out of the way first as they are few in number. I really do not care that Cabela's name is on the pants both inside the waistband and on the outside above the right back pocket. What I do care about are the size of the belt loops which in this case favors the small side. I can easily wear my work belts but my Mernickle belt doesn't even come close to making it through them. Not such a big deal but enough to mention. After three weeks of my purchase, those are my only cons ... other than the "Made in China" tag on the inside :shot:.

The pros on these pants start with the fact they are the exact size of the jeans (all brands) I have been wearing for at least 8-10 years. I bought my first pair in the store in Lehi but ordered two other colors online a week later that they do not have in the store. The waist has an elastic band which helps those of us that lost our "six pack" stomachs a few years back. As you can read in the Cabela's link, there is an extra layer of material in the knee areas and in the back of the cuff area where jeans and other pants start to fray pretty easily. There is a reinforced area on the right pocket where you might clip a knife or in my case, I clip my ID badge for work. I have worn many holes through the years right in that spot in my jeans.

The pants are of seven pocket design as some would call cargo pants. I really like the material and have worn these pants in the cold of night and in 95* weather and was very comfortable in both situations. I have no restrictions at all bending, working, or lying around the house in these pants. I also want to mention they come in five colors but I bought three colors that didn't include khaki or tan. I bought the foliage, gunmetal, and otter colors but the others are okay too.

You might ask why? Why am I taking the time to write this review of pants made in China? It's a good question and here is my answer ... whether it be guns, a truck, a shirt, or most anything else, I take my time and "wait" until I find exactly what I am looking for. Some here will say these pants aren't high quality and you might be right and are more comfortable paying a lot more. My answer is for me ... at this time of my life ... in this economy ... this is my choice. I have been looking and passing up other choices for a long time. They are about $40 a pair and I am most certain will out last me. My intent was to find something for camping, hiking, four wheeling, and occasionally wearing to work.

See less See more
#3 ·
Most apparel is made in Asia. I checked out Cabela's website to check out the features, sizes, and price.

One great feature is that the knees are double layered fabric. If you do outdoors, that is an important feature to have. The heavy weight canvas fabric wears like iron. Can't beat the price.

The only negative I could see is that it is 100 percent cotton. I've done hiking, camping, backpacking, and snow shoeing in North Central PA for years. It rains and snows here often. I have seldom gone for a long day hike without the weather changing. Even though it is heavy cotton canvas, if you are out in heavy rain cotton absorbs water like a sponge. It does not dry while you are in them either. In cooler weather you will get cold if your pants are wet. All the hiking clothes I have are synthetic fabric. If it rains, synthetic fabric does not hold water. Some years ago I bought a pair of The North Face hiking pants. Back in the ninties they cost me almost 90 bucks. Double fabric on seat and knees.articulated knees. More features than a BMW. I will say that heavy duty canvas will certainly last longer and won't get ripped up on sticker bushes. However, for staying dry, I like synthetic fabrics.

If you are doing outdoor things and not doing long hikes out in the weather where you can get wet, those Cabela pants would work great.

Cheers!

Mike T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.