Back to Botswana Tuli Block Jun 2020 & Aug 2020 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Back to Botswana Tuli Block Jun 2020 & Aug 2020

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Just a gratuitous Sat evening bump.

The gentleman who has committed to the second spot for the Aug 2020 trip really wants to take Pkg #4. Need at least two more to go and and take Pkg #4. If we get three total to go, I'll take Pkg #4 as well to make the four shooter min.

As a side note - if you're interested in Pkg #4 but not necessarily the exact mix of species, and numbers of culls and trophies, I know Gerhard will do some exchanges of species and culls vs trophies for the same price and we'd all still the a hell of a deal on a lot of animals. If this would interest you, send Gerhard an email and tell him your interested in going with one of these groups and what you'd like. [email protected]

Sidewinder
    Member #
    What rifle - cartridge - bullet combinations do you use for these class 2 and 3 animals ?
    Team 444 Number 777

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Minimum caliber is anything 7mm and big as you want to bring. Any of the 7mm with a 140gr TSX or a 308 with 150gr TSX loaded to at least 95% max will do complete broadside pass through on zebra up to 200yds. Will be fine on eland if you put the bullet in the vitals. My point being, don't need the big boomers. The relatively short shooting distances, under 150yds. With the terrane and cover, this would be a GREAT place to take a lever gun from 30-30 and up.

If you go down and read my trip reports for Jun and Jul 2019, all Bob was using was a 308 with 150gr TSX, except he used his 375 Ruger with 270gr TSX for the roan and croc, and my wife and I were using 30/06's with 180gr Speer Grand Slams. I did use my 375 Ruger with 300gr brass solids on the giraffe. In all my trips over to Namibia, RSA and Bots, I've used everything from 308, 30/06, 375 Ruger, 45/70 and 450 Marlin in Marlin 1895's, bolt guns and H&R single shots.

We just need two or three more guys to commit to the Aug trip and pkg #4.

Still have two to three spots open on the Jun trip. The June trip can be either one of the 1x1 pkgs or two can go together and do a 2x1 pkg. If need be, since I'm doing a 1x1 myself, if just one more wants to go and split a 2x1 I'll take the other half of that to make it work. For Jun, I'll also take a spot on pkg 4 but that means a least three more need to take the other spots.
    Last edited by m3taco; 01-03-2020 at 08:00 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    thanks. so a 444 marlin as the primary gun and a 7mm bolt as the spare would be reasonable equipment ? Package 4 in August would be close to $ 10,000 bottom line ?
    Team 444 Number 777

Sidewinder
    Member #
    A 444 with a good premium bullet would be more than enough. I can just about promise that you and a 1895 Marlin in 444 would probably be the very first if not the only person to use one in Botswana,
    You're 7mm is perfect for impala and loaded with 140gr TSX, you could use on all of it.

Your $10K total "all in" is EASILY doable and depending on where you're originating your airfare from, you might be able to add a few extra culls or an extra trophy. Estimate economy class r/t airfare somewhere between $1800-$2500.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thanks again. Good to know I wouldn't need much new gear.
    Team 444 Number 777

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If you hunt at all, you're already likely to have 95-98% of all the kit you need for a typical African plains game safari. Most of what you see on the TV shows is marketing crap. The only thing you might need to purchase is a very good quality hard side rifle case like a Storm/Pelican or Plano AW2 rifle case - $125-$200 on line and a good heavy duty lockable case for your ammo.

Here's a quick check list of what you need for a typical African PG safari:

1 - Accurate rifle of 7mm minimum caliber or larger - check
    2 - Heavy duty lockable airline approved rifle case -
    3 - Zippered soft case for on the truck - check
    4 - Good pair of uninsulated, broken in leather hunting/hiking boots - check
    5 - Four changes of hunting clothes - check
    6 - Set of 8-10x30 or 40 binos - check
    7 - Small/medium knife - check
    8 - SMALL backpack or multi pocket green/khaki hunting vest -

Everything else is just EXTRA. Here's the deal.......

Rifle - Your PH doesn't give a crap if you show up with a single shot H&R or a $50K big bore Rigby double rife. What he wants to know and will be the MOST impressed with is if YOU can put a bullet where you need to with the rifle(s) you bring - PERIOD! I've used single shot H&R's, single shot Ruger #1, lever guns a 45/70 double rifle and bolt guns, non of witch cost more than a little over $1000, including the scopes. Calibers have been from 308 Win, 30/06, 375 Ruger, 45/70 (shingle shot, DBL rifle, lever and bolt), 450Marlin (shingle shot lever and bolt). To be honest, the most "fun" has been with the H&R's and lever guns. I even completed the RSA PH licensing school with a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 450Marlin! Outside of a semi-auto rifle, there is NOTHING faster than a lever action for rapid fire follow up shots - NOTHING! Part of the PH school qualification was a simulated "charge". There are are three targets placed at 30m, 20m and 10m. Each target has a 2" black square. You stand at the ready line with your rifle slung on your shoulder with three rds. in the mag and chamber empty and weapon on safe. At the whistle, you have 15 seconds to put one round in the black starting with the 30m target and clear the weapon. I did practice this before going to the school. At qualification day at the school, all six of us where on the ready line, me with the Marlin and the other all had bolts. Whistle blows and I have all three shots in the black before any of the other guys got their second round off. Instructor initially thought I had only shot once until he looked at the targets. He thought it was a "fluke" and I had to do it again - twice more. Have the third run on video and under 8 sec.

If your rifle doesn't have fixed iron sights, you might want to bring a spare scope that is already zeroed for the rifle.

Boots - normal leather hiking style or taller hunting. Uninsulated because it's not that cold and you'll be walking most of the time. I prefer leather over Gortex or ballistic nylon because leather is quieter with moving through the thorn bushes and less likely to let a thorn through.

Clothing - DON'T buy into the marketing hype BS they push on all the TV shows! All you need 4x changes of clothes. Wear one set, one set in your carry-on, two sets in your checked bag. Laundry is done everyday while "in camp". Camo is fine while "hunting" but is generally not allowed in "public" over there. Just any khaki or dark green pants/shirts. Dickies from Wal-mart are fine. Truth is I buy all my "hunting cloths" from the local thrift stores. Can completely "outfit" myself for a 14-day hunt for under $50. The thorn bushes in Africa are everywhere and your stuff will get torn if you're hunting hard. LEAVE THE SCENT BLOCKING CRAP AT HOME! If you show up with that crap, your PH will won't say anything, but he'll be laughing his ass off on the inside! He won't be using it nor will your tracker(s) etc. Just more marketing crap!

Binos - A decent set is nice to have. You don't need to go out and buy the latest multi-thousand dollar latest range finder Zeiss or Swarovski 20x50 stuff. YOU are not responsible for "judging" the horn length of the game - that's your PH's job. What you do need to do is be able to see the various animals in the herd he's describing to you so that when you transition to the rifle, you know/understand what particular animal to shoot. Keep your binos on the smaller side and light. 8x30 or 8x40 is MORE than enough. 10x stuff, in my opinion, is just a bit too much magnification for the average hunting locations there. For under $200, you can find some pretty good 8x30 class binos online, like Nikon and Leupold. If you're willing to buy used with lifetime warrantees, you can really find some great deals. Just send them straight to the manufacturer to have checked and serviced and you'll have a like new set for 1/4-1/3 the cost of the same set new.

SMALL backpack or multi-pocket hunting vest are very handy. I personally prefer a multi-pocket hunting vest over a backpack. You don't need to carry a lot of crap with you! I ALWAYS carry at LEAST one .5lt bottle of water in the game pouch in the back of the vest whenever I get off the truck. A little ceramic knife sharpener, a little first aid kit, a small Leatherman multi-tool, a little toilet paper, a pocket pack of Handi-Wipes and a whistle. I put 5-8 extra rounds loose in one pocket and carry my smartphone (turned off) or a small pocket camera in a pocket. That's really all you need when off the truck. I've found trying to occasionally belly craw with a backpack AND the rifle over my back just doesn't work for me.

If someone actually commits to one of these trips, I've got a complete planning guide either I or Gerhard will send to you with all of this and more, in detail.

Bottom line is - these hunts are actually more accessible/affordable than most guys think. Granted, no matter how you cut it, an African trip is a good bit of money but, think about how much money a LOT of guys spend on just deer hunting here in the US. Land leases, ATV's, trucks, trailers, campers or camping gear, travel to/from etc. or the cost of "guided hunt" in the US. If you actually "run the numbers", you might find that a 10-day, multi species/multi animal PG safari is not that out of reach.

Again, since Gerhard's website is down while it's being updated, if someone want to see 3 min video of our Jun 2019 hunt, just PM me your email address and ask.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quick Update:

A gentleman who hunted with Gerhard last Aug also, David, had such a good time, he saw Gerhard at the Houston SCI show and will be joining the Aug 2020 trip. So, here are the open spots.

June 16-25 - Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 13 Jun, arrive J’berg 14 Jun and arrive in camp mid afternoon on the 15th. Start travel back on 26 Jun and you should be home on 27 Jun.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
    Slot 2 – Confirmed (Bob)
    Slot 3 –
    Slot 4 –
    Slot 5 – Optional

Aug 15-25 – Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 12 Aug, arrive J’berg 13 Aug and arrive in camp mid afternoon 14 Aug. Start travel back on 25 Aug and you should be home on 26 Aug.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
    Slot 2 – Committed - Kevin
    Slot 3 – Committed - David
    Slot 4 –Interested but not yet 100% committed (hunter/observer)
    Slot 5 – Optional

If these dates don't work for you, you are more than welcome to contact Gerhard directly via email, [email protected] or via Whatsapp Messaging service +267 75 414 214. He will be at our home here in Tampa 5 & 6 Feb. PM me and I'll give you my cell number and you can call and talk to him directly.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Here is a quick update on open spots for the trips.

June 16-25 - Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 13 Jun, arrive J’berg 14 Jun and arrive in camp mid afternoon on the 15th. Start travel back on 26 Jun and you should be home on 27 Jun.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
    Slot 2 – Confirmed (Bob)
    Slot 3 – Confirmed (A.D.)
    Slot 4 –
    Slot 5 – Optional

Aug 15-25 – Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 12 Aug, arrive J’berg 13 Aug and arrive in camp mid afternoon 14 Aug. Start travel back on 25 Aug and you should be home on 26 Aug.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
    Slot 2 – Committed - Kevin
    Slot 3 – Committed - David
    Slot 4 –Interested but not yet 100% committed (hunter/observer)
    Slot 5 – Optional

Gerhard also has the prime PG "dark of the moon" dates open in July. Contact him directly for dates. I'll still help with your airline planning and paperwork if you can't make either of the trips above and book separately/directly with him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links