Bay Area (California) resident looking to get into Hunting and perhaps tab along?
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By nhgaudreau
  • 1 Post By marlinluvr
  • 1 Post By Marlinjunkie
  • 1 Post By mrguvna
  • 2 Post By Haiku_Rodney

Thread: Bay Area (California) resident looking to get into Hunting and perhaps tab along?



  1. #1
    Tinhorn
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    31
    Member #
    40516
    Thanked
    7 times

    Bay Area (California) resident looking to get into Hunting and perhaps tab along?

    Not all of us in California hate guns

    I'm 32 and work in tech here in Silicon Valley. I've done a lot of shooting competitions and his the range regularly, but I've never hunted.

    My new year's resolution was to try hunting at least once this year, but everyone I know that hunts lives on the East Coast. I have all the gear I need to hunt boar or deer already (30-30 rifle, boots, etc), but nobody to show me the ropes. I spend a lot of time camping and hiking, so I'm not stranger to the outdoors either.

    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but would anyone be willing to let me tag along on a hunt? I don't even mind traveling a bit (<2 hour flight preferred), but I would just need to know in advance or it would have to be on a weekend. I don't even mind if I'm just there to spectate. I just want to see how it's done and how you go about it. I want to learn!

    If there's a better place I should be looking for something like that, please let me know! Thanks!
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    1979 336
    ____ 1894C

  2. #2
    Marlin Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,897
    Member #
    19834
    Thanked
    21134 times
    Hope you can find someone to getcha goin and on the right track. If you enjoy being out in the woods, once you go you'll be hooked, even if you don't get anything! Good luck!
    nhgaudreau likes this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

  3. #3
    Marlin Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida, Germany, France
    Posts
    12,190
    Member #
    13314
    Thanked
    20209 times
    Good luck! Hope you find someone.
    nhgaudreau likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Swamps of Virginia
    Posts
    7,356
    Member #
    34489
    Thanked
    15278 times
    might be worth your while to go on a guided hunt for the species you are interested in from a reputable guide. They can teach you a lot if you are willing to learn. Many ways to hunt, many things to hunt. Just don't fall into the trap of buying expensive hunting trinkets, expensive camo, scent blockers etc.. can spend waaaaay too much money before you ever leave the cabin.
    nhgaudreau likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

    life member NRA

  6. #5
    Wrangler
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Haiku, Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    300
    Member #
    62295
    Thanked
    814 times
    mrguvna has a good suggestion. I had a start similar to yours. No one in my family nor any friends that hunted. I enjoy the outdoors so my hunting started as hiking in the woods with a gun. Here in Hawaii, in my area, you can hunt pigs from February through June and its 40 minutes from my home so I was able to spend a lot of time in the woods. The 1st year I think I got 3 pigs, been learning ever since. I personally do not like to take anyone along when I pig hunt. Having another person along creates a lot more noise. Learn to step softly, walk quietly, keep the wind in your face and learn patience.

    If you do not want to go with the guided hunt, I would suggest planning hikes in hunting areas to familiarize yourself with the area and to look for sign. By the way in my neck of the woods, the pigs come out late - usually after 4. I spend the day walking around (I have gotten pigs midday) but usually figure I will get one late in the afternoon.

    Good luck and good hunting.
    mrguvna and nhgaudreau like this.

  7. #6
    Tinhorn
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    31
    Member #
    40516
    Thanked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinluvr View Post
    Hope you can find someone to getcha goin and on the right track. If you enjoy being out in the woods, once you go you'll be hooked, even if you don't get anything! Good luck!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlinjunkie View Post
    Good luck! Hope you find someone.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    might be worth your while to go on a guided hunt for the species you are interested in from a reputable guide. They can teach you a lot if you are willing to learn. Many ways to hunt, many things to hunt. Just don't fall into the trap of buying expensive hunting trinkets, expensive camo, scent blockers etc.. can spend waaaaay too much money before you ever leave the cabin.
    Yeah, I've considered guided, but it's just so damn expensive! I'm trying to avoid that. I did sign up for some free boar and deer hunting classes that the CA Wildlife org throws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haiku_Rodney View Post
    mrguvna has a good suggestion. I had a start similar to yours. No one in my family nor any friends that hunted. I enjoy the outdoors so my hunting started as hiking in the woods with a gun. Here in Hawaii, in my area, you can hunt pigs from February through June and its 40 minutes from my home so I was able to spend a lot of time in the woods. The 1st year I think I got 3 pigs, been learning ever since. I personally do not like to take anyone along when I pig hunt. Having another person along creates a lot more noise. Learn to step softly, walk quietly, keep the wind in your face and learn patience.

    If you do not want to go with the guided hunt, I would suggest planning hikes in hunting areas to familiarize yourself with the area and to look for sign. By the way in my neck of the woods, the pigs come out late - usually after 4. I spend the day walking around (I have gotten pigs midday) but usually figure I will get one late in the afternoon.

    Good luck and good hunting.
    Thanks! The problem is, I'd have to drive a decent distance to get to BLM or National Forest land, so I would prefer to know what I'm doing or where I'm going before making that trek alone. I've definitely considered it though.
    1979 336
    ____ 1894C


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Hawg hunting in Pensacola area?
    By rpm in forum Hawg Hunting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-02-2017, 12:48 PM
  2. Elk hunting area is burning
    By M700 in forum General Gun Related Off Topic Stuff
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-30-2013, 07:29 PM
  3. pig hunting in sandhills area NC
    By milinnc in forum Hawg Hunting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM
  4. My hunting area is burning...
    By M700 in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 03:53 PM