Vortex Viper PST Gen II FFP 5-25X50
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VSala

Thread: Vortex Viper PST Gen II FFP 5-25X50

Deadeye
    Member #

Vortex Viper PST Gen II FFP 5-25X50

Thought I'd wait until I've had a good amount of time behind the glass before writing a review and my opinion on it. First I'd like to point out I'm not sponsored nor am I affiliated with Vortex. That being said let me proceed.
    Rifle the scope is mounted to is a Remington 700 Police in 308.
    Scope I"m reviewing is the Viper PST Gen II First Focal Plane with the Illuminated EBR-7C MOA reticle. Sunshade included in the box also.

Cost: For a First Focal Plane high end rifle scope it's really reasonable. While it isn't in the same class as the HD scopes out it is also a whole lot less expensive. Prices will range around a bit but if you look and wait it can be had for as little as $899. Generally the street prices are $1000-$1150.

Pros: Extremely repeatable on tracking. Half click off on illuminated reticle, hard zero turn stop on elevation, a lot of internal elevation adjustments, VERY clear glass and love the reticle for hold overs including windage.

Cons: Needs to be offered with the larger 56mm lens, and 34mm tube. Very limited distance eye to eye piece for full view, this part is a major to me and needs addressing by Vortex. I would venture to say less than 3/4" you either can see or not see through the scope.

The clarity of glass is phenomenal! I've looked through HD scopes and couldn't really see any difference and even the Night force optics I looked through show no clear increase or better vision. Keep in mind that was hand held and not mounted in the field.

The reticle is first class and the hold overs are very nice. This is truly a sniper's type of scope. If that is what you are looking for. The Viper Gen II is also available in MIL-Rad for all our military personal and those more familiar with Mill-dots. I've included a picture of my reticle below.

The zoom or power ring is a little stiff but not horrible. I put a Vortex Switch View lever on mine just to make it a little quicker and smoother. I feel it could be a little easier to turn but that's my personal opinion.

Both the windage and elevation turrets are very precise with positive click more by feel than audible. Once you've got your rifle set for zero at what ever distance it is a little process to set the hard stop but once you do it's right there. It involves removing the outer turret cap via 3 little set screws. Then look at where the graduation is on the inner knob, rotate that the way down loosen the 3 little set screws and turn it back to the mark you had set your distance zero to. Tighten the little set screws up, return the outer cap making the "0" on the little line on the body, tighten those little screws and your done. You won't be able to go lower on bullet impact for closer ranges until you go all the way back and losen the inner screws up reset zero well you get the idea. The windage is less complicated but it doesn't have a "hard" stop. Once zero is set, loosen the screws up and rotate the outer cap to zero by pulling it nearly off then back on with the zero set to the mark on the body. It may sound like a lot but honestly it's pretty easy and straight forward to do. Vortex also includes the allen key you need to do this with.

This scope is very sensitive to any movements. It will show you everything including your heat beat, even at mid power settings! It's taken me a bit to get used to the first focal plane reticle as I'm used to the reticles always being the same size no matter the zoom power settings.

Illuminated reticle. I think Vortex again fell a bit short on this one. I love the half click off feature without a doubt. How many times have you forgot to return the illumination back to off after using it only to get your rifle later to find a dead battery. Where they stopped a bit short was in the illumination. It only illuminates the horizontal and vertical crossairs along with the hash marks on these. However the hold offs and overs off to the sides and below are not. This makes a shot in very low light where you didn't wish to try and dial in a dead hold shot, but would just hold off for a bit of wind nearly impossible or a "guess". This to me isn't good in a scope at this price point and quality. The reticle is black and the below image shows it all red which isn't correct and I pulled that off of Optics Planet's description. It's there to let you see what I do.

Tracking is phenomenal. I did a full track using not just corner to corner but corners to multiple elevation and windage points. Not only did it track perfectly straight it was also repeatable as I went around the horn so to speak of 3 x and shots stacked on top of each other. This is where in my opinion this scope shined above others I've tried. This tells the shooter that if I have to make an adjustment for wind or any other reason with the turrets I know my point of impact WILL be there if I do my part.

All in all I'd rate this scope a solid 8.5 out of 10. The reasons for the knock down would the illumination and eye relief down falls. Had those not been there it would be a solid 9.5 easily. Corrections in that plus making this a 56mm objective lens for additional light gathering and you would have a solid 10 on anyone's scale.

Scope Specs:

Color: Black
    Magnification: 5 - 25 x
    Objective Lens Diameter: 50 mm
    Tube Diameter: 30 mm
    Illumination Type: LED
    Illumination Color: Red
    Eye Relief: 3.4 in
    Exit pupil: 2 - 10 mm
    Field of View, Linear: 4.8 - 24.1 ft at 100 yds
    Parallax: 25 yds to infinity
    Focus Range: 25 yds to infinity
    Lens Material: Glass
    Optical Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
    Attachment/Mount Type: Ring
    Battery Type: CR2032
    Battery Life: 150 hours
    Weather Resistance: Yes
    Water Resistance Level: Waterproof
    Shockproof: Yes
    Fogproof: Yes
    Length: 16 in
    Width: 6 in
    Height: 2.3 in
    Weight: 31.2 oz
    Finish: Hard Anodized
    Fabric/Material: Aircraft Grade Aluminum

reticle.jpg scope.jpg
    7619-5s.jpg newleftside.jpg

Edited for spelling errors.
    Last edited by VSala; 07-21-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    Shooter4570 likes this.
    Team 35 Rem #781 JM 336 in 35 Remington
    Team 30-30 #1438 JM 336 in 30-30
    Team 38-55 #27 Mdl 1893 in 38-55
    Team 1894 #586 JM 1894 in 44 mag
    Team 22 Mag #190 XT-22M
    Team Henry #146 Frontier 22LR
    Team Wheel Gun #131
    Team Semi-Auto #75
    Team Old Pharts #389

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links