Best Dot Sight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Best Dot Sight

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Best Dot Sight

As some know I was once in the gun trade. Great fun. Also, the firm did consultancy, even more fun. Anyho, whats that to do with the price of eggs you ask? Recently for a dealer I have run tests on a bunch of dot sights. Now I have used them in the field in the past, from EOtechs to Aimpoints, so have some idea what I am looking at. Bottom line, best quality and extra features at a good price, the SIG Romeo5.

Like so many (Not the Aimpoints) they are Chinese made, and now those in the US are paying extra (Tariffs), I dont know the price. But I cant imagine they are a lot more then they were.

Anyway, I dont sell sights, I have no bias but if anyone is out there looking for a decent compact dot, take a close look. I especially like the motion sensor that turns the unit off if not moved for a couple of minutes. A real battery saver and comes back on with the slightest touch.

I hate to say this, but I was always an Aimpoint man. Used them on everything. The SIG is no Aimpoint, but its close and about a third the price. Though no sight I ever saw came close to their battery life. Five years left on! But you pay for that and not everyone needs it.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 01-18-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Did you run parallax tests on all those red dots, if so, which had the least parallax?

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I have looked at some red dots, what is the best moa I have seen them, 1 - 3 moa. I would think 1 would be the best, but don't know for sure.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Yup, 1 moa is the smallest. I agree that the Sigs are a pretty nice red dot. but I think the Holosuns beat em out overall. They're VERY tough. and long battery life.
    the field of view is a little more "open" and their side wall of their casing is the thinnest ive seen which practically fades away when looking thru the site. and their shake awake feature is just the same as the Sig's. auto off after 1 minute stationalry, and instant on when moved.

If money isnt an option, Trijicons and the new vortex are also fantastic dots. pretty much the only dots I cant rattle to death eventually on pistols
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I think that 1 MOA is a bit small for rapid target acquisition. I'd advise 2 MOA or even 4MOA for under 100m.

Just an observation (not a criticism) but the SIG Romeo5 seems to mount very high over the bore. Maybe not a problem for black rifles, but definitely an issue for Lever guns which don't have much of a cheek welt anyway.
    Prickle Farmer

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Parallax seems similar on all, minimal. Dot size, kinda down to what you are doin but I find 2 moa to be the best do-all. 3 moa is also ok.

The parallax is an interesting question, I shoot dots with both eyes open, the naked Mk1 eyeball has no parallax, so I dont see any issue on a practical level. As a rule I try to centre the dot in the image anyway.

Another issue for many is eyesight, and what you actually see. Some see a flare rather than a precise dot. A great trick is to take a photo of the dot, maybe with a phone camera. Compare the photo with what you see with the eye. They will often be different.

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Another tip with dot sights, sighting in.

I use a large black target, say six to eight inches. Shoot n see make a perfect oval target. I set the dot as weak a possible while I can still see it. I can place the dot on the black shoot n see target, and with black around it makes it easy to see and centre. This works really well for me at either 50yds or 100 yds.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Depending on your specific needs there are many types of all price points as you've seen. Assuming since it's a red dot, this is for closer range stuff not to say they are not able to go out a much further distance.

I used to have a EOTech 552 on my 10.5" Colt for work. I also used to lose my zero every month and could not afford the liability associated with that. This was just prior to the lawsuit EOtech went through. EOtech says they've fixed this but I still do not have the trust in them. I switched to a Trijicon MRO and love the wider field of view. I shot it on a Colt side by side with an EOTech on a day shoot and a night and thought the field of view was not even comparable.

Other options if you're wanting something cheaper is the Vortex lines of Sparc. I've got some of those on training rifles I use for loaners and have had great luck on them the past 3 years with no issues on battery life or losing zero.
    Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Tranteruk. please educate me on red dot sights as I have never used one. I have a 1895 SBL with a scout scope mounted on the rail with quick release mounts. It appears that red dots include mounts are built into the unit. Are they quick release and do they return to zero after removing and re-installing? In other words can I take my scope off and mount the red dot?

Padraig

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    Tranteruk. please educate me on red dot sights as I have never used one. I have a 1895 SBL with a scout scope mounted on the rail with quick release mounts. It appears that red dots include mounts are built into the unit. Are they quick release and do they return to zero after removing and re-installing? In other words can I take my scope off and mount the red dot?

Padraig
    OK, red dot mounts fall into two main mounting groups, those that are part of the sights body and those that are removable. The removable ones can be sub divided into quick release and fixed. Some sights have commonality in the mounting, for example I found my Romeo5 fitted my quick release LaRue mount, from my old Aimpoint Mico perfectly.

If I read your need right, its the same as mine. I like my dot sights to be quick and easy to remove and prove a good return to zero. The LaRue mount has proven to be the best, quick and easy to remove, a lockable lever along the side. Also a good return to zero. Its made for the Aimpoint Micro but fits the SIG Romeo5. When looking for a dot sight, I look carefully at the method of securing it. Is it a screw, maybe a Allen bolt or a tool less option, like a hand lever or with a coin slot. like the Athlon BTR 11.

Dot sights are many and varied. I suggest avoiding any too cheap. One thing is if possible have a look at the dot. Many have an eyesight issue that turns the dot into a flair, starburst effect. Not a reason not to use them, but not ideal either.

Look out for a PM from me.
    Padraig likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links