Lowest height 1” Weaver / Picatinny type scope ring.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Lowest height 1” Weaver / Picatinny type scope ring.

Wrangler
    Member #

Lowest height 1” Weaver / Picatinny type scope ring.

Hello all. I received a new Leupold FXII 2.5x20mm scope for Christmas that I’m putting on my 1895 Guide Gun, and I want to get it as low as possible. Since the scope has a straight 1” tube all the way out to the objective, and since the front end of the ocular lens bell is behind the base, I hope to find rings that will get the turret structure almost touching the base. The tube will be a little higher off the base since it’s smaller than the turret structure.

I know that “low” rings vary in height between different manufacturers, so I thought I’d ask if any MO member knew which Weaver / Picatinny type ring is the lowest of the low rings.

Thanks in advance.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Weaver brand rings are about as low as I've seen. I'm talking about the bent steel strap type. Not pretty, but very functional - and near perfect repeat ability when removing and replacing.

The Picatinny rail was inspired by the weaver system and interchanges well.

AC
    WRM, Prickle Farmer and mikom like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    A couple other brands make rings that use Weaver bases. I replace any rings I take off with steel conventional rings. Some of cheap rings are aluminum which I don’t care for.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Steel rings are usually smaller, thinner, lower than aluminum rings. The aluminum needs to be thicker to approach the strength of the steel. Any steel rings you get in "low" will only be a mm or two different in height.

To tell for sure, you'll probably need to compare them side to side. That likely means a trip to a box store or large LGS that has several different makes of rings.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Deadeye
    Member #
    These
    WEAVER Quad Lock 1-Inch Medium Detachable Rings

41zvoc8HwlL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    Tim​

"There Are More Things in Heaven and Earth,
    Than Are Dreamt Of In Your Philosophy."

Power to the proper people at 600 yards

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    Weaver brand rings are about as low as I've seen. I'm talking about the bent steel strap type. Not pretty, but very functional - and near perfect repeat ability when removing and replacing.

The Picatinny rail was inspired by the weaver system and interchanges well.

AC
    From the info I’ve been able to find, you are turning out to be correct. The Weaver “original” ring in low height is 0.089” from the base of the ring (where the ring contacts the top of the cross-slotted base) to the bottom of the scope tube. The closest thing I’ve found to it is 0.173”. I know that’s a small difference, but what I have now is taller than 0.200, so it should help.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Steel rings are usually smaller, thinner, lower than aluminum rings. The aluminum needs to be thicker to approach the strength of the steel. Any steel rings you get in "low" will only be a mm or two different in height.

To tell for sure, you'll probably need to compare them side to side. That likely means a trip to a box store or large LGS that has several different makes of rings.
    I’ve been finding pretty much the opposite. The very lowest I’ve found so far is the Weaver Original, and it’s aluminum on the bottom half with a steel strap on top.
    Last edited by Remus Redbone; 12-27-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Henry Ford

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The very lowest I’ve found so far is the Weaver Original, and it’s aluminum on the bottom half with a steel strap on top.

I'm very interested to see this scope, and those rings you speak of here.

I have an 1895 GS and have considered purchasing the XS ghost ring and rail setup (as was factory equipped on my recent 1894 SBL). I have an FX II 2.5 X 28, but I've not seen the 2.5 X 20...

Thanks for your time. I'll be watching your progress here with interest.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Team .45-70 - #1978
    Team 1894 - #415
    Team Wheelguns #137
    Team Rossi - #48

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Apples.357 View Post
    I'm very interested to see this scope, and those rings you speak of here.

I have an 1895 GS and have considered purchasing the XS ghost ring and rail setup (as was factory equipped on my recent 1894 SBL). I have an FX II 2.5 X 28, but I've not seen the 2.5 X 20...

Thanks for your time. I'll be watching your progress here with interest.
    Two significantly different scopes. Linear field of view at 100 yards is the big one for me. I’ve been through the scout scope phase with an XS Lever Rail system and a Burris 2.75x20. I found that I can’t use a magnifying sight with both eyes open (can do fine with a red dot), and can’t live with the field of view or the reflection off the ocular lens of a scout scope, so it’s back to a conventional scope for me albeit one with a little longer than typical eye relief.

FX-II 2.5 x 20; https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfi...light-2-5x20mm

FX-II Scout IER 2.5 x 28; https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...t-ier-2-5x28mm

.....and the rings; https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477113938?pid=792508
    Last edited by Remus Redbone; 12-28-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    Apples.357 likes this.

Henry Ford

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojaileveraction View Post
    These
    WEAVER Quad Lock 1-Inch Medium Detachable Rings

41zvoc8HwlL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Base to bottom of tube is listed as 0.168” for medium Quad Locks and 0.089” for Weaver low top mounts. Quad Locks don’t come in low, even as listed on the Weaver web site.
    Cowboy23* and gunscrewguy like this.

Henry Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links