Crimson Trace laser sight on a handgun??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Crimson Trace laser sight on a handgun??

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Crimson Trace laser sight on a handgun??

I just bought a CT laser and I don't know a thing about them.I have never used one before but thought I would give one a try because my eye sight ain't what it used to be.The literature I have read on them say they are sighted in at the factory and only need minor adjustments once installed.It also says that rarely does the adjustment screws need to be turned more than a 1/4 inch.After installing the sight the red dot was way to the right and low at a sighting distance of around 15 feet.This seems extreme to me so I removed the sight and checked for obstructions or some other problem.Everything looked good so I reinstalled it and it looks like everything fits right.The seam is tight and it fits the gun like a glove.It still zeroed to the right and low.I have not tried adjusting it yet because I am not sure if it will adjust that far and I don't want to get it to far out of wack by over adjusting it.
    I am wondering if any of you guys have any experiance with this type of sight and could you give me some advice??
    Thanks
    Marlinjunkie and Scorpiusb like this.
    The essence of retirement;

Like oats through a horse......so go the days of my life.
    I'm only in my 60s,I have a nice long life ahead......big plans.
    Eating,sleeping and swatting flies......life is good.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Had a CT on an LC-9 and had to adjust it a fair bit... I adjusted it and it performed flawlessly...
    jackdaniels and Marlinjunkie like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I like them on snub noses the best but have them on a 1911 and a beretta too. The kind of artificially extend the sight radius which is a wonderful thing for the snubbies.

Note that the diode is located to the right and under the bore so they are only zeroed for both elevation and windage at one distance. I like the dot to sit just above my sights at 25-30 feet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I have red CT on my .380 Ruger LCP and a green CT laser on my Springfield XDS. Both of them took very little adjustment. What handgun is yours mounted on? Have you fired it to see where the POI is? Crimson Trace is supposed to have excellent customer service I would try sighting it in and call if there is a problem.

Padraig

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Just realize a CT laser is NOT meant to be a talisman for precision shooting! It's merely an aid to insure you hit the target, namely - the threat you're defending against!

If you want bottle-cap accuracy with one, you're going to have to do a lot of work and practice. They're meant to merely insure a hit on the bad guy while under extreme stress and duress. In other words, "if you can dot him, you got him".

I've had one on my carry pistol for years. They can be adjusted for pin-point accuracy, at a specific distance. But, as that distance changes, the impact point in relation to the laser changes. Grip screws loosen, the laser changes. It's not perfect, just realize that. But center mass hits, no problem.
    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....
    - George Gobel

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have them on my carry guns. Kahr P380, Kahr CM45...wish they would make them with the green laser for better visibility in bright light.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have two on Smith&Wesson revolvers. They correspond to my iron sights at 40 feet or so. I think 15 feet is way too close to set them for. They have both worked great for years, no trouble.

Luisyamaha
    Marlinjunkie and jackdaniels like this.
    Speak softly, but ride like hell!"

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have one on my Smith 642 and one on my Kimber Ultra Raptor II. What the others have said. Not really for pin point accuracy, but close enough to get the job done.
    jackdaniels likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thank's for all the replies.
    The Crimson Trace is going on a Ruger sr9c.I have not set it to any distance yet.I was just checking out how it aligned with the iron sights at 15 feet.I expect to set it at 30 to 40 feet when I get it to the range.I understand that the CT is for self defence and not for target shooting.Self defence is what I got it for so I wont be shooting bottle caps but I will site it in on paper targets.My problem with the CT was that it was so far off from the iron's poa I was worried that it would not adjust that far.I am going to give it a go at adjusting it and see where I stand from there.
    Last edited by jackdaniels; 11-25-2019 at 07:05 PM.
    Padraig and Marlinjunkie like this.
    The essence of retirement;

Like oats through a horse......so go the days of my life.
    I'm only in my 60s,I have a nice long life ahead......big plans.
    Eating,sleeping and swatting flies......life is good.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    It will adjust unless you are off by feet at say 15 foot distance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links